Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th March 2023, 23:16   #1
Wuvz

Rover 75 Tourer

Default CDT MAF sensor question

My diesel 75 needs a new MAF sensor. Ideally of course I would treat it to a shiny new genuine Bosch sensor, but those are a bit spendy, so I'm looking at alternatives. Of course there are the 30 quid no-name eBay specials which will last until the end of my road if I'm lucky, but I've also seen sensors made by Magneti Marelli, who are (or always used to be) a reputable brand. Does anyone have experience of these and are they a decent alternative to Bosch?

The other option is to go down the Pierburg route (I already have the Ron box), but I have one of BigRuss's finest 160bhp remaps and I'm not sure how compatible the Ron box is with that?

Thanks.
Wuvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 00:14   #2
Lee T
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

There is the one from a 5 series BMW, you can remove the sensor and transfer into the MGR housing. Does void the warranty but is much cheaper. I think it's the 530D MAF but sure I'll be corrected if wrong.

Lee.
Old 20th March 2023, 07:21   #3
Jamiewelch
Posted a thing or two

Alpina D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuvz View Post
My diesel 75 needs a new MAF sensor. Ideally of course I would treat it to a shiny new genuine Bosch sensor, but those are a bit spendy, so I'm looking at alternatives. Of course there are the 30 quid no-name eBay specials which will last until the end of my road if I'm lucky, but I've also seen sensors made by Magneti Marelli, who are (or always used to be) a reputable brand. Does anyone have experience of these and are they a decent alternative to Bosch?

The other option is to go down the Pierburg route (I already have the Ron box), but I have one of BigRuss's finest 160bhp remaps and I'm not sure how compatible the Ron box is with that?

Thanks.

Bin off the Ronbox, buy a Bosch MAF. Why do you have a box and a map? If the car was already mapped to the maximum it could produce fitting a tuning box would just cause black smoke to pour out the back.

If you want even more power and don't want to buy a MAF, I'd recommend a Mafless remap performed by someone who knows how to do them followed up by a dyno run for insurance purposes.

Please see the last few posts in the thread below, the posts after mine.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=323385
Jamiewelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 09:12   #4
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
(I already have the Ron box), but I have one of BigRuss's finest 160bhp remaps and I'm not sure how compatible the Ron box is with that?

Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

Hi Dave.
Seeing that you already have a upgrade map from Russ then remove the Ron box, has it will eventually damage the (HPFP) high pressure fuel pump, which will be more expensive than the upgrade and the Ron box put together, should you have to purchase a new one, or at the very least you will need to repair the HPFP seals and regulator.

Only fit a genuine Bosch MAF to our cars, even if it come from the BMW which the insert only is used.

do not be fooled by adverts saying that a genuine MAF insert can be purchased for our cars they can't.

Make sure it is in the whole unit.

Genuine Bosch MAF will have this stamped on the insert.
F 00C 2G2 029

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 12:08   #5
Wuvz

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the BMW option - that's one I wasn't aware of.

Just to clarify, I removed the Ron box when I fitted the remapped ECU - the box is stashed away in a cupboard at the moment. I wasn't sure whether it was possible to use the box purely as a MAF compensator and fit a Pierburg MAF, but it doesn't sound like that's a good option.
Wuvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 14:39   #6
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuvz View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'll look into the BMW option - that's one I wasn't aware of.

Just to clarify, I removed the Ron box when I fitted the remapped ECU - the box is stashed away in a cupboard at the moment. I wasn't sure whether it was possible to use the box purely as a MAF compensator and fit a Pierburg MAF, but it doesn't sound like that's a good option.
No that is actually a very good and relatively inexpensive option. Set the Ron box to its MAF compensator , if this is an option, and the Pierburg MAF is a long lasting and excellent alternative for a significant saving on the Bosch. I have used one for years, but it is entirely up to you, certainly go for the genuine Bosch replacement if you prefer, just make certain it is a genuine one, use the info from Arctic above to ensure you purchase the real thing.
Good luck
grivas is offline   Reply With Quote