Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th March 2023, 08:23   #1
SomersetJeff
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Diagnostics tools

Been doing a bit of reading on the forum about diagnostics tools. I do have access to someone with a T4 but I don't always want to be running to them for help.

Therefore, looking at other options such as the pscan or TOAF. Can anyone give me some personal experiences? I'm leaning toward a pscan (as it can do lots of other MGR models) but would welcome some real world experiences.

Thanks.
SomersetJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 11:30   #2
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Depends a bit on what you want to do, if however you want to diagnose MG/Rover vehicles other than Rover 75 then Toaf can't help and you'd be better off with Pscan. Toaf however is freeware, donate if you wish.

I have a T4 and Toaf and for basic fault finding and changing settings, Toaf is my first choice not least for the ease of setting things up. I can connect Toaf in perhaps 15 secs, the T4 with all its cables etc would be more like 5 minutes.

Toaf has some capabilities beyond the T4, but for deeper diagnostics the T4 comes into its own.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 14:58   #3
SomersetJeff
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Depends a bit on what you want to do, if however you want to diagnose MG/Rover vehicles other than Rover 75 then Toaf can't help and you'd be better off with Pscan. Toaf however is freeware, donate if you wish.

I have a T4 and Toaf and for basic fault finding and changing settings, Toaf is my first choice not least for the ease of setting things up. I can connect Toaf in perhaps 15 secs, the T4 with all its cables etc would be more like 5 minutes.

Toaf has some capabilities beyond the T4, but for deeper diagnostics the T4 comes into its own.

Regards
Thanks, Vitesse. That's helpful Seems like TOAF would be a good starter then (as I'm only doing R75 stuff at the moment). Is there a recommendation for the cable that's required? Thanks.
Old 20th March 2023, 15:25   #4
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Most welcome - this cable is 100%, I've bought a couple and others on this forum. You can get them cheaper but it's a lottery whether they'll work or not, and you'd have to then solder the pins yourself.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174768878...3ABFBM3OCe_d9h

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2023, 15:55   #5
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Most welcome - this cable is 100%, I've bought a couple and others on this forum. You can get them cheaper but it's a lottery whether they'll work or not, and you'd have to then solder the pins yourself.

Link: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174768878...3ABFBM3OCe_d9h

Regards
I couldn't be bothered with soldering pins so bought this cable and can confirm it works well.

I came across this Toaf user guide in the past that might be helpful: https://www.mg-rover.org/threads/i-c...-guide.846794/

I did have a bit of trouble installing the cable drivers beforehand though. I had to download some software from a 3rd party website:
https://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...ble-on-windows

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)
Matt_75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2023, 10:37   #6
SomersetJeff
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer

Great, thanks everyone. I think I'll try TOAF with the suggested cable.