Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th November 2023, 08:02   #1
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Default Dashboard bulb out light

Hi, my warning light came on a while ago, I checked all lights and there was a reversing bulb not working. Needed replacement holder as the contacts were broken. Replacement fitted and all lights, including number plate bulbs, are working. Any suggestions why the warning is still on? I do have to replace the brake light switch, a job that I can’t wait to do!! As the brake lights sometimes (very occasionally) stay on, Cheers, Roy.
Caulkhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 08:55   #2
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Are you sure a tail light has not failed and the brake light has dimly light as a safety measure? Are the front lights working?

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 09:26   #3
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Thanks, no all bulbs are working
Old 19th November 2023, 09:33   #4
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Try re-postioning the brake switch. Get a finger on top of it and with the brake pedal slightly depressed push the switch down until it bottoms out. Then slowly release the brake pedal.
If it is the switch and you have a manual car then good luck with replacing it. Just done mine and it was a right pain! Didn't have enough spare cable to refit the sensor plugged in so I had to fit it and then fit the plug.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 10:41   #5
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

No it’s an auto, did it ten years ago on my previous tourer got into positions that were almost unbelievable 😂. So might this cause my dashboard light?
Old 19th November 2023, 15:16   #6
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

This may well be the root cause of all your bulb warning lights. Sort this out first and then see how things go.Be sure to get the correct switch from rimmers. My favourite way for this is to remove the headrest/ wind the backrest fully back/and then pull the seat fully back. get some clean cloth on the underside of the pedals to rest your head on , and drape your legs over the seat top. Its best to renew the switch holder and switch in one , as either can be worn. As you have done this job once before , im sure you cannot wait to get stuck in !!! Nasty job , but it is what it is . I dont know why these switches fail so often, but if someone goes under there with a hoover or similar rummage around , it disturbs the switch. Carwash boys really dont give a damn about these things , including airbag connectots ,under the seats. Happy to say i keep well away from these places .... good luck ...
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2023, 15:45   #7
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

I’ve got a replacement from Dmrgs, light has only been on for a week, brake light has been playing up intermittently for ages. As for your tip on getting to it to replace, you must know that I am the fittest 73 year old on the Isle of Wight!. I will give it a go this week, do I need to remove any panels under the steering wheel?
Old 19th November 2023, 16:35   #8
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

You will need to remove the facia panel under the dash and the one behind the pedals. They are held wth press turn clips in the footwell and at the side. Some people remove the light switch unit on the right unplug it and get their arm through to help with inserting the switch. I usually remove the switch and then the holder . leaving an empty location. Then i put the holder into the bracket,and put the switch into it, just enough to hold it in place ,and then insert the unit as one . You can then press the holder fully home,followed by the switch pressing that fully home . As suggested , press the brake pedal loose play down to finally adjust the position ,as you press fully home. You need some decent lighting under there. and need to rest your head now and again.!! I am more than sure that after all this , you will feel the benefits of being a fit 73 yr old contortionist come bedtime... Its three years now since my last replacement switch , and i dont relish the next appointment as i have the same birth year as you , and although i do well doing these jobs , im not 21 any more , as my body keeps reminding me ......
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2023, 18:18   #9
Caulkhead
Avid contributor

Rover75 Tourer

Tested every bulb and connections, could not find a fault, and warning light stayed on.

So in desperation disconnected the battery for a day, reconnected, and as yet no warning light.

I just love my 75!!