Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th August 2009, 15:36   #1
GERFIX
I really should get out more.......

MINI COOPER S

Default Fuel Pumps Gone & Going

Well, it appears that my in-tank fuel pump has given up. Nothing happening under the back seat within the first minute of the ignition being switched on. And now the under-bonnet pump is giving me problems too. Sunday morning saw me cranking the engine for what seemed like an eternity until I gave the pump the obligatory tap and, hey presto, engine life!

What I need to know is this; do I need to replace both pumps or will I get away with just the in-tank one? I intend using the excellent how-to to utilise the cheaper Peugeot pump for the in-tank. But do I need to replace the under-bonnet one too?????
Help.................

GERFIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 15:52   #2
davidm_uk
Regular poster

R75 CDTi Saloon (53 reg)

If the underbonnet pump is already "iffy" then it certainly won't get any better, so best to replace it.

Running the car for any length of time with the in tank pump not working puts extra strain on the u/b pump and cause it to wear quicker. The problem with both pumps is that the copper commutator (the bit that the brushes rub on) wears out, that's why the u/b pump sometimes sticks on a worn bit and it can be shaken loose by bashing it.
davidm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 17:22   #3
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

Heres a link to the donor pump i used https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/basket.asp easy enough apart from getting fuel pipe off the old pump , ended up pouring hot water from kettle on it and hey presto it popped off also replacing the rubber ring on top of tank took a couple of attempts till i understood it had to be pushed down and round the lip before trying to screw back on .
Old 24th August 2009, 17:27   #4
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyboy View Post
Heres a link to the donor pump i used https://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/basket.asp easy enough apart from getting fuel pipe off the old pump , ended up pouring hot water from kettle on it and hey presto it popped off also replacing the rubber ring on top of tank took a couple of attempts till i understood it had to be pushed down and round the lip before trying to screw back on .
Hi Tammy boy

the link on your thread opens up on to an empty shopping basket,any idea as to what pump it was?

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 18:13   #5
Tam
Posted a thing or two

05 ZT+, 04 ZT+, 64 P6 2.0, 74 P6 V8s, 75 P6 V8, 92 214Si, 04 25 Td, 02 Defend , 05 ZR 105+ x2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Hi Tammy boy

the link on your thread opens up on to an empty shopping basket,any idea as to what pump it was?
Sorry works fine for me maybe something to do with cookies , anyway GSF part no is T18326 , about £100 delivered .
Old 25th August 2009, 10:19   #6
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Thanks guys. Does anyone have a part number for the under-bonnet pump and where's the best place to get one?

Old 25th August 2009, 19:06   #7
ivanilicleskovac

Rover 75 Saloon 2.0 v6

Default it is possible to do the replacement

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ead.php?t=4512
I think at this address you will find all necessary information. Slightly better review forums and exchange entrust professional person. I'm on my R-75 2.0 V6 engine replacing the defective pump with Puegot pump 1.9 DCI, and I have no objections to her work.
ivanilicleskovac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 07:06   #8
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Just a wee update on this. Things have been running fine until yesterday when I had the works van and Mrs G called me to say the car wouldn't start. However, she followed my instructions and gave the under bonnet pump a couple of taps after which the car started.:lol: She wasn't chuffed to say the least.

Needless to say I have now ordered the Peugeot in-tank pump from GSF Car Parts and that is my mission next weekend.

Also, I found THIS on eBay yesterday. Seems quite cheap - well, more or less half the OEM price. Any comments or suggestions are welcome on this one. I appreciate the "go for OEM items" line but the truth is I'm not paying OEM prices for these pumps - hence the well documented Peugeot route. There is ANOTHER on eBay at the moment too. Looks similar to the one above.

Old 17th October 2009, 07:21   #9
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Hi Colin - guess what I'm working myself up to to do today..............

Replace the in-tank pump. Mine's not been working for ages, but I've been putting it off. Wrong, I know!

I've not bought the Peugeot one, but found - thanks to a link on here - a pattern (?) Rover insert for £79.99 + p&P. My local dealer had a tank seal in stock, the only concern is that the obstructions that came with the pump suggest replacing a piece of the fuel hose. Around here 5/16" (8mm) fuel hose is like the proverbial rocking horse poo, so I'll have to be really careful.

I'll (hopefully) post later on when the job's done

Old 17th October 2009, 09:44   #10
GERFIX

MINI COOPER S

Good luck Malcolm. I wish I'd done something earlier too! Lovely day up here for it too!