Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2009, 19:40   #21
pondweed
This is my second home

Waiter, Waiter! I seem to have a Roomster in my drive...

you ought to check out if this is still for sale
http://brighton.gumtree.com/brighton/61/44261161.html
he ebayed it at 5495 and think he would have taken 5 - perhaps less!

There were a few pics added of small scuff damage but I dont think it sold on there.

You dont want a manual unless its just had a clutch ideally, partic if its done 90k plus.... could be another £1000 on top of your purchase price...

The facelifts, although not as good looking, are probably best for reliability - later spec cooling fan, only one fuel pump that never goes wrong like the earlier ones etc.
pondweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 21:52   #22
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Hi Pondweed :lol:,

Thanks for the interest - I looked at the car - lovely, and very low mileage, but about 1k out of my price range, which is around 4k. I'm also interested in what you say about manual diesels over 90K. I was under the impression that the automatics, when they go, are more expensive to fix, so it's a bit roundabout and swings. However I'm just learning about the 75, so this may be a case of "a little knowledge. etc etc. Please feel free to share your knowledge...

cheers
Leander
Leander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:01   #23
Leander
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer CDT 02, Connoisseur SE in Royal Blue Pearlescent + XPower Upgrade & Synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverowner View Post
Well, well what a suprise!

Leander is a Swedish surname... wouldn´t be yours perchance??. I did the first 2 years of med school in Umeå. Hope you did the treck in the summer!!! Farthest I´ve got so far is Whilemena. The Norweigen/Swedish mountain range is fantastic. The Kings Way is said to be great (no roads though) Must do some of it before I get too old

Come from sunny (ha ha) Bournemouth, ended up here 33 years ago (got on the wrong boat) No, there were very good oportunities then, not so good now. The 75 is the best car I´ve had so far, and the club is great. Lots of very friendly people who don´t mind sharing their knowledge and a good joke.

Contempary looks more like the ZT have a look at the threads Reebs has given you and you´ll see.

There are some right -characters- so enjoy yourself Alan
Hi Alan,

Wow - thirty three years in Sweden, I wonder if you've managed to learn the language (if there's any need that is) - I had a stab at last year while visiting a friend in Lulea, and found it very difficult indeed. Actually I've always fancied living in Sweden, and keep looking for excuses to go there, when I have the time and money. As for my name - first name is Leander, middle name is - Alan, but Swedes have made your very comment.

But back to cars. Before I got into the 75 I looked at the V70 pretty closely - I liked it's rugged looks, but not its typical modern car interior. Being over there where V70's are ten a penny, and cheaper than over here, I wonder if you were ever tempted? Actually the thought of you being so happy with your 75, with all those v70s around, makes me feel even more assured that I made the right choice!

Catch you later

Leander
Old 24th September 2009, 11:06   #24
johnnyallan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer CDTi 03

Talking Rover75

my last words (GOOD LUCK)
johnnyallan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 19:50   #25
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Wink

[quote=Leander;391631]Hi Alan,

Wow - thirty three years in Sweden, I wonder if you've managed to learn the language (if there's any need that is) - I had a stab at last year while visiting a friend in Lulea, and found it very difficult indeed. Actually I've always fancied living in Sweden, and keep looking for excuses to go there, when I have the time and money. As for my name - first name is Leander, middle name is - Alan, but Swedes have made your very comment.

But back to cars. Before I got into the 75 I looked at the V70 pretty closely - I liked it's rugged looks, but not its typical modern car interior. Being over there where V70's are ten a penny, and cheaper than over here, I wonder if you were ever tempted? Actually the thought of you being so happy with your 75, with all those v70s around, makes me feel even more assured that I made the right choice!

Catch you later

Leander[/quote)

Hello again!

Leander isn´t all that uncommon as a surname (the famous 30s and 40s actress - Sarah Leander -)

As an english christain name mmmmm think I´ve heard it before but definately not -common-

Three girls (at the time 7, 10 and 12) taught me swedish in 3 months! What a slog. I was living with a family I´d met in London. They had very basic english so I was totally marooned, out in the country where they lived, for 3 months. After 2½ months I still couldn´t get the gist of it and was starting to give up. And then suddenly....... everything fell into place, started to think in swedish and the language came.
When I moved here, every one wanted to speak english, every one except moi. In the end, every time they asked me where the accent was from... I said Turkey..... then they all continued speaking swedish!!! Now I´m not so bothered, realize I haven´t managed to master either language really properly. Still the patients seem to understand the general lingo that comes out and I ocasionally cough up a -Que??- if their accent is too thick (my tinnitus doesn´t help). If you want to learn a language... chuck yourself in at the deep end

Next time you are over you must drop by. Linköping is quite central (on the E4) and nearer to Stockholm than -Lule-

Cars.... Had lots of Volvos. They say that the last real Volvo was the 900 series. After that Ford got in the way. A good friend of mine is one of the top blokes at Volvo when it comes to interiors. Testing designs, changing designs etc. When I say that they are rather rubbish these days, he looks at me and says -that they do the best with what they are given- If it wasn´t for the fact that they drink a bit... I would have a V90 estate (the last 960s) Everything came together... fantasic car.
What does he (Bosse) drive as every day transport, in all weathers.... A lexus L400!!!!!!!! He has a C70 an XC 90. Even one of the earliest Amazons (1957) and a 144 (1971)
Saab.....mmm Like Fords in one respect..... go like the clappers when new but after 5-6 years... everything starts to fall to bits. One of my collegues (another unreal doctor ... hello Christopher) Has had 95 estates with all the bits. The latest one was 3 weekes old when the instrument pack....pack.ed in. I like sitting in the back of my Volvo Pv from 1956, there is an -air- about it. Same feeling in the 75.
When I worked at Norrköping General Hospital I took the PV to work once and the girls said that it looked nice. I said that it took me 3/4 of an hour to get there (usual 30 mins). That can´t be very good they said... an extra 15 minutes. That´s the idea, I said love to drive the car
Same thing with the 75

Hope to hear from you soon Alan

Alan

Last edited by Roverowner; 24th September 2009 at 19:52..
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2009, 00:05   #26
Leander
Gets stuck in

hi Alan :lol:,

Thanks for your thoughts on cars, and sharing your language learning experiences. Sounds like you had youth on your side as well as when you learned - it does make a difference (though I've still not passed the half century yet).

I can't make the comparisons that you can in regard to cars, because I've actually not had that many. I used to cycle pretty much everywhere, then got hit by a car, the driver of which very kindly managed to drive over my arm in the process, turning my elbow joint into a mass of splinters. So I decided if you can't beat 'em join em, and when I could just about grip again I learned to drive. This was an example of it being harder to learn when you are a older - took me 30 lessons, though I managed to pass at my first attempt, to my driving instructors great surprise. Since then I've owned fords, but, as I said at the start of this thread, I've grown tired of the soulless plastic monotony of the interiors, and also wanted something that I really liked the look of on the outside too. In going for a 75 tourer I know I'm sacrificing space to say a V70, or handling to a Mondeo, and will probably spend more on parts, and maybe have trouble getting them as time goes on - but at least I'll be driving something I love the aesthetics of - which is rather important to me. And when I do get a good one, I plan to hang on to it for some time - hence it was good to hear your comments about not worrying too much about high mileages - though I still don't want to go over the 100K mark.

So on the car front, I'm still looking. Another member, Jezzer, is very kindly getting some pics for me at the moment of his ex-car, and it sounds like a serious option, if it comes within my budget. As far as I can tell over about ten secondhand tourer's appear over here each week, so something should come along eventually.

Oh, and thanks for the invite - if I get over again at some point, and am anywhere near you, I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers:lol:
Leander
Old 26th September 2009, 05:38   #27
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Hello again Leander.

Cycklists live a dangerous life. You were lucky it wasn´t your head that got fractured in several places!! Hope the physios did a good job on you early on so that the arm is fully functional now.

To answer your comments: I don´t think the V70 is bigger load wise than the 75 tourer. If so it can´t be much. The biggest load carrier of the Volvos was the 140/240 series. After that they made more room for the backseat passengers, moving the seats back, encroaching on the -boot- space. Volvos have got slitely smaller with every new model. All the larger estate these days have roughly the same load capability. The handling isn´t any worse than say a Mondeo (mundain o ), but I don´t throw mine about so I wouldn´t really know. I let all the cheep formula one racers overtake and disapear into the distance as they like. I would think that they haven´t seen what I have on the a & e! Otherwise they would play it down a bit. Can´t say that I would always stop if I found them wrapped around a tree further down the road. Trouble with the cowboys is they have a nack of surviving and killing innocents instead (families with small children for example - which I´ve seen in the past).

Have a good look round and take your time, as you say there are a lot out there. It beeing an -old mans- car means that lots of older people, who had the money, bought one which subsequently sat in the garage for the most part. Now when they are getting to the stage where they don´t drive any more, their children are selling them off cheep (cos Rover is such a bad make as you know!!!!) A friend of mine (we are both in the local antique car club - T Fords to Merc racers-) bought one off an old guy for a silly sum. A model 2000 with all the bits, BRG, and 3,500 miles on the clock. Relatives didn´t want that old thing, thirsty V6 and no service or spares He´s still got a smurk on his face

I´ve got a 1999 2,5 V6 auto saloon which has done 50,000 and in really good condition. PLUS a 2005 diesel manual tourer with tow bar and all the extras. Best of both worlds!

Give us a buzz when you get close to THE one (and we will pull it to bits for you) Alan
Roverowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 11:25   #28
Jezzer 1
I really should get out more.......

75 V8 Connoisseur SE Saloon: 75 V8 Contemporary SE Saloon and others!!!

Hi Leander.

Your mailbox is full, and I'm also getting a 'full' message from your hotmail address.
Old 28th September 2009, 13:01   #29
Leander
Gets stuck in

hi Jezzer,

Sorry about that I that - I should have 5GB of space at hotmail! I'll clear some stuff out now, and get back to you tonight. I've just cleared my PM inbox if that helps too. Catch you later.

cheers

Leander