Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th September 2009, 18:17   #1
Dockgreen

Rover 75 Club SE in Copperleaf

Default GEM, Breakdown Cover

Hi! Has anybody had any experience of breakdown cover with this company? in particular with the pay now and claim back, they are offering it for £62 and I just wondered if anybody has used them.
Dockgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 19:19   #2
Demon
Loves to post

BMW E92 325i Coupe & BMW E61 525i Auto Touring (Formerly ZT 190SE, ZT+ CDTi & 75 2.0 V6 Club SE)

I've used them before and consider it a calculated risk. That was a few years ago but if they're operating the same system now, what you actually get on a call-out would be a locally contracted recovery company, which obviously means the level of service you can expect to receive is dependent on how good the contractor you happen to get is. I had to call them out once whilst at a service station on the M6. Waited something like 2 hours for a local firm to turn up although in fairness it was around Christmas and quite a busy time and road I guess. As far as the claim back system goes, I didn't use that myself but I've read about other people's experience and have heard no problems re. getting your money back.

The reason I left was because their prices went up (paid £25 for basic cover first time) so I've been juggling between the big two ever since. What level of cover do you get for £62? This year I've only paid £59 for roadside and recovery (national, not just the 10 miles rule...) with RAC but think it's normally in excess of £100. As I say, calculated risk. Personally I feel more confident with the other two as they've always been very quick, very professional and in most cases their guys (and gals...?) seem to know their stuff - have had several spot-on diagnoses in situations where I wouldn't have had a clue what had gone wrong. Just my experience, naturally
Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 20:41   #3
slatlec
Regular poster

75 1.8T Saloon

I have used GEM for the last five years 1st year was very reasonable,over the years it has increased and is now £100. That is for the top cover,for myself and wife for 4 cars. 1 classic and 1 commercial.
Used only once, quick and efficient.
slatlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:14   #4
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

I currently use http://www.quotelinedirect.co.uk/breakdown/ cost is £59 per year, which is for the car not the driver, but it also covers full European cover as well!!!!

Haven't had to use them yet, so can't comment on what they are like but they are backed by https://www.europ-assistance.co.uk/ so the cover seems very good for the money!!

Freedom isn't free. Somebody paid!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 22:36   #5
steffo
Loves to post

'05 MG ZT-T 1.8T 160+,'89 MG Metro Turbo

Not used GEM.I'm with the AA and the last few times i've called them out they have always sent a local firm I never seem to get the real AA personel,maybe it's because I always call them when my Bike breaks down never the car :lol:
Old 29th September 2009, 22:42   #6
timborob
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8 Club Auto

I'm also with the AA and luckily haven't broken down for awhile
timborob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 14:02   #7
big_mac
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8

The last few years, I have alternated between AA & RAC - you can get about £20 cashback each year through Quidco or topcashback.co.uk etc.

That makes it very cheap if you just want the basic breakdown cover.
big_mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 14:22   #8
wutang
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 auto (LPG) & mg tf 160

I have just taken out cover with green flag for six of my work vans, £79 per vehicle for large Comercial Vans, that gives home start, national breakdown (no silly local rule.) and full european coverage.

This is half the price of AA or RAC Fleet scheme.

Richard
wutang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2009, 14:39   #9
gwp
Regular poster

MGF 1.8VVC

Just been looking at Autoaid, recommended on MoneySavingExpert.com, similar cover - claim back and seems to have good feedback.

£37 and covers you and partner - any car as far as I can see - looks like a reasonable deal.
gwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 19:03   #10
Dockgreen

Rover 75 Club SE in Copperleaf

Default GEM Breakdown Cover

Thanks very much for all the reply's, I will have to do some research. The £62 cover is for both my wife and myself, thats for us regardless of what car we are in.
Dockgreen is offline   Reply With Quote