Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th April 2007, 08:24   #1
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Thumbs down RJ... Fuel Prob's!!!!

Travelling back from southern climes last night I knew I wouldn't have enough diesel to complete the trip. I'd come from the Wycombe junction of M40 with the cruise control set on 80mph, so I pulled into Knutsford Services with a range of 80 miles showing on the trip com', no low fuel warning light,called in the cafe section and when i came out after about 15mins RJ wouldn't start.

I switched off for a minute or so and tried again, started, but spluttering. I made it into the fuel station and filled it to the brim, £50 quid's worth!!
She fired up OK, revved OK so away we went, just pulled into the first lane and the engine just died!!! Not a nice feeling!!! Pulled onto the hard shoulder and after a few minutes cursing I tried again,started OK and didn't miss a beat for the rest of the trip, been OK since.

It would seem that I now can't trust the comp' to a reading of lower than 100 miles or the low fuel warning light. Has anyone any advice/similar experience?

Incidentally, I've never been impressed with my fuel consumption, I'm averageing about 29mpg normally and on the trip last night 39mpg..which I don't think is good from a 2ltr diesel.

Regards
Old 13th April 2007, 08:32   #2
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Sounds like fuel pump or Maf sensor needs attention. Your mpg is rather low...should be in the 40 - 50 mpg bracket unless you spend all day in town or floor it everywhere.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 09:53   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

As Zeb says plus below.
The Auto Box will hit your fuel consumption for six. But a combined driving range should give you the higher 30MPG and much better on Motorways of Course.
If you haven't got one fitted Ron's Synergy will also help, not just by increaseing Power but by fewer downchanges therefore Improving MPG.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 11:59   #4
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

I typically get mid 30's, but just had a full service and am up to 37-38 mpg. I'm sure when I first had the car I could easily get mid 40's

I read several times about people getting more than this.

Any pointers?
How do I test the MAF
JohnFol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 13:21   #5
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

If it is a manual that's is really bad, if it is an auto pass as people seem to report wildly differing results

Pumps should not affect fuel consumption but a dying one in the tank till replaced may effect running and starting when near empty

And no I don't agree with this always keep the tank quarter full stuff except whilst awaiting repairs if you know the pump is shot

If you have one of rons boxes don't rely on the trip comp for mpg figures as it will change on every switch setting, fuel gauge should remain consistent though in as much as you should know over time how far your car will go on a given amount of fuel and the range you have once the orange light comes on
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2007, 13:40   #6
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

it's an upsolute, but I would have thought the calculation is done by comsumption / miles driven . . . .
Old 13th April 2007, 13:41   #7
JohnFol
Gets stuck in

75 Conn SE - X***VWY

... and manual ...
Old 13th April 2007, 14:33   #8
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontie View Post
Travelling back from southern climes last night I knew I wouldn't have enough diesel to complete the trip. I'd come from the Wycombe junction of M40 with the cruise control set on 80mph, so I pulled into Knutsford Services with a range of 80 miles showing on the trip com', no low fuel warning light,called in the cafe section and when i came out after about 15mins RJ wouldn't start.

I switched off for a minute or so and tried again, started, but spluttering. I made it into the fuel station and filled it to the brim, £50 quid's worth!!
She fired up OK, revved OK so away we went, just pulled into the first lane and the engine just died!!! Not a nice feeling!!! Pulled onto the hard shoulder and after a few minutes cursing I tried again,started OK and didn't miss a beat for the rest of the trip, been OK since.

It would seem that I now can't trust the comp' to a reading of lower than 100 miles or the low fuel warning light. Has anyone any advice/similar experience?

Incidentally, I've never been impressed with my fuel consumption, I'm averageing about 29mpg normally and on the trip last night 39mpg..which I don't think is good from a 2ltr diesel.

Regards
I would listen for the in-tank fuel pump (under the right hand rear seat).
Both this and the under bonnet one run for 20-60seconds with the ignition on.
Your symptoms could indicate that it has failed. (usually around 100k miles, but has been known to occur at about 60K)

Keeping the fuel tank above 1/4 full masks the problem.

Ron
Old 13th April 2007, 17:12   #9
apywell
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon. 2.0 Diesel Auto. Connoisseur SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jontie View Post

Regards
Hi John

I have the same 75 as yourself. I think my MPG is about the same as yours. I have found that MPG can be different on a return journey back from Hull. I have noticed that if you start the MPG comp while going downhill you will greatly increase your MPG. I can compare my 2ltr 75 Diesel with my old 2ltr Mondeo petrol.. The Mondeo didn't return anything like the 75. Of course if you did 75mph, you would get a better return MPG. Of course I would never be travelling over 70 mph as this would be breaking the law.....

Now has an S-Type 2.7 diesel V6 twin turbo with Jag voice, bluetooth, sat nav, front and rear park assist, electric fold mirrors etc, etc, etc.....
apywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2007, 08:50   #10
Jontie
Loves to post

Rover75 2.0L Conn SE Auto

Hi everone,
Thanks to all for the usual helpful replies,
Zeb, I suspect MAF/Fuel pump, but the milage is low. I have to go to the Midlands over this next few weeks so I'll try to get to RR's.

Ron, I'll have a listen then contact you to arrange a visit. Incidentally, there's 39,000 on the clock.