Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 18th May 2010, 11:09   #1
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Default Trying to install Vodafone dongle

I am trying to help install a Voda internet dongle for a neighbour. (She is very attractive )
As I'm still out here in Spain, I only have limited access to the internet myself, involving drinking copious amounts of beer etc. at the local WiFi spot.

Anyway, it self installs from the USB except that it appears that the relevant COM port does not get its driver set up.
I have established, by installing the dongle on another seemingly identical computer, that the driver name should be EWUSBFAKE and that it resides in the drivers folder in SYSTEM32.
This file is indeed present on the offending computer but steadfastly refuses to load even when pointed to, when forced, during a driver reload.
I can't find any conflicts of COMs or wLANs, but this is an area in which I am not competent anyway.

Any suggestions on what has got corrupted?
I've tried removing and reloading etc.

Forgot to say that both PCs are running XP Pro.

Last edited by Bernard LPG; 18th May 2010 at 12:07.. Reason: omission
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2010, 13:33   #2
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Afternoon Bernard. A couple of questions for your questions. First has the dongle finished it's install or stops part way through? Ie does the dashboard start and offer you the option to connect. Secondly has the young lady ever used a different network dongle as sometimes they will conflict as the ports have been asigned a driver ESP if any of the exsisting program remains...
If this is still baulking then with the modem plugged in. Fo into device manager and seek the USB modem and see if it is listed and also under external hub/drive. If so right click and delete them go into remove programs and delete the software and do a search for anything containing the letters VMC and delete those too, even if in the recyle bin. Reboot and insert dongle again. And only ever use that USB port as changing ports causes conflicts too.

Hope that's not too confusing. I'm not too good explaining things.
Old 20th May 2010, 11:15   #3
Bernard LPG
I really should get out more.......

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Afternoon Bernard. A couple of questions for your questions. First has the dongle finished it's install or stops part way through? Ie does the dashboard start and offer you the option to connect. Secondly has the young lady ever used a different network dongle as sometimes they will conflict as the ports have been asigned a driver ESP if any of the exsisting program remains...
If this is still baulking then with the modem plugged in. Fo into device manager and seek the USB modem and see if it is listed and also under external hub/drive. If so right click and delete them go into remove programs and delete the software and do a search for anything containing the letters VMC and delete those too, even if in the recyle bin. Reboot and insert dongle again. And only ever use that USB port as changing ports causes conflicts too.

Hope that's not too confusing. I'm not too good explaining things.
Thanks for your help on this.
Install appears to complete but comes up with message 'No device'
No previous dongle used. No bluetooth devices screwing up ports either.
I can't get to grips with why the drivers are not loading for the 2 COM ports involved.
I had already done most of the delete stuff except for the search and delete of all things VMC. I'll go and try that. I think that I will run out of time on this as we have to leave at the weekend.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote