Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th August 2010, 20:20   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Unfortunately I have read quite a bit on this subject and it appears that the cyl inside the gearbox is prone to splitting, if left unrepaired it causes wear on the transmission surfaces. This shows itself first by the loss of reverse gear, seemingly the others soon follow.

Hope it is something different on yours as others have suggested. Would check oil level and maybe an oil change. If the battery reset doesn't work, disconnect the multiplug for the gearbox on the nearside wing, spray with contact cleaner and reassemble.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 20:42   #12
9690harrison

Roveer 75

hi dave, if that was the cause ie the cyl split would reverse be achievable after the car has been stood for a while, i went out and tried reverse after it had been stood for about 1hr and it worked.thanks phil.
9690harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 20:53   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi Phil,
Not read anything on that, it would suggest the problem lies in the oil viscosity? If you drain the oil and there are black deposits in it or it smells of burning then it's not good news I'm afraid

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 5th August 2010, 21:26   #14
9690harrison

Roveer 75

see what the garage finds tomorrow, if its big job car can go back. will let know tomorrow how its turned out. thanks for all help and suggestions.
Old 6th August 2010, 03:00   #15
crofts
I really should get out more.......

2003 Rover 75 Conn. SE Auto Tourer 131 ps CDTi

Default Reverse

Re Parker's post above. Fortunately most of our members are living so that's a good suggestion !!!!
I think it is rare for the box to leak and therefore be low on fluid (or low enough to cause your problem)
I don't know what mileage your car has done and expect you don't know when the fluid was changed.
Doing so usually results in an improvement. (do a search) The recommended interval is 60,000 miles but I change mine every 30,000 (worth looking after box !) Don't forget a one time change only changes about 2/3 of the box contents.
(MUST use correct fluid)
Advice above to disconnect battery leads is a very common routine on our cars (30 mins) I have not heard of 'shorting' the cables though theoretically they should, of course be dead.
Of course it is ESSENTIAL to power down your Sat Nav first.
Please let us know how you get on.
crofts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 18:01   #16
9690harrison

Roveer 75

Unhappy

hi, update on gearbox, had fluid changed was a bit low says machanic but was clean that was in it.after driving for a couple of miles tried reverse same problem. seems when box wams up it happens? reverse is ok when car has not been used for a short amount of time. been intouch with man i bought it off who then got his brother in law to ring me who;s car it was ment to be,got a load of abuse, sorry but he is not the one who has ended up with a car with no reverse. any way found a auction ticket in glove compartment so hes bought it of the block to sell on. also he has sighned log book in previous owners name, naughty man. got tradeing standards and police involved now. hope this does not put me of rovers now coz i do like the car,sorry to go on. once again many thanks to all with suggestions.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:05   #17
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Sorry to near about this Phil, it does sound, as I suspect the box is on its way out i'm afraid, good luck with the action you are taking, hope you get sorted