Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th July 2007, 13:22   #11
Jon
Avid contributor

ZT 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
What I like to see are the speed-triggered "Slow Down - 30 mph Limit" LED signs, which to my mind are more efficient than speed cameras. Most of them have solar panels fitted too, for at least part of their power usage. I believe that these signs have a longer-lasting effect than either speed humps or cameras, as there isn't the immediate speeding up to the next one. Less "beating the system" syndrome, with drivers being educated rather than punished.

With number plate recognition facility added, they could also flash up the reg number. And even report untaxed/uninsured vehicles like the so-called safety cameras do.

Sorry, rant over,

Malcolm
I don't disagree with you Malcolm, and I think they're useful for those people who are a smallish margin over the limit and need a firm reminder. If they were capable of collecting details and show them they need to be centrally linked and effectively then become 'speed cameras' but without the pictures.

The tricky bit is where they are seen as a right of passage, or a challenge, in the same way that ASBOs are in certain areas. Flash the number plate up and have a mate standing by with a camera phone when your plate appears 'in print' on the LEDs. Post it on 'youtube' and another craze is born.

You're just down the road from me (I'm in Leighton B) and I'm sure we share some of the local 'yoof' in blinged Corsas and Clios who do not give a flying...toss that they're pushing 60+ in a 30 limit as they blitz past. "Flashing LEDs, mate; so what........?".

They're 18 or 19, and totally invincible.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 13:29   #12
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I don't disagree with you Malcolm, and I think they're useful for those people who are a smallish margin over the limit and need a firm reminder. If they were capable of collecting details and show them they need to be centrally linked and effectively then become 'speed cameras' but without the pictures.

The tricky bit is where they are seen as a right of passage, or a challenge, in the same way that ASBOs are in certain areas. Flash the number plate up and have a mate standing by with a camera phone when your plate appears 'in print' on the LEDs. Post it on 'youtube' and another craze is born.

You're just down the road from me (I'm in Leighton B) and I'm sure we share some of the local 'yoof' in blinged Corsas and Clios who do not give a flying...toss that they're pushing 60+ in a 30 limit as they blitz past. "Flashing LEDs, mate; so what........?".

They're 18 or 19, and totally invincible.
Good point well made. You see I'm in Tring, so I wouldn't know about these things..............................:SHOCKED:
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 15:34   #13
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Better a speed hump and supposed possible damage to a car than a dead pedestrian. As far as I am concerned driving around in a ton of metal has certain responsibilities attached to it. Unfortunately there are too many irresponsible motorists. Speed humps are there to make motorists slow down because they are too ignorant / selfish / stupid to do it of their own volition...once again the British public get what they deserve....:lol:
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 15:50   #14
Raistlin
Banned

75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
Better a speed hump and supposed possible damage to a car than a dead pedestrian. As far as I am concerned driving around in a ton of metal has certain responsibilities attached to it. Unfortunately there are too many irresponsible motorists. Speed humps are there to make motorists slow down because they are too ignorant / selfish / stupid to do it of their own volition...once again the British public get what they deserve....:lol:
I'm not one for "Couldn't agree more" posts.

However, in this case...I couldn't agree more - well said.

While I'm about it, the flashing speed limit signs which appear in random locations to shame you into slowing down were originally set up to display your speed rather than to flash up the speed limit.

You can imagine what a challenge THAT was to the local chavvery

Last edited by Raistlin; 19th July 2007 at 15:53..
Raistlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 16:05   #15
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
I cannot disagree with any of this, Zeb, but speed humps also make many drivers speed up, between the humps, and as I said in an earlier post, try to beat the system by doing so. Ditto Gatso cameras.

I don't know what the answer is, if indeed there is one answer, I know I'm in a better frame of mind when I see the Slow down signs than humps or cameras, I don't know, it just seems to make me feel more responsible somehow.

Malcolm

(not that it makes any difference, but 44 yrs driving, clean for 38 of them, then 3pts for an SP30, now clean again)

Last edited by baxlin; 19th July 2007 at 16:08..
baxlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 16:23   #16
Zeb
Banned

MGZT V8 & ZTT 190+LPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxlin View Post
I cannot disagree with any of this, Zeb, but speed humps also make many drivers speed up, between the humps, and as I said in an earlier post, try to beat the system by doing so.........

I don't know what the answer is, if indeed there is one answer
Simple answer; put speed humps between the speed humps:lol: If they are speeding up between them they are too far apart. Ok, I would only go to that extreme in certain locations, ie. outside schools but if there is serial idiotic behaviour going on then it would at least make such behaviour thoroughly uncomfortable and costly.
Zeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2007, 22:50   #17
Simon
Banned

-

Default The answer is education

It's always been education and I'm not talking about school as kiddies. What I'm talking about is making sure everyone who hold a driving liscence understands what it means, the rules of the highway and the implications (of which are very serious) if you break those rules.

Learner drivers need to be told in plain blunt facts what the result of excesive speed can do. They need to be told that they are driving a killing machine.

As someone who is training to be a driving instructor I know all too well the importance of educating learner drivers. Many simply rush through their lessons and fail to make the time to develop their skills and gain knowledge from their instructor (whom should be educating them).

It's very much a common misunderstanding that "learning to drive" is just about a handful of manouvers and knowing a few traffic signs. Anyone who thinks that is completely missing the point and quite frankly, should not be allowed to drive. Learning to drive is about understanding, respect and consideration. It's about understanding what the cause and effect of ones actions are (be that speeding, drink/drug driving etc). It's about respecting other road users (their passengers, other drivers, pedestrians etc). It's about consideration for themselves, others and the environemt (speeding up and slowing down at speed humps causes unnesecary polution for example). All of these things need time to be taught effectively and the learner driver needs time for these things to be absorbed, fully understood and then put into good practice.

The government today announced a proposal to have a minimum term for learner drivers in order to improve their road-awareness and reduce the number of accidents in new drivers. I fully support this initiative as it will certainly help the learner driver to gain valuable experience whilst in the company of a qualified professional whom can guide and teach.

The biggest killer on our roads is not speed but the ignorance and arrogance of the drivers on them.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote