Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd April 2014, 06:43   #101
tareim
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT+ 160 v6

It's only getting off track as people keep steering it away, closing wouldn't be good as we haven't found out if the ZR shields are any good yet
tareim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:52   #102
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 1.8T, MG GS Exclusive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMax1000 View Post
Modification is what Essex boys tend to call mutilation when it comes to cars

We can go on forever like this

Since joining in 2013 (9th April) this is the only thread you replied to (14 times )
Maybe I have stepped on some sore Essex toes.

Maybe a mod can close this thread as it is rather getting off track
You don't have to be from ESSEX to have a distaste for elitists and snobs.
MG-Rovers get enough stick - we don't need it in our own community forums when we decide to enhance our cars instead of purchasing some carbon copy car just to feel better about ourselves.

As you might have guessed, I am on this thread and this forum because I am interested in adding a duplex exhaust which is a modification or in your words, a mutilation.

I picked up a ZT a few weeks back and I originally joined this site to keep tabs on the for sale section.

I have been a member on www.mg-rover.org for quite some time under the same name so if you'd like to do a background check there too you can. You'll be able to find out join dates as it would seem that it is important to you as well as read all the threads and topics I've commented on. Get a real feel for me.

Closing the thread won't stop people enjoying and enhancing their cars buddy, sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareim View Post
It's only getting off track as people keep steering it away, closing wouldn't be good as we haven't found out if the ZR shields are any good yet
Back on track, my MKII ZR heatshield should arrive this Friday - I'm painting the calipers and drums on the MG3 this weekend so I'll see if I can squeeze in a size up session to see how the heatshield looks.

I'll take pictures as I go along.
Pistonbroke666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 17:09   #103
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistonbroke666 View Post
You don't have to be from ESSEX to have a distaste for elitists and snobs.
MG-Rovers get enough stick - we don't need it in our own community forums when we decide to enhance our cars instead of purchasing some carbon copy car just to feel better about ourselves.

As you might have guessed, I am on this thread and this forum because I am interested in adding a duplex exhaust which is a modification or in your words, a mutilation.

I picked up a ZT a few weeks back and I originally joined this site to keep tabs on the for sale section.

I have been a member on www.mg-rover.org for quite some time under the same name so if you'd like to do a background check there too you can. You'll be able to find out join dates as it would seem that it is important to you as well as read all the threads and topics I've commented on. Get a real feel for me.

Closing the thread won't stop people enjoying and enhancing their cars buddy, sorry about that.

Back on track, my MKII ZR heatshield should arrive this Friday - I'm painting the calipers and drums on the MG3 this weekend so I'll see if I can squeeze in a size up session to see how the heatshield looks.

I'll take pictures as I go along.
I do happen to agree with you here. I don't have any problem with people enhancing their car. Mine has modifications as well.
But I think it always has to based on the original. A S/C on a ZT260, 19" wheels etc. are modifications on a original car, as could a double exhaust be on a ZT190...for that matter. I think it's been said before but a V8 badge on a 120 is just wrong.

What I don't like is people jumping in with both feet, guns blazing and calling people names (douche bag springs to mind). There is no need for that and as the poster I replied to didn't feel it was offensive (at least not that I know of)and saw it as the 'banter' it was supposed to be (hence the and the other smiles).
Then I'm compared with a bully when referring to 'banter' and now snob and elitist.

If things said in general are taken personal I do, maybe unfortunately, react.

If you like some background on me and my passion for the MG's in general and 260 in particular, have a look at the 260ties, username Herman.

Anyway, this thread is back on track and I wish people success in their quest for exhaust shields as one day I may have to replace mine.

Last edited by VMax1000; 3rd April 2014 at 17:48.. Reason: spelling
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:35   #104
dissy1810
Posted a thing or two

mgzt 160 1.8 lpg

[QUOTE=VMax1000;1628196]I do happen to agree with you here. I don't have any problem with people enhancing their car. Mine has modifications as well.
But I think it always has to based on the original. A S/C on a ZT260, 19" wheels etc. are modifications on a original car, as could a double exhaust be on a ZT190...for that matter. I think it's been said before but a V8 badge on a 120 is just wrong.

So what is with the dig at my car which clearly from the photo does not have any badge other than what came with it ? What looks better, a gas filler stuck in the body pannel or one in the fake exhaust ?
dissy1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 19:47   #105
Fusilier
Moderator / RS North East

MG ZT T 180,MGF Freestyle, Jaguar XKR Convertible and XF

Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,309 Posts

So what is with the dig at my car which clearly from the photo does not have any badge other than what came with it ? What looks better, a gas filler stuck in the body pannel or one in the fake exhaust ?[/QUOTE]

Steve

I very much like what you have done with the exhaust, by having the gas in the fake exhaust, it is a great engineering feat

stu

Project Gruple http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=213155
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 20:45   #106
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissy1810 View Post
So what is with the dig at my car which clearly from the photo does not have any badge other than what came with it ? What looks better, a gas filler stuck in the body pannel or one in the fake exhaust ?
Based on your previous reply I thought it was all done an dusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissy1810 View Post
I'm not a wannabe, I wanted a nice practical place to put my lpg filler and using the offside fake exhaust to house the filler was a way to keep it neat, I'm not trying to make it look like a faster car and if I wanted a badge on it I would quite happily put a 1.8 badge on it . I don't need a v8 to brag about
Apparently it's not and you feel the need to expand on this.
As far as I'm concerned I made a general statement people seem to have taken offence to.

For that I apologise...................

What I can't stand is attacking an individual for making a general statement and I am still waiting for an apology for that.

I don't have an issue with an open discussion with you as I replied to your post but I do feel offended when other people see it as an opportunity to have a dig.

Again I wish you all the best in your efforts with the exhaust shields
VMax1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2014, 21:23   #107
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Little update, the ZR heat shield was too big and went too deep.

We've decided that we're gonna experiment with some fibre glass and maybe some carbon fibre, making both a left and a right.

I think it's the better option and will hopefully result in quite a decent finish.

Need to get hold of a spare MKII ZT heat shield now.
Let me know if you come across one!
Old 7th April 2014, 23:28   #108
bikerdude666
Posted a thing or two

Jaguar Xe diseasal

How much heat does it actually need to withstand? Just thinking you may be able to get some made up using a 3D printing company. Then maybe 'paint' it with a 'fire guard' topcoat/gelcoat.
bikerdude666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2014, 05:38   #109
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerdude666 View Post
How much heat does it actually need to withstand? Just thinking you may be able to get some made up using a 3D printing company. Then maybe 'paint' it with a 'fire guard' topcoat/gelcoat.
That could be a good option.
My girls twin is a designer and I know she's worked with 3D printers before so I'll ask her if she can point me in the right direction.
Old 8th April 2014, 06:50   #110
Pistonbroke666
Posted a thing or two

On the subject of 3D printing, if anyone here happens to have the exhaust shield drawings or is good at 3D CAD and can save as an STL file do let me know.

May be able to make a mini run of left and right exhaust shields...