Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th April 2008, 01:25   #111
merc1836

none at the moment

yes, see where your coming from, tony, any blockage on the intake side of the pump would cause low pressure , due to the pump not getting sufficient oil to give proper pressure, but reckon it would be like this over the whole rev range, whereas a slightly worn pump would give better pressure as the revs increased, don,t know any thing about bike engines though, so give way to your expertice on that. anyway , brian, would stiil suggest you use your car as normal, but moniter the oil level, and coolant, and engine temp closely(when driving), if it was really bad the engine would have siezed by now, especially after your long trip, still a strange one though!
merc1836 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 11:05   #112
tigerchubs
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT+ in Yorkshire Gold

Years ago I had a similar problem with a Volvo. I always give cars a full service and new belts etc after buying. On this particular car on looking in the oil filler cap the engine was dirty, most likely from inadequate oil changes or poor quality oil, so in went the oil flush. Anyway after the service the car was fine for a few minutes then the oil light came on. To cut a long story short when I took the sump off, the oil pick up was blocked with lumps of black carbon?. The cure was remove the oil pump including the pick up making sure everything was clear using paraffin and compressed air. On re starting I disconnected the ignition coil and turned the ongine over till the oil light went out, connected everthing back up and as they say "Roberts your fathers brother". The car was fine after that, but it cured me from using quick engine flushes.

Hope this experience helps.
tigerchubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 18:24   #113
tony g
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

At the end of the day the main reasons for this problem are :

worn oil pump
worn crank bearings
oil pump P.R.V worn or sticking
oil pick up pipe cloged
possible blockage
oil pressure switch

their will be other things to but that would mean a full engine strip.i hope when Brian gets to the bottom of this its not too expensive and put him off a superb car ( and put us all out off our misery )
tony g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 06:21   #114
Briank
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

Having read the advise which I am truely grateful, I shall be at the first opportunity be dropping the sump and cleaning the pick up filter, Just another question though. How accurate is the rev counter in the car as mines reading at approx 600 at tickover the manual tells me it should be at least 750 plus or mins 50 so again could this be an issue? Is this an easy fix the book tells me that you cannot alter the idling speed.
Briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 09:52   #115
Sancho
Loves to post

Mercedes 220SE Coupe, Mitsubishi Delica, Nissan Micra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briank View Post
mines reading at approx 600 at tickover the manual tells me it should be at least 750 plus
Now you tell us

That could well, I think, be a factor...
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 10:56   #116
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briank View Post
How accurate is the rev counter in the car as mines reading at approx 600 at tickover the manual tells me it should be at least 750 plus or mins 50 so again could this be an issue? Is this an easy fix the book tells me that you cannot alter the idling speed.

I suspect you may have found the cause of your oil warning light. The idle speed is controlled soley by the ecu. It takes all it's inputs and adjusts the tickover accordingly.

I would suggest you put the car on a T4 and sort this problem first before worrying about anything else.......
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:11   #117
stuuk
Regular poster

Rover 75 Connie SE 1.8T Auto

Does the oil light go out if you hold the revs at 750rpm with the accelerator?
Old 8th April 2008, 16:14   #118
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Mine is only around 650rpm, I noted eariler in the thread you said the oil light did not go out until 1000rpm. If this is correct then a 750rpm tickover would not extinguish the light........Sorry

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 16:58   #119
Briank
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.5 auto saloon

I will to sort this out when I get the car back. The exhaust as just blown guess what it was an original so no joints etc and the damage £ 500 notes, hells it never rains but it pours, so just what is a T4 and what would this check and adjustment cost?
Briank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 17:02   #120
Tatts
This is my second home

MG6 TL

T4 is the diagnostic computer, plugs into the port just above where your right knee is. It reads the codes & talks to the ECU.

I'd imagine an XPart centre is your best bet, unless your close to Keith Alexander, who has his own.

Cost = usually 30 mins labour - at whatever the going rate is.
Tatts is offline   Reply With Quote