Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 29th November 2012, 12:29   #1251
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default If at First it Doesn't Fit............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Doesn't look like that would fit Rob!
Plan A
Obtain Meziere stat housing and Chevvy 195 degree stat

Plan B
Seek dimensions of 203 degree stat and, if necessary the housing shown for it on the website. If it looks as though the 203 stat will fit the Meziere housing or the coolant hose can be stepped up or down to mate with 203 stat housing, then it's a goer.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:51   #1252
finyuk2005
Regular poster

mg zt-t

i did the stat mode with a Renault 5 stat, rated at 83c i think, is there any higher ones that fit?
also any ideas why the temperature would fluctuate wildly? the highest i have seen so far was 83, have not been on a decent long run yet, but i was finding the needle going from 9 oclock to as low as 7 oclock i think when turning on the heater,
could this be due to an airlock or should i check the wiring of the new kenlowe fan i installed?

cheers
finyuk2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 16:57   #1253
finyuk2005
Regular poster

mg zt-t

sorry folks, this forum was going really slow and i wasnt sure my post had worked!
Old 29th November 2012, 18:04   #1254
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finyuk2005 View Post
sorry folks, this forum was going really slow and i wasnt sure my post had worked!
Click on EDIT, you can then delete the surplus ones..

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2012, 19:58   #1255
finyuk2005
Regular poster

mg zt-t

got it cheers!
Old 29th November 2012, 22:34   #1256
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by finyuk2005 View Post
i did the stat mode with a Renault 5 stat, rated at 83c i think, is there any higher ones that fit?
also any ideas why the temperature would fluctuate wildly? the highest i have seen so far was 83, have not been on a decent long run yet, but i was finding the needle going from 9 oclock to as low as 7 oclock i think when turning on the heater,
could this be due to an airlock or should i check the wiring of the new kenlowe fan i installed?

cheers
Gates stat is 89c

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 20:10   #1257
monkey41
Regular poster

MG ZT+ CDTi

Default Stat pain

I did my gates 89 degree stat today and have to say that without the top hose removed it was a pig. In the end I removed top hose and got a bit of 32mm drain pipe and drifted the new stat in. 30 minutes to ram stat in 10mm with hose in place, 2 minutes with hose off and bit of pipe. After a drive I thought i would check the reservoir but coolant came pouring out as soon as cracked the cap open half a turn. I take it this is not normal? I only put back in collant that I had taken out. Also those air intake bolts are a son of a biscuit!! Had to leave the intake in place in the end. Any tips on how to remove it?
monkey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 21:07   #1258
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

It would guess the stat might have been fitted the wrong way round..

I ended up drilling the bolt heads off, to free the intake.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 21:23   #1259
monkey41
Regular poster

MG ZT+ CDTi

Default stat

I put it in with coppper bulb facing the engine. Is that correct?
monkey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2012, 23:17   #1260
JEK
Avid contributor

Car sold to club member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey41 View Post
I did my gates 89 degree stat today and have to say that without the top hose removed it was a pig. In the end I removed top hose and got a bit of 32mm drain pipe and drifted the new stat in. 30 minutes to ram stat in 10mm with hose in place, 2 minutes with hose off and bit of pipe. After a drive I thought i would check the reservoir but coolant came pouring out as soon as cracked the cap open half a turn. I take it this is not normal? I only put back in collant that I had taken out. Also those air intake bolts are a son of a biscuit!! Had to leave the intake in place in the end. Any tips on how to remove it?
Did mine today also. Definately easier with the hose off.
Put end of hose in a pan of hot, nearly boiling water for a few minutes and the Gates T/stat sailed in easy. Just a few taps with a large bladed screwdriver around the edge of the T/stat and it was in.
Yes, the copper bulb faces the engine.
I reckon that your coolant loss was due to the possibility that you did not start the car with the cap off first of all before taking the test run and this would have lead to an airlock and the resultant coolant loss when you took the cap off when you got back.

I must say that I am well impressed with the results of this 'fix'.
The heater is now operating as I would expect it to and the car does seem to be running better. And, as for the MPG........
On a 50 mile return trip today on a mixture of A and B roads at around 42 MPH average, , the MPG on the display was reading 54.3 at one point whereas I was getting a reading of around 34.2 previously.
The temp guage now stabilises at the 9 o'clock mark whereas it was only reaching the first (7 o'clock) marker before and taking time to get even to that.
Still, there is something which nags at me saying that I should have got the original thermostat replaced. However, just having had the clutch done on the ZT-T and waiting for the inevitable bill to hit the doormat, I opted for the alternative fix.
No doubt, time will tell if I was right to do so or not.
At this time, however, I am certainly pleased with the In Hose fix and the great service from ROCK AUTO.COM who supplied the Gates TH01489 T/stat.