Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th January 2013, 08:51   #1271
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1370 View Post
[url]https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=74451

Just finished this job as per the link above and have to say is a very straight forward job to do, very good guide. Engine is now up to temp and finally have hot air in the cabin. Cant comment on any increase on mpg yet though as not back to work until monday and only after a couple weeks running will i get a true reflection I think.
I though the hardest part was pushing the stat in even after lubing and heating the hose. In the end i covered the stat with some rags and very gently tapped it in with rubber ended mallet. dont think the stats damaged as everything is now running as expected.
Tick tick tick.......

Last edited by Thomas; 5th January 2013 at 12:30..
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 09:08   #1272
rovexCDTi
This is my second home

MG ZT+ 135

Going purely by the inaccurate trip computer im getting about 5mpg more now with the thermostat than I was without when cruising on the motorway.
Old 5th January 2013, 10:51   #1273
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1370 View Post
I though the hardest part was pushing the stat in even after lubing and heating the hose.
Both the Gates and QH stats have the same dimensions as shown here (in mm):

It's the ridge around the centre that makes it difficult. I think if you compare the ID of the hose with this ridge, you'll see why.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 10:56   #1274
PaulR
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon (and P4 100)

I haven't looked at this monster thread for a while, but I have to say that I found the thermostat housing trhat was specially made and then fitted in the hoze to be very satisfactory and a more "engineered" solution than putting the stat straight into the pipe. Are these still available?

Last edited by PaulR; 5th January 2013 at 11:01..
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 11:06   #1275
pete75
Avid contributor

Rover75 cdt

It's no great problem to get it in the hose, just heat the hose in a jug of boiling water and and put some washing up liquid around the rim. It will push in, push it just enough to allow the hose to reseat.
It a very good mod, simple and cost effective.
Pete
pete75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2013, 12:51   #1276
FintonStack

75DCSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by t140pete View Post
Did you cut the original pipe or just add to the overall length ?
Just added to the length. No cutting, tugging, ramming or KY jelly involved.
FintonStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 12:35   #1277
cptsideways

75 CDT Tourer

To simplify the fitting, source a section of joiner the right I/D then simply cut the hose forwrd of the OE jubilee clip leaving enough room to slip the stat in the hose end on the block, slip the hose joiner in behind the stat & two new jubilee clips join it all up. Makes it a lot less hassle of a job.

Ours has been working fine & gets to full temps 88-90deg C in about 6mins of normal a/b road driving when its zero outside.
cptsideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 12:46   #1278
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post

Ours has been working fine & gets to full temps 88-90deg C in about 6mins of normal a/b road driving when its zero outside.
I have done this mod with the Renault In-line QH part, the highest I have seen on the IPK is 78o after 35 minutes on my way into work, I wonder if I have a faulty in-line unit?

Membership No 135
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 13:40   #1279
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Cut and pasted from my thread of earlier today
"Coolant loss and air lock on CDTi"
;
I did the inline stat mod a couple of weeks ago. All was well and toasty warm until last night. Id been dotting around town all day and all was well. Then, on the way home the air from the vents went icy cold. Pulled over, bonnet up and the coolant looked to have been lost through the expansion cap.

AA man came out and filled the expansion tank while running the engine but could get any water from the bleed screw on the pipe in front of the battery. Then towed home.

Any ideas???

Im wondering if its just down to an airlock presurising the system and forcing it out through the expansion tank cap?
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2013, 14:10   #1280
davidm_uk
Regular poster

R75 CDTi Saloon (53 reg)

I was wondering about air locks when I recently installed the in line stat. My stat didn't have a bleed hole in it, and I couldn't get back in all of the coolant I'd drained out, so there's still some air in there somewhere.

I ended up with a bigger problem however. Because I was struggling to get the stat into the hose I thought I'd remove the hose completely to try warming it up. Rather than remove the hose from the plastic elbow where it joins the rad, I tried to remove the elbow, but the fixing bolts just turned a bit then seized, with the captive nuts behind the elbow housing just working loose in the plastic, so I now have a leak at the join. To get at the back of the housing to access the nuts seems to require dismantling a large part of the front of the car! A real ******ation given the current cold weather!

Having said that I've done a couple of 120 mile journeys with the rad cap left loose to keep the pressure off, and with only a partly filled system, and the engine (diesel) doesn't appear to have overheated. Big can of water/antifreeze mixture in the boot just in case. Hope it will last out until the weather improves a bit!
davidm_uk is offline   Reply With Quote