Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th August 2016, 12:14   #121
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
Good website that... keeping me entertained reading it.

I think the best thing i can do is buy a spare KV6 and start playing with building it.
Question is do i go with a 2 litre or a 2.5?
I'd really like to get something started but it wont be until the winter months as i genuinely am a little skint after buying that other Accord.
I think that is the best option, then you won't wreck the engine you have in your car.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2016, 16:40   #122
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRS View Post
I think the best thing i can do is buy a spare KV6 and start playing with building it.
Question is do i go with a 2 litre or a 2.5?
I'd really like to get something started but it wont be until the winter months as i genuinely am a little skint after buying that other Accord.
There is always the old saying you can't beat cc's. For what you want mid range pulling the 2.5 would be better

The racing MG seen previously probably used a 2.0 ltr due to rules. Ford did the same thing the touring car Mondeo, they used their German version of the 2.0 v6 which also was the 2.0 v6 that went into Jaguar X type.
Old 11th August 2016, 16:43   #123
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

By the way loving this thread, this is also what I think Forums should be about, long live the Rover 75 and MG ZT
Old 11th August 2016, 23:59   #124
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

I have looked, a turbo could fit. Remove battery to the boot, remove the std air filter box, make a new plenum with the throttle body at the back of the engine, the turbo would sit on the end of the valley.
A 300 brake turbo, say an uprated evo one, running no more than 8psi would transform the old v6, probably making another 60 - 90 bhp?
That would be a project worth the effort.
How to tweek the fuelling and ignition would be the question - does anyone chip tune the siemens?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 07:18   #125
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimutly View Post
I have looked, a turbo could fit. Remove battery to the boot, remove the std air filter box, make a new plenum with the throttle body at the back of the engine, the turbo would sit on the end of the valley.
A 300 brake turbo, say an uprated evo one, running no more than 8psi would transform the old v6, probably making another 60 - 90 bhp?
That would be a project worth the effort.
How to tweek the fuelling and ignition would be the question - does anyone chip tune the siemens?
Yes a turbo could work, i actually have a TD04-19t sat around from my Saab tuning days.
Main bother would be an inlet with side throttle.. you could adapt the standard throttle body/cable to suit, its finding an inlet manifold that would work and still be able to retain the PCV etc.
You'd ideally remove the VIS system too as i can imagine that causing more issues than good with a boosted setup.

That would be a perfect size, maybe a tad big... but would happily sit at 6-8psi and give probably around the 230-250 mark as it made 250 on a 2.3 Saab motor at around 1 bar but that has 2 less cylinders to you cant compare psi for psi, its all about volume of air...

As for tweaking fueling and ignition i think the only realistic route to go would be megasquirt or some form of aftermarket ecu.
I dont think the memms ecu can be remapped can it?
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 09:26   #126
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

No MEMS can't be remapped, would req a replacement chip fitted. Stand alone would be best as more tuneable whilst on a rolling road.
Haven't seen underneath a KV6 75 so i'm guessing 2 smaller close coupled turbo's can't be fitted, hence why your talking about a larger single turbo with pipe work from each manifold. This may cause a bit of lag, including spooling up a larger turbo but a lot of boost higher up the rev range, where as the 2 smaller ones would spool faster, less lag and more low down RPM grunt.

You may need to use an earlier ally inlet manifold, not sure how much boost the plastic one could handle without splitting, or have a carbon fiber one made with better flow characteristics for forced induction.
Old 12th August 2016, 10:26   #127
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
No MEMS can't be remapped, would req a replacement chip fitted. Stand alone would be best as more tuneable whilst on a rolling road.
Haven't seen underneath a KV6 75 so i'm guessing 2 smaller close coupled turbo's can't be fitted, hence why your talking about a larger single turbo with pipe work from each manifold. This may cause a bit of lag, including spooling up a larger turbo but a lot of boost higher up the rev range, where as the 2 smaller ones would spool faster, less lag and more low down RPM grunt.

You may need to use an earlier ally inlet manifold, not sure how much boost the plastic one could handle without splitting, or have a carbon fiber one made with better flow characteristics for forced induction.
I can get a mate to knock me up an ally intake, but it would be without VIS motors and only the required inlets etc.
Its not an easy inlet to make.. you have quick release connectors for the breathers/vaccum.
Vis system, and sensors.

Its possible.

Regarding the turbo dynamics, no two small turbo's would not work due to how close everything is, i mean you could probably squeeze two really tiny ones in but it would be very close to the Rad and probably almost impossible to access against the firewall.
Locating one smallish turbo around the battery try area would probably work ok, getting an oil drain could prove difficult though, might have to rig up a scavange pump as i cant see gravity draining working too well with its location.
Also oil feed would need to be lower then the outlet on the engine so that could cause some issue too.
Mounting wouldnt be to hard, plenty of metal around... exhaust would be easy enough i think, obviously a bit of lag but needs must.

Your main bother if you sort all that would be running the intercooler piping with the very limited space.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2016, 14:58   #128
Elliott
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Definitely some sort of scavenge pump, You could use a watercooled intercooler like on the Mk1 Ford Focus RS
Old 12th August 2016, 20:55   #129
minimutly
Posted a thing or two

mg zt

Scavenge pump, why? The turbo is high enough, so long as the drain constantly slopes toward the sump it would be fine. Not sure where it could go in though, probably would need to drill the bearing cradle, so sump off job.
You need to make a new plenum to replace the plastic manifold, bolt the original throttle body on, no need for vis, no point really.
All this bar the fuelling and ignition is doable in a shed, and I'm tempted to say that even then, with lpg callibrated accordingly, the ignition might be ok.
I have wondered about an adjustable sensor mounting though.
If i was to tackle this (unlikely given the amount i've got on at the mo), the plenum would be my first job, then the exhaust, intercooler, air filter. Three weeks work full time minimum?
minimutly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2016, 11:54   #130
Neil1
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T CDTI Auto

I did mention a few posts back about trying a turbo but that got brushed under the carpet .

Now your thinking about it?

Ahh!

You could sack the air conditioning condenser or look at relocating it somewhere else, that would give you some more space.

I know space is at a premium but on the 1996 Honda Accord's the aircon condenser was underneath the car on the driver's side.
Neil1 is offline   Reply With Quote