Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd September 2022, 18:44   #13891
CimmaronG
Gets stuck in

Roverless at present :-(

Front bumper off to repair broken wire for horn...
Left the production line 08:07:14hrs on 01/07/2004

'Best to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'
CimmaronG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 15:25   #13892
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Not actually done anything.....but.... discovered that the low-line satnav has started to work after giving up on it 2 years ago. I am getting more surprises now it’s off the road than when it was being used. Wonder what is next?
Old 24th September 2022, 16:17   #13893
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default fuel filter - V6

In my ongoing game of 'why does my car suddenly start running badly or cut out?' - I decided to replace the fuel filter (the one that's in the petrol tank). Whilst not the most pleasant of jobs (I still smell of petrol), the filter I removed was filthy and black, the contents of the filter bowl were black and filthy and all the o rings were clearly somewhat the worse for wear. Even more excitingly, everything went back together and felt 'snug' - you know that rare (for me) feeling you get when you've done a job properly and it may just make a difference to how your car runs?
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2022, 18:18   #13894
chicochapman
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Default Southern tour

"2002 2.5 KV6 ZTT auto 118,000 on the clock"
Just completed an incident free 700 mile/six day tour last week -

Stockport-Bath-Lymington-Christchurch-Tunbridge Wells- Bletchley Park and back.
Managed 34.8mpg on the run down to Bath but only 29.4 overall.
Still, very pleased with the old bus!!
Malc
chicochapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 08:51   #13895
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy24601 View Post
In my ongoing game of 'why does my car suddenly start running badly or cut out?' - I decided to replace the fuel filter (the one that's in the petrol tank). Whilst not the most pleasant of jobs (I still smell of petrol), the filter I removed was filthy and black, the contents of the filter bowl were black and filthy and all the o rings were clearly somewhat the worse for wear. Even more excitingly, everything went back together and felt 'snug' - you know that rare (for me) feeling you get when you've done a job properly and it may just make a difference to how your car runs?
Hi Andy.
After your hard work does your car run and start better ? or are you still trying to find out why it's running badly.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 09:45   #13896
Andy24601
Regular poster

Rover saloon

Default Does my Rover run any better?

Thank you for asking - the problem is intermittent and my journey to work is only a couple of miles each way - in this weather it barely warms up. I have to go to Norwich for work in a couple of weeks time and so I'll get more of an idea then. Sometimes it just loses power but picks up again. It was a neglected example so lots of service parts hadn't been replaced - I've swapped out plugs and coil packs. It was throwing up an error code for V.I.S motors so I replaced those, then the O2 sensor was showing as faulty so I replaced that. I thought I might as well replace the fuel filter and seals - as I say, the petrol in the filter bowl was black, as was the filter but I don't know if that is just old age...
Andy24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2022, 13:39   #13897
JefferiesFarnol
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

I finally replaced the fuel filter on my 1.8 Tourer. The filter housing had been plastic welded before I bought the car, presumably to mitigate fuel filter syndrome but I managed to break the welds without losing plastic into the tank and then used two cheap rubber strap wrenches on the top and bottom to undo it. The fuel inside the housing was completely black and filthy so I'm really glad I did this, I know it's not a service item but my feeling now is that it's absolutely worth doing and not that difficult. I changed all the seals and now fitted the fabled *black* clip so it should all be hunky dory. There's a good tip in Haynes to turn the ignition a few times to 'prime' the pump which worked for me and it started first time.
JefferiesFarnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2022, 08:41   #13898
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up Last steps - I hope

After 3 years SORN spent last couple of days refitting bonnet and bumper - final tasks re-commissioning one of my diesel saloons to place back on the road. This car is White Gold with only 82K miles but had a number of problems . Might be of interest to others to recall what I have done :-

Salt
having lived most of it’s life by the sea with a previous owner , has suffered from salt erosion :-
• Engine bay – New Intercooler and Air con rads – old cooling fins rotted to powder !
• Slam panel – rust in places so took off the panel , removed and treated all rust then fully repainted. Took opportunity to remove bonnet locks , clean and fully re-grease them.

Underbody – actually was not too bad but when I bought the car I had a complete de-salt , de-rust/inhibiter and thick underbody protective coating. All cavities and wheel arches also treated.

Engine undertray – Several grip holes in bad state so fashioned large cover washers/plate out of aluminium and took advice from club members to replace all the standard screw grips by M6 chimney nuts.

Bonnet – was badly resprayed at some stage in a damp environment and paintwork erupting in bubbles. No rust beneath , just damp . I first injected cavity wax inside along all joins and then had the bonnet paint stripped back and a full respray. Refitting the bonnet needed two people and I learnt not to attempt to attach the dampers until the hingers are bolted to bonnet. New dampers fitted.

Headlights - With bumper off I replaced one on which the glass internally was misted. Repolished outer glass surfaces with Mothers metal polish and treated with a final UV protective coating. Now look brilliant.

Scuttle covers removed and plenum cleaned etc. Made plastic mesh covers to fit either side over bonnet hinge areas to prevent any leaves etc reaching plenum and other drain areas.

Word of caution – always check the AMOUNT on a credit card chit. The machine at my local body shop ( bonnet respray) was clearly faulty because , when it asked me to press ‘OK’ after the PIN I noticed I was going to be charged £329000. I thought this was a little too much !! Took an hour on the phone to the bank to double check nothing like this had gone through!

Anyway , the car now looks great - hope it gets through MOT.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2022, 13:38   #13899
Norfolk Ninja
Avid contributor

Landrover Freelander 1

Default Arctics tourer gas strut plates

Today I fitted the reinforcing plates kindly sent to me by Arctic. Last week I painted them so today was fitting day. First one went well. Done in a few minutes including a self tapper to pull it down straight. The other side was where I had noticed the metal bulging outwards where the pivot ball screws in. When I started to undo it it was immediately apparent that the threaded plate inside was no longer attached and would drop down into the body. I therefore cut the plate in half and fitted the two halves around the loosened pivot. The two halves fitted back together fine and I retightened the pivot. This together with another self tapper pushed the bulge down and I was finished.
Thanks Arctic! Another job off the still lengthy list.
Regards Graham
Norfolk Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2022, 14:36   #13900
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

This morning I went to Devilish and had my FBH electrical board refitted on the diesel. All ready for the coming winter now. Thanks Devilish.