Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 23rd March 2015, 07:21   #131
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

We have 2 channels sent to us from BBC South Africa: BBC World News and Channel 120. The world news is on a loop and it includes Hard Talk plus Africa from the beebs studio in Nairobi.

Last night on 120, we had Top Gear Patagonia Special for the 3rd week Sunday running, then Hells Kitchen and Mr. Bean. The third series of Downton Abbey has just finished. There are no adverts as it is pay TV. The other news channels we get are CNN, Aljazeera. Chinese news and Russian, yes.

They all have their biases. The BBC is not exclusive in this respect.

I have been away and not read all of the posts, since my return from the remote region.
Old 23rd March 2015, 09:59   #132
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

I do agree that we should question any bias in the BBC reporting, and also any wast of public funding.
I would have thought, by its very nature it could have been VERY left wing, but I don't think it is. And yes you will find evidence of waste, but tell me which private company of similar size does not have the same problem.
Just a few wears ago, M&S was being hailed a shining example of good business practice, and then suddenly it became the worst company in the world. Likewise, and more recently Tesco.
Perhaps the BBC should be privatised? Then it could be paid for by subscription, but would that make it less biased? I think not, it would far more likely become right wing, controlled by the investors and/or advertisers.
I have the impression that this thread is more about the handling of Clarkson than any perceived unbalance in the BBC. As has been said many times before, doing nothing was not an option. This would have been seen as repeating the mistakes of the past. There would have been huge cries of "cover up"
It has also been suggested Clarkson will move to an alternative Chanel. Well of course that's his right, and there is nothing to stop him, but ask yourself, who will sponsor such a programme?
None of the main line car manufacturers will want to see their car placed 10th or whatever in a meaningless contest. And there are few advertisers who would want to take the risk to be associated with another of his many gaffs.
Old 23rd March 2015, 13:50   #133
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

ahh VHS those were the days. The Driftwood Club with its old world colonial charm and personalised standards of customer care is still there. It is still going strong despite the downturn in tourism.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:12   #134
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

As OP I think this thread has run it's course as it was started before we knew the outcome. Following confirmation of Clarkson's dismissal, new threads have started on the outcome, so as said I think it's time to close this one.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:24   #135
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanjay View Post
As OP I think this thread has run it's course as it was started before we knew the outcome. Following confirmation of Clarkson's dismissal, new threads have started on the outcome, so as said I think it's time to close this one.
Best to ask a mod to close It than Alan if that's what you want
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
Old 25th March 2015, 15:35   #136
alanjay
Passed Away

Rover 75 Connie Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrush View Post
Best to ask a mod to close It than Alan if that's what you want
Thanks old chap I already have but mods are busy guys and it might take a while and that's only if they agree with my request.

Mods have the wisdom of Solomon, so although it's my request it's their decision.
Old 25th March 2015, 15:41   #137
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

I don't know about the wisdom of Solomon, but I concur about the thread closure Alan. By your command, it shall be done.
Closed Thread