Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th February 2022, 19:11   #181
Stevie25
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
yes you did have to spell it out and did so, thank you.

macafee2

Thank you for your kind comments
For any future posts on this subject I will certainly spell it out very simply, just for you, so there is no confusion and you can understand it.
Stevie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 07:13   #182
mbev51
Banned

Removed

Is anyone struggling to pay their energy bills?

We only have our oil central heating on now for around 2.5 hrs in the morning. I light the wood burner around 5 pm and that keeps our lounge and through an open door, the kitchen warm. Our bedroom about the lounge has the chill taken off it.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 08:31   #183
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

No. Just had our dd reduced and a refund from our supplier, we where considerably in credit. Took a new deal with them in October just before it all went crazy, I guessed we were paying too much though. We are, however, paying more than this time last year.

Think the thing with us is we eventually had the gas fire installed, we were firing the ch up for the whole house just to warm the living room up. I also replaced a radiator in the kitchen and back bedroom, they were very small as well as removed additional ones from other rooms that had two in them which they didn't need.

We have an older floor standing gas boiler serviced every year.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 08:36   #184
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

It’s not political, it’s economical.

Really? The latest three card trick is we get ‘given’ £200 to help with the impending rise in fuel charges which we then pay back over 5 years at £40 a year. Interest free? No, it's not. The economy, together with our money, suffers devaluation as well as inflation during that five years.

When I say ‘we’ I mean everybody who pays a fuel bill. Whether or not we want it, need it, or flatly refuse it we will be indebted to the government for 5 years, just when prices are sure to be increased yet again. Was there ever a more obvious Ponzi scheme?

Add to that the increasing pressure to get a so-called smart meter installed for free. Free? Really? It can, of course, be switched off remotely.
We are then indebted to H.M. Gov for the full 5 years to pay this back. What happens if the payer becomes unemployed or dies in the meantime?

It won’t need an abacus to work out that the current rampage through paying for a supposedly Green environment is taking on some scary dependency on a government that’s in thrall to financiers and bankers. Oh, and a Chancellor who was one. Just who was it that put the cart before the horse?

Lemmings or what? Roll on Martin Lewis.
Old 11th February 2022, 09:28   #185
mbev51
Banned

Removed

The ‘loan’ is not a well throughout device. I too would opt out but there’s no mechanism. It’s compulsory, it’s not very democratic. What happens when prices don’t come down, we will all be paying huge bills when we are also paying back this loan. Some joined up thinking needs to be applied to this so that the poorest get help.
mbev51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 11:59   #186
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

Interesting:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/15...ood-gas-prices

Government could always remove vat or place a windfall tax on companies.

Maybe those that don't want/need the help could buy a weekly shop and take it to a food bank.
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 12:53   #187
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Fusion has always been the dream of scientists.--There's enough energy in a cup of water to heat Britain for a day.---

Won't happen though.---
I'm not sceptical enough to say it will never happen, but I do agree the solution is a long way off. I think the last experiment produced enough energy to boil around seventy kettles according to the talking heads in the media. I'd be much more impressed if I saw those kettles actually boiling after the experiment! The media were promising a vaccine against dental decay when I graduated in 1974. I considered abandoning dentistry after reading that article. Still hasn't happened though not to say it never will.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 14:45   #188
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
The ‘loan’ is not a well throughout device. I too would opt out but there’s no mechanism. It’s compulsory, it’s not very democratic. What happens when prices don’t come down, we will all be paying huge bills when we are also paying back this loan. Some joined up thinking needs to be applied to this so that the poorest get help.
put the money from the loan into a new back account, dont spend it. Then you can take £40 a year to pay the loan back

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2022, 16:19   #189
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

There are many banks that offer a start-up credit balance of £150.00 for new accounts.
Old 12th February 2022, 08:11   #190
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmk View Post
I'm not sceptical enough to say it will never happen, but I do agree the solution is a long way off. I think the last experiment produced enough energy to boil around seventy kettles according to the talking heads in the media. I'd be much more impressed if I saw those kettles actually boiling after the experiment! The media were promising a vaccine against dental decay when I graduated in 1974. I considered abandoning dentistry after reading that article. Still hasn't happened though not to say it never will.
Still on the theme of energy and where is it going to come from.

FUSION takes place in nature in the heart of stars at billions of degrees of heat and unimaginable pressures.--Our scientist are, maybe, clever but not that clever.

That pipe dream of limitless power is going to remain just that and won't help us poor old codgers trying to keep warm right now without using money from food to subsidise our heating.----------
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote