Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th August 2007, 21:30   #11
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

It doesn't feel as smooth as most cars, if you watch the rev counter on tick over you can see it fluctuate.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 09:02   #12
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

According to info on the Moto-Build web site the Land Rover gasket is suitable for all K Series from 1.4 up including VVC and Turbo.

I had the LR gasket & rail fitted to my 1.8 in March, about 12k miles ago, and the coolant level hasn't moved since.
Old 5th August 2007, 09:38   #13
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

SWORKS,
Apologies for repeating myself here from post#10, but why do you say omit the shim if you have not skimmed the head? The fitting instructions I have for the Landrover MLS states to use two parts of the gasket including the shim. I fitted the same Landrover MLS gasket to my non skimmed 214is head some 10k miles ago and it is still going strong. I didn't change the bolts or the oil rail, that would have doubled the value of the car if I had done that.
I have replaced another two friends K series engines with the MLS gasket, would like to know if I am doing it incorrectly by using all the parts in the kit.

Last edited by Lovel; 5th August 2007 at 09:41.. Reason: clarity
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2007, 11:17   #14
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
SWORKS,
Apologies for repeating myself here from post#10, but why do you say omit the shim if you have not skimmed the head? The fitting instructions I have for the Landrover MLS states to use two parts of the gasket including the shim. I fitted the same Landrover MLS gasket to my non skimmed 214is head some 10k miles ago and it is still going strong. I didn't change the bolts or the oil rail, that would have doubled the value of the car if I had done that.
I have replaced another two friends K series engines with the MLS gasket, would like to know if I am doing it incorrectly by using all the parts in the kit.
Does the supplied kit from landrover come with instructions? This shim, what is it made from? I've not seen one before, I'm assuming it is a flat piece of alloy or soething similar, if that were the case, how does it seal? Surely you'd have to have a headgasket on both sides of the shim? I imagine I am being incredibly thick here so appologies in advance.
Old 5th August 2007, 15:34   #15
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
Does the supplied kit from landrover come with instructions? This shim, what is it made from? I've not seen one before, I'm assuming it is a flat piece of alloy or soething similar, if that were the case, how does it seal? Surely you'd have to have a headgasket on both sides of the shim? I imagine I am being incredibly thick here so appologies in advance.
The Landrover kit comes with instructions to a degree, it does however tell you how to and where to fit the shim too. The shim is a black in colour alloy material and with a sticky/tacky substance coating on one side of it. The instructions include a diagram of where it should go in the sandwich.
The main body of the headgasket is made up of a sandwich too, so not really different from the shim really.
The instructions refer to a Landrover service bulletin, which is more detailed I would expect. I have not seen this one, unless anyone has a copy to spare, it would be a good reference document for all on here.
Old 5th August 2007, 16:52   #16
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
The instructions refer to a Landrover service bulletin, which is more detailed I would expect. I have not seen this one, unless anyone has a copy to spare, it would be a good reference document for all on here.
Cheers Lovel I agree. Is there a bulletin number? It may show up on a google search.
Old 5th August 2007, 17:58   #17
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Sorry i didnt reply sooner - in my opinion the added shim with the new gasget is a lot thicker than the standard gasket, therefore must have an effect on the compression ratio. I had this arguement with one of my work colleagues who went on to fit the shim to a car that had not had the head skimmed. There was lots of swearing when he struggled to get the 2x 8mm bolts that go through the plastic cover into the head to line up (behind the cam pulleys)

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
Old 5th August 2007, 18:08   #18
Lovel

Default Instruction With Landrover kit

This is the intruction that comes with the Landrover kit.
Old 5th August 2007, 18:15   #19
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
Sorry i didnt reply sooner - in my opinion the added shim with the new gasget is a lot thicker than the standard gasket, therefore must have an effect on the compression ratio. I had this arguement with one of my work colleagues who went on to fit the shim to a car that had not had the head skimmed. There was lots of swearing when he struggled to get the 2x 8mm bolts that go through the plastic cover into the head to line up (behind the cam pulleys)
Very interesting, as a comparison, if I can recall correctly the all alloy Rover (Buick based) V8 engine fitted to the SD1 and the Landrovers differed in compression ratio between models, so the kit with the shim may in essence give the engine a longer stroke making for more low down torque. However the shim is so thin the change in comprression ratio would hardly be noticible at all to most folks.
To get to the bottom of this puzzle we would have to establish if the Freelander has the same compression ratio as the Rover engines

By the way the gasket also fits the 1.1 too.

Last edited by Lovel; 5th August 2007 at 18:17.. Reason: clarity
Old 5th August 2007, 18:21   #20
sworks
This is my second home

I agree that the shim is thin but the head gasket looks thicker than the standard rover item so the two items combined together would make a difference to the cr. I didn't fit the shim to my 400 and i have also done head gaskets on approx 10 other cars and not used the shim, but it does say to use it in the instructions. my OPINION only :lol: