Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th June 2009, 22:08   #11
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDotCom View Post
If you wish to, just send me a PM for address details.
It won't be a next day turnaround at the moment as in and out of Country.
Will send a PM within the next 30 mins. Robert
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 23:07   #12
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Hi Robert, don't worry about removing the Knobs, as Stocktake says the control switch spindle is a white D shaped column, and the under side of the rotary rubber knob has a similar D shaped cavity that it slides into.

It will only fit when the flat edge of the D shapes are lined up, then it's just a push home affair.

I replaced my menu knob a while back (the original one's rubber top surface had started to come away from the rounded flat base of the knob, thus excess play when turning the knob and lots of rubber squeeking noise.

If it helps, I have a spare knob knocking about, and could photograph the underside if you like.

But there really shouldn't be an issue with removal / replacement.

BTW both the Mark I, Mark II & Mark III units all have the same knob design.
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 06:57   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartonrover View Post
Presumably mine is a Mk 1 Stocktake - did they change I wonder? Am sure the one I removed was just soft rubber and to replace it, the flared edge needed to roll over the circumference of the white disc. There was no way I could see to do that, especially as when you pushed hard the switch simply got eben closer to the face o the unit. I seem to recall with the knob removed, the push switch wpuld not operate at all. I was driving around with very limited function abilty - secured by the main dealer putting something like a matchstick alongside the spindle. Should have taken a photo. Maybe I need to acquire an early none working unit.....

Thanks for the responses chaps.

Hi Robert, sorry to confuse you (and me) my sat nav unit in the boot is Mk3. The head unit I have is exactly the same as yours mine is a 1999 model

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 09:06   #14
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebs View Post
Hi Robert, don't worry about removing the Knobs, as Stocktake says the control switch spindle is a white D shaped column, and the under side of the rotary rubber knob has a similar D shaped cavity that it slides into.

It will only fit when the flat edge of the D shapes are lined up, then it's just a push home affair.

I replaced my menu knob a while back (the original one's rubber top surface had started to come away from the rounded flat base of the knob, thus excess play when turning the knob and lots of rubber squeeking noise.

If it helps, I have a spare knob knocking about, and could photograph the underside if you like.

But there really shouldn't be an issue with removal / replacement.

BTW both the Mark I, Mark II & Mark III units all have the same knob design.
Thanks Reebs - all three of you have (almost) convinced me - though removal of the knob is not necessarily going to lead me to a solution, it should help clarify the problem. Yes I would appreciate a photo of the underside of the knob Reebs if it's not too much of a pain. No hurry. I have drawn a sketch as I remember the one which I previously removed:

My son says he also remembers that with the knob removed, the push/toggle effect didn't work at all. In fact, I recall that just touching the metal spindle (red in my sketch) with your finger, sent the Sat Nav a bit random and haywire! If my sketch is correct, I'm still a bit baffled as to how you get the rubber lip or skirt tucked back under the white disc (yellow in my sketch), notwithstanding the need to line up the D section. My main dealer could not refit on the other vehicle and that was in 2002 I think. Does the edge of the rubber knob when it's underneath actually act as a kind of spring for the push/toggle action?

The car is only 10 yrs old next month and only done 116k (see her in the calendar next month) and really I would have expected better! . Robert

Last edited by Bartonrover; 25th June 2009 at 09:10..
Old 25th June 2009, 19:40   #15
Reebs
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 Conn SE V6 / MG ZT 260 SE V8 / MG ZT 180 SE V6

Thanked 6,851 Times in 2,537 Posts

Here you go Robert, as promised:

and here is the original faulty menu knob I had (on the left) which came away from the plastic base - preventing correct operation.

Hope that helps convince you.

BTW for those that want to know, Smooth knob = YID100080PUY (Volume)
Ridged Knob = YID100030PUY (Menu)
Reebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 20:51   #16
Duotone
This is my second home

Maybe this could help..

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2009, 22:25   #17
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Stocktake, Reebs & Duotone - thank you all so much. Reebs -I had not even noted the two knobs were different (a few years ago I was enjoying my 21st birthday and suddenly I'm pushing 60 and the joys of failing eyesight!). Duo - I think you have cracked it - previously the sleeve must have been left on the spindle and I had fought to replace just the soft piece of rubber. And my main dealer couldn't work it out either. Good job lemons like me can't get banned from here for just being a lemon! Will remove the knob over the weekend - watch this space!
Old 25th June 2009, 22:27   #18
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Oh - and you can all take tomorrow off!
Old 25th June 2009, 22:29   #19
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Glad you are getting somewhere now.
PM sent.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 19:04   #20
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

As a postscript to this thread I am adding the following.

Removal of Hi Line unit from Dash – Opening up of unit for repair or replacement
Disclaimer:
You are responsible for any work or modifications carried out on your car and you undertake any such work at your own risk. Neither The 75 and ZT Owners Club nor the original author of these notes can be held liable for anything that may happen as a result of you following these notes..

This is not so much a “how to” as a “what I did”. I am no techy and not qualified to write a “how to” – moreover much of what is here will no doubt be found in other threads – though I did search.

This all began with a faulty menu knob which just became so loose that it was inoperable. Thanks to Reebs, Stocktake, Duotone and John Dot Com for help (and kind offers to assist). I decided to take photos as I went along for my own benefit and thought it a shame to waste them – though I won’t mind if the Mods decide much of this is better covered elsewhere and delete them! The photos may help to anyone who has never opened up the Sat Nav cassette unit and needs to undertake some basic maintenance or replace a component. For those who play with equipment like this in their sleep, I realise much here will be a big yawn – but some of us rarely go beyond changing a light bulb. Talking of which, this entire exercise was much simpler and less frustrating than changing a headlamp bulb on a 75. If you can use a screwdriver, you can perform this task.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that my problems really started when I pulled off the rubber menu knob on another 75, several years ago, expecting to find a simple “D” spindle left in the unit and which I now know is what I should indeed have found. Instead, the hard inner collar of the knob was left on the spindle – and I didn’t realise that! As a result I spent a fruitless hour trying to replace the soft rubber knob over the spindle and collar (doh!) before giving up and handing over to my main dealer. The real problem was that with the collar in place but without the rubber knob, the menu control was inoperable. (My embarrassment is tempered by the fact that my main dealer took nearly a fortnight to effect a remedy!). All that was needed was for the collar to be retrieved from the spindle, pushed back into the knob and then the entire assembly pushed back onto the spindle again – less than a minute’s work I reckon. (Being scared of rubber knob removal is a huge blight on risk and innovation).

Removal of Hi Line unit from Dash (Time c 15 minutes – a helper is not essential but makes life easier)

1. Unclip plastic cover under “eyebrow” feature and unscrew the two screws to remove the eyebrow itself.

2. Unscrew the self tapping screws (one in each top corner of the console). They are inset – a torch may help you see them if your eyesight is anything like mine. You are unlikely to lose these when extracting them but beware they can easily fall down inside when reassembling. (If they do they will probably fall down inside the console and can be retrieved by gently pulling the plastic trim at the bottom of the console away from the carpet of the footwell.

2a. My unit then just wiggled free without too much effort and I was able to pull it forward, still attached by its two looms. However there appear to be retaining clips which may need to be released. Study photo 13 (in the next post) as well as photo 2a. By inserting a small flat blade through the access hole it would seem that by engaging and turning anti-clockwise the small wheel to which the clips are connected by control wire, the clips are disengaged.

3. Release of the unit is then a simple matter of releasing the two wiring looms – one blue and one white which are held secure by black stirrup-like clips. (As a bonus - I discovered two quality control check labels here which gave the date of manufacture - ot at least the date the components were installed - 7th June 1999!)

4. Do not try to unclip or remove these clips – once you have depressed the restraining white plastic upstand they just pivot round, rather like the latch on a centre opening gate loops over the other gate and as they do so, the plug is lifted up and out of its socket. The unit can then be carried to the kitchen table.

Last edited by Bartonrover; 7th July 2009 at 19:20..