Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th January 2007, 23:02   #11
Simon
Banned

-

For your information I had a look (in the dark with a torch) at the seal on my KV6 (38K on the clock, 2001 car) and the bung is still there!

Have reported something wierd happened around this part of the engine on a previous thread. Something akin to coolant stains on the radiator. Dont appear fresh but it was difficult to tell. Also oily-coloured and oily-textured liquid on engine cover directly above the above mentioned bung. Spookily this lines up with the staining on the radiator. No signs of loss of coolant. PAS reservoir suffering from minor leakage (probably from overflow port though). Even more worrying is on at least two occasions now I could have sworn I have smelt coolant in the cabin during journeys.

Any thoughts chaps?
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 13:35   #12
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon D View Post
For your information I had a look (in the dark with a torch) at the seal on my KV6 (38K on the clock, 2001 car) and the bung is still there!

Have reported something wierd happened around this part of the engine on a previous thread. Something akin to coolant stains on the radiator. Dont appear fresh but it was difficult to tell. Also oily-coloured and oily-textured liquid on engine cover directly above the above mentioned bung. Spookily this lines up with the staining on the radiator. No signs of loss of coolant. PAS reservoir suffering from minor leakage (probably from overflow port though). Even more worrying is on at least two occasions now I could have sworn I have smelt coolant in the cabin during journeys.

Any thoughts chaps?
Good the hear your "bungs" are still in Si - still walking funny tho

Treat your Zed to a careful wash/wipe around the aread affected and keep a close eye on for a few days.Also check the union onto the pas pump for weepage
Lates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 14:07   #13
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

Just gave mine a thorough check over with torch in hand. All is well and I can get a good nights sleep again.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 14:14   #14
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

thats the spirit GG, I neeeed sleep.
Old 28th January 2007, 14:19   #15
driverjgp
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Club 2.5 V6 Auto

My plug is still there too. :lol:

Jason Player
Woodbridge,
Suffolk

Money can't buy happiness. But it sure makes misery easier to live with.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rover 75 Club Auto K-Series 2.5 Litre Quad Cam 24 Valve in Steel Blue December 2000 Cowley build.
driverjgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 13:47   #16
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Ok, I have ressurected this thread for the obvious reason!

I collected my car on Wednesday from the MGOC Xpart w/s where it had the full 90k service with new belts and water pump. Driving home, I had started to smell a heady mixture of burnt rubber or oil. I checked at the various services and in the dark, it all appeared ok, with no warning light off the dash (bear in mind I was watching these like a hawk following the fan/motor temperature warning light incident on taking the car to the w/s).

Today I checked the oil and it looked ok after getting back from Cambridge, but as it was snowing I admit I probably didn't dip it slowly enough to get a reading and it looked to be on the dipstick. I went down to a friend's farm and put the car on his 4-post lift, and I noticed a lot of oil dripping from around the filter onto the sump tray. We removed the sump tray, and checked the filter - it was tight. So we lowered the ramp and lifted the bonnet - then it dawned on me - remembering this thread, I spotted that the rear camshaft bung had come out. I phoned the MGOC who will send me a new bung in the post.

Now, why? I don't believe it got left off. In fact, I think I know when it came off, not long after I collected the car, about 20 miles or so - I remember seeing something in the mirror bouncing on the road behind, which I had assumed was a bit of rubber from a lorry tyre.

On rechecking the oil level properly, it was low. I have added almost a litre.
Is it possible to have lost so much oil from this one camshaft bung? Surely there's a lip seal in there or thrower?

Be warned! Had I not noticed the smell, or checked the oil level properly this could have been an expensive outcome!
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 15:19   #17
Keith
This is my second home

ZT400

Can we have a pic of the offending orifice?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 15:43   #18
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

Well spotted chris, They are like an inverted bucket with ribs to hold it in. I have not seen another one for a few weeks, and to be honest I really cannot see why it should come out.The one I did see needed 3 litres of oil to top it back up. Me being cynical thinks they have changed the suppliers as this is a new issue that keeps popping up ( or out ! )
Old 9th February 2007, 15:53   #19
MartinW

MG TF LE500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Can we have a pic of the offending orifice?

It's the rear orifice, are you sure?

Yes, will post up a picture of where to look, but I know one thing, I think you are right, Lates - I see this issue time and again with Classic MGs as the supplier changes and I know of various issues from sticking valves to leaking Walsh plugs to snapped oil pump drives and pitted cam followers!
MartinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 16:37   #20
Lates
This is my second home

Jaguar XE

I have spoken to the dealer on this issue tonight and he has promised me he will try to speak to somebody in "technical" to see if there is a supplier change issue we need to be made aware of.
In some respect I am pleased as it cannot be down to faulty workmanship as the frequency is increasing and repairs being carried out by different techies. But what we do not want is any of you peeps being on the motorway etc and not knowing of a potential engine failure due to a tong long wong cheap n nasty oil seal failure. Watch this space. :SHOCKED: