Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 6th October 2016, 07:11   #11
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

It's a global market and actually it is us the consumer also to blame. I am in the TV industry manufacturing in South Wales, yes most parts come from China but why is that. The Japanese dominated the market throughout the 80's and 90's but the supermarkets started stocking TV's cheap imports with strange brand names but consumers bought them because they were cheap, all of a sudden a mickey mouse brand 42" plasma was £1500 in Tesco against a Sony £3500 in Dixon. The brand manufacturers had no choice , their costs had to come down and the result now China or Turkey makes the majority of your TV's even those that you once thought were traditionally Japanese. JVC, Sharp, Panasonic etc. Sure you can still buy expensive sets of quality but made in Japan? Samsung sums it up with their dominance in the market.

So yes we are all to blame really in the decline of industry because we just want to buy things cheaper and cheaper. So the retailers put pressure on manufacturers and manufacturers have to react to survive and if importing from China is cheaper than British made 5 miles away, then China wins, economics

That said take a look http://www.stillmadeinbritain.co.uk/ it's not all doom and gloom

Last edited by Parker; 6th October 2016 at 07:14..
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 07:13   #12
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
The tide could turn with the pound being low. Exports will be cheaper abroad but conversely parts coming in will be more expensive, so it is more than possible we could see a rise in component manufacturing in the UK and that cant be bad.
Pound is certainly weak, I have not looked today but yesterday it
was $1.27 for £1
I feel like I`m being robbed every time I buy in Dollars or send money to the States.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 18:22   #13
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coab View Post
"Its a shame and i wish things were different because this country has nothing to offer the world."
Er hang on we have a trade surplus with China due to the Jaguars and Land Rovers we make here so not is all bad. Almost every spare piece of development land in Coventry is being bought by JLR for development, research and manufacture.
A shining light for industry but we do still make pork pies, cider, pork scratchings and the odd plate in Stoke!
Please feel free everyone to add things to the list!
Triumph Motorcycles.
To quote Haynes
"Where is the most modern motorcycle factory in the world? Tokyo? Berlin? Turin maybe? No, it's in Hinckley, Leicestershire, improbable at it seems......"

I am a proud owner of these fine machines, that enjoy excellent sales and a healthy export market.

I don't buy into the fact that we can't compete against cheap, low labour cost countries. After all, BMW, VAG, Mercedes etc etc are not in that category.

We just need some long term investment in our manufacturing industry, (rather than bankers in the City) like John Bloor did, with his own money, with Triumph.

Let the good times roll............

Last edited by Dorset Bob; 6th October 2016 at 18:24..
Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 18:29   #14
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Many of the genuine MG Rover alloy wheels are MADE IN POLAND.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 18:38   #15
mystabe
Posted a thing or two

Mazda 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
It's a global market and actually it is us the consumer also to blame. I am in the TV industry manufacturing in South Wales, yes most parts come from China but why is that. The Japanese dominated the market throughout the 80's and 90's but the supermarkets started stocking TV's cheap imports with strange brand names but consumers bought them because they were cheap, all of a sudden a mickey mouse brand 42" plasma was £1500 in Tesco against a Sony £3500 in Dixon. The brand manufacturers had no choice , their costs had to come down and the result now China or Turkey makes the majority of your TV's even those that you once thought were traditionally Japanese. JVC, Sharp, Panasonic etc. Sure you can still buy expensive sets of quality but made in Japan? Samsung sums it up with their dominance in the market.

So yes we are all to blame really in the decline of industry because we just want to buy things cheaper and cheaper. So the retailers put pressure on manufacturers and manufacturers have to react to survive and if importing from China is cheaper than British made 5 miles away, then China wins, economics

That said take a look http://www.stillmadeinbritain.co.uk/ it's not all doom and gloom
I wonder how many 'shut the doors and forget the rest of the world' people will want to pay £900 for a British made 32" TV In my experience they are usually the same people that moan that things cost too much as well.....

:coat:
mystabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 20:01   #16
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

An excellent post. I agree wholeheartedly.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2016, 21:22   #17
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

And the steel for the bodyshell probably comes from China.
Old 7th October 2016, 05:59   #18
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, Astra Techline Estate and Corsa 1.2 SXI

As Parker's post presents so eloquently, the state of our industries is the result of the public's desire to buy the cheapest without due consideration to country of manufacture, quality of the item or the impact on their countrymen/women. This behaviour is demonstrated by a broad spectrum of the population and is a-political.

Let's not politicise the discussion.

Last edited by MSS; 8th October 2016 at 08:19..
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 06:23   #19
coab
This is my second home

2007 57 GOLF GTi EDITION 30 DSG

Thanked 1,452 Times in 852 Posts

Its down to value for money, quality of the goods and how long it lasts. The car market is full of Kias, Hyundais, and Dacias etc that were truly dreadful a few years ago but now are well built, look as good as any other main brand and arent basic outdated NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- anymore as the price of all the mod cons were are used to have fallen due to being made in the far east.
I do think we should as a nation try to buy British goods and sticking a sticker to point it out would be good but it isnt going to work if the item is 50% dearer than an import. I always buy British meat etc in supermarkets as the price difference is minimal.
coab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2016, 08:26   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Remember seeing a woman on the TV talking about apples and banging on about how we should all be eating English Cox's instead of French Golden Disgustings, and generally how it would help our farmers if we backed the flag and bought British food.

That's the spirit I thought, but then she spoilt it somewhat when she drove off in her Renault.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote