Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 13th August 2009, 11:47   #11
Toby Waters
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon (CDTi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reebmit View Post
Glad you found your problem, still searching mine, I checked that bracket and mine is okay, also checked the crank pulley and that is fine. I can't see any pipes fouling etc so may have to enlist the services of the other half to start and stop the engine while I look around, Oh she will enjoy that!!
Thanks. Best of luck with finding it!
Toby Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 14:40   #12
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Waters View Post
Checked the front suspension lower arm rear bushes yesterday and there is no excessive play. I placed a rag between the exhaust and the crossbrace, see below:

Checked the front suspension lower arm rear bushes yesterday and there is no excessive play. I placed a rag between the exhaust and the crossbrace, see below:

This silenced the knock, so the problem is definately the exhaust fouling the crossbrace. Either the engine is moving too much or the exhaust is hanging too low. The exhaust appears to have a join halfway down and I cannot see any MGR markings on the backbox. It does sit very close to this cross brace (approx 5mm).
had this problem on a 220sd. bought new exhaust. still the same. got under car and looked along the length of the exhaust, from back to front. noticed that the front down pipe from manifold was slightly bent off the straight line. this "threw" the exhaust off line . by the time the exhaust reached the back of the "prop hump"which it ran down, it was , when starting up,banging against the car underneath.
Old 17th August 2009, 12:16   #13
Toby Waters
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon (CDTi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
had this problem on a 220sd. bought new exhaust. still the same. got under car and looked along the length of the exhaust, from back to front. noticed that the front down pipe from manifold was slightly bent off the straight line. this "threw" the exhaust off line . by the time the exhaust reached the back of the "prop hump"which it ran down, it was , when starting up,banging against the car underneath.
Will have to investigate this. All the exhaust mounts look OK and there is very little movement in the backbox (so I think its unlikely to be hanging too low from the back). Must be something further forward or a dodgy replacement exhaust.
Toby Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 17:48   #14
redbaron

ZT-T CDTI 116 Auto

Default Knocking sound on CDTI

So that's what it is?

I've had the same problem since the 15,000 mile marker (5000 miles ago),
but only when the engine is cold. It seemed to be coming from the rear on my ZT-T.

Thanks.

redbaron

Last edited by redbaron; 26th February 2010 at 17:49.. Reason: correcting spelling error
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 17:52   #15
WeeMan
Posted a thing or two

Mazda MX5, BMW 520i

Check the hangers, I'm sure we have 2 on the back. Also check the exhaust clamps are nice and tight.
WeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 21:30   #16
1gp
I really should get out more.......

mgzt, 135 cdti , manual , in solar red.also own a mgtf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Waters View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The mount was brand new and unfortunately made no difference.

I don't think it is a top strut mount (although mine does knock slightly when parking). The top strut knock is much quieter and sounds like it is coming from the front of the car. This knock however is definately coming from underneath the cabin (although I know it is difficult to pinpoint these things).

I would expect that if it were excessive engine movement, causing the exhaust to hit something underneath, it would be due to the lower rear engine mount. Is this the only mount that prevents movement in that axis?
the strut top knocking etc is this a common sound when they fail on lock, when parking, its as if you can hear the spring moving ?
1gp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 09:47   #17
itfc4e

MG ZT 160T+

I had the same knocking sound until I had a new exhaust fitted and, hey presto, knocking sound gone. So I would suggest that the previous posts about the exhaust are correct.
itfc4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 10:05   #18
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
Have you looked at the front suspension lower arm rear bushes ? THese are located beneath your feet , more or less , and can produce similar symptoms . Usually if they are gone you can physically roll the wheel back and forward with your hands .
this would be my guess.
these can be obtained from Rimmer Brothers.
Old 26th March 2017, 08:46   #19
rjs

Rover 75 Saloon

Default Short knockinfg only when accelerate hard cdti auto

Hi great posts. I have same problem v short dull knocking only when foot to floor. Sound coming from just below dash in middle. Will try all above and report back.
rjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 14:48   #20
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Try and tighten/loosen your front wheel nuts, if the wheel moves backwards/forwards while you are doing this, the wishbone bush is your problem
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote