Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th October 2022, 22:29   #11
rovertone
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Conne SE Auto CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Richard tells us that his starter motor is screaming because it's not engaging with the engine. As Jon says, this is an unusual failure mode for a pre-engaged system. The way to make progress is to remove the motor assembly for an internal examination as I said in my first reply. Alternatively, a quicker but more expensive repair would be to fit an exchange unit. Over to you Richard.

Simon
Or it could be engaging with the flywheel but, with intermittent slipping of the bendix clutch, the shaft is being driven without taking the bendix/flywheel with it. That's what was happening with mine.
As said previously I managed to get a new assembly from a company in Ireland but I've been looking again and whilst I can find listings on ebay there are none specifically listed for 75's.
See attached link below where the seller lists starter numbers (scroll tight down) and see whether any matches the number on the starter and/or contact the seller.
In my posts I have assumed we are talking about an original Denso starter, if the OP has an aftermarket replacement then it's doubtful if any such parts would be readily available and an exchange unit might be the best option but as Simon has said maybe that's the best option anyway.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191967408544
Also 2004 Rover 25 SXi CVT, 1999 Megane Cabriolet and still missing my 800 Fastback
rovertone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2022, 22:57   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLVERT View Post
Great link that lead to a fantastic How-To.

It took a while to read all of it but not a single word about the problem the OP is having-------There's a one-way clutch at the gear end of the starter motor. This is the part that has to be replaced to make things work correctly---
Hi Jon.
i was happy to find you found the thread readable, but not so happy that you thought it did not help with regarding why perhaps the OP may gain some insight to how the starter works, so this link may well cover that for the OP and you.

https://www.autoelectro.co.uk/starter-motors

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 18:28   #13
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Jon.
i was happy to find you found the thread readable, but not so happy that you thought it did not help with regarding why perhaps the OP may gain some insight to how the starter works, so this link may well cover that for the OP and you.

https://www.autoelectro.co.uk/starter-motors
Thanks for that info.---HOWEVER ( sorry. lol. ) It does not explain how the one-way clutch works or why it's needed.

so------here is why.-- As the engine starts the speed of the fly wheel greatly exceeds the that of the pinion gear.--The one-way clutch stops this energy being transmitted into the starter motor and potentially wrecking it.---------10,000 rpm plus being a tad too fast for it.---

Last edited by COLVERT; 20th October 2022 at 18:55..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2022, 20:25   #14
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

Quote:
Thanks for that info.---HOWEVER ( sorry. lol. ) It does not explain how the one-way clutch works or why it's needed.

so------here is why.-- As the engine starts the speed of the fly wheel greatly exceeds the that of the pinion gear.--The one-way clutch stops this energy being transmitted into the starter motor and potentially wrecking it.---------10,000 rpm plus being a tad too fast for it.---

Errrrr no it doesn't, what makes you think it does ?
Old 21st October 2022, 09:18   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

We seem to have lost the attention of the OP who hasn't logged-on for ten days now.
Quote:
There's a one-way clutch at the gear end of the starter motor. This is the part that has to be replaced to make things work correctly
Hi Jon. RAVE refers to this as the "overrunning" clutch. Since the OP describes the fault as the pinion intermittently not engaging with the ring gear, could you explain how you believe that this clutch can be responsible as I've never inspected its operation closely?

Many thanks.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 21st October 2022 at 09:23..
SD1too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2022, 22:28   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
We seem to have lost the attention of the OP who hasn't logged-on for ten days now.

Hi Jon. RAVE refers to this as the "overrunning" clutch. Since the OP describes the fault as the pinion intermittently not engaging with the ring gear, could you explain how you believe that this clutch can be responsible as I've never inspected its operation closely?

Many thanks.

Simon
I'll explain how it works in a later post having just read yours at 20 past mid-night.---Will take quite a few words to explain how it works.-----It's not like any clutch you could imagine.
Old 22nd October 2022, 23:17   #17
Ducati750cc
Loves to post

Rover75 tourer

An excellent video showing how a starter motor roller clutch operates and what it comprises of :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzM9MxFp75c
Old 23rd October 2022, 07:31   #18
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Thanks very much Bill for posting that. It is indeed an excellent explanation and much more professionally presented than the average YouTube video.

Thanks also for your offer Jon but you've been relieved of the need for a thousand words!

Simon
Old 3rd November 2022, 18:32   #19
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Quote:
Thanks very much Bill for posting that. It is indeed an excellent explanation and much more professionally presented than the average YouTube video.

Thanks also for your offer Jon but you've been relieved of the need for a thousand words!

Simon
That's OK as I've been ill and into hospital three times.---After being beaten up by big and very strong daughter.----

Still have the scars to prove it.