Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th March 2016, 19:29   #11
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Talking of Spitfires, I watched a fascinating documentary on Forces TV last night, about the first aerial battle over 40,000 feet. It involved a stripped out Spitfire Mk IX and a Junkers JU86. I had never heard of a JU86, German (obviously) pressurised photographic reconnaissance aircraft capable of flying at over 40,000 feet. It flew so high it was out of reach of anti aircraft fire and RAF fighters. They started carrying a single 550lb bomb, one dropped on Bristol city centre caused a considerable number of casualties. A decision was taken to specially train a small group of RAF pilots to acclimatise them to high altitude/low pressure and two Spitfire Mk IXs were modified, stripped of armour plating and any other equipment deemed "unnecessary" and double supercharged in order to fly high enough to challenge the JU86. The German pilot spoke of the shock at finding a Spitfire on his tail at 40,000 feet, one of the cannons on the Spitfire jammed and every time he tried to fire the remaining cannon it threw the plane off balance but it did enough damage to make the JU86 dump its bomb and high tail it home. No surprise as the JU86 crew were literally sealed into the pressurised cockpit, no way of escaping a damaged aircraft! The pilots of the Spitfire and the JU86 became good friends post war.

P.S. I've had a flick through, the program is repeated 9pm Sunday evening, Forces TV, Sky channel 264. If you are interested in WW2 aircraft it is interesting.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 4th March 2016 at 19:35..
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 19:35   #12
FLYER
Banned

rover75 cdti AUTO TOURER 160 bhp.

Thanked 3,685 Times in 2,463 Posts

40,000 feet .

Christ it must have been cold .
FLYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 20:11   #13
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Talking of Spitfires, I watched a fascinating documentary on Forces TV last night, about the first aerial battle over 40,000 feet. It involved a stripped out Spitfire Mk IX and a Junkers JU86. I had never heard of a JU86, German (obviously) pressurised photographic reconnaissance aircraft capable of flying at over 40,000 feet. It flew so high it was out of reach of anti aircraft fire and RAF fighters. They started carrying a single 550lb bomb, one dropped on Bristol city centre caused a considerable number of casualties. A decision was taken to specially train a small group of RAF pilots to acclimatise them to high altitude/low pressure and two Spitfire Mk IXs were modified, stripped of armour plating and any other equipment deemed "unnecessary" and double supercharged in order to fly high enough to challenge the JU86. The German pilot spoke of the shock at finding a Spitfire on his tail at 40,000 feet, one of the cannons on the Spitfire jammed and every time he tried to fire the remaining cannon it threw the plane off balance but it did enough damage to make the JU86 dump its bomb and high tail it home. No surprise as the JU86 crew were literally sealed into the pressurised cockpit, no way of escaping a damaged aircraft! The pilots of the Spitfire and the JU86 became good friends post war.

P.S. I've had a flick through, the program is repeated 9pm Sunday evening, Forces TV, Sky channel 264. If you are interested in WW2 aircraft it is interesting.
I,ll watch it i love ww2 aircraft.
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 20:18   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin P View Post
I,ll watch it i love ww2 aircraft.
You'll enjoy it. I was channel surfing before I went to bed, that's how I spotted it. Talks about both the German and RAF pilots careers before they met at 40,000 feet and how they and their families went on to become close friends after the war.

I was into WW2 aircraft in a big way when I was younger but I had honestly never heard of the JU86.

T4 Location Map

Last edited by stevestrat; 4th March 2016 at 20:22..
Old 4th March 2016, 21:02   #15
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

for my wedding annerversary on 29th september my wife has booked me a flight in a 2 seater
Seem to be a few places around where you can get a flight.
the sight and sound make me go weak at the knees
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 21:09   #16
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Closest I got to a flight in a WW2 aircraft was when I was in the air cadets, summer camp at Kinloss. We were all getting to go on routine patrol flights in Nimrods, I was one of a handful to be picked to go over to Lossiemouth to go on a patrol flight in a Shackleton. Nine hours in a Shackleton, that really was something else.

T4 Location Map
Old 4th March 2016, 22:39   #17
Colin P
Gets stuck in

2003 Rover 75 Club SE CDT manual saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Closest I got to a flight in a WW2 aircraft was when I was in the air cadets, summer camp at Kinloss. We were all getting to go on routine patrol flights in Nimrods, I was one of a handful to be picked to go over to Lossiemouth to go on a patrol flight in a Shackleton. Nine hours in a Shackleton, that really was something else.
For my birthday later this year my wife has got me a day out at the heritage hanger at biggin hill. At the end of the tour i get to sit in a spitfire and have my photo taken.
Colin P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 16:57   #18
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

One of our most beautiful aircraft, the Spitfire.
Odd thing today, I was at an address for the first time and when the question of "date" came up, I made a remark that it was "Spitfire Day". No sooner said the guy ushered me into his lounge where he has polished crank shafts from a Spitfire and a Hurricane Merlin, fantastic.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote