Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > V8 Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th December 2015, 11:18   #11
Kevin Williams
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDT Tourer [116 bhp] in Wedgwood Blue / MG ZT CDTi [131bhp] in Anthracite

I agree with the other comments: does make it distinctive and easy to spot/remember, but they aren't legal with that spacing.

Be careful if you have an accident where you could be to blame, as this could be added to the "blame" sheet, and add to any cost. One of my work colleagues had this problem, accident his fault and he admitted it, police then looked for anything illegal on the car to contribute to the accident like bald tyres etc., and picked up on the number plate
Kevin Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 11:50   #12
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

A tester is quite correct to issue a 'fail' for either incorrect spacing/grouping and/or font as I believe there is a distinct difference between 'zero' (0) and 'oh' (O) in all the permitted faces; shadowing and edge highlighting are also 'fails' if spotted or concern the tester.
ANPR will throw up an irregularity with either.
If you insist on being individualistic - find a 'user friendly' testing station or get a set of complying plates just for the purpose of the MOT and run the gauntlet with the cops with your customised set.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 13:47   #13
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

OK so I used the online thing to put the new plate on the car....

But I cant find out how to retain the old one?

Should I have tried to retain it first before using the online service to apply the new one?

What a mess..! Insurance company is not open until Tuesday now too, I sort of wish I hadnt bothered.

Im worried my old registration has now disappeared into the ether.. and Ill never get it retained.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 13:49   #14
Polly
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 260 SE, ZS120, ZR105

[QUOTE

If you do get pulled with V260 MG then it would have to be some 'jobs worth'.

[/QUOTE]

Since when did a policeman doing his job properly become a "jobs worth"?

The design of registration plates has been carefully thought out to make it easy to read them accurately.
Would you still say it was a jobs worth, when you have the policeman calling at your door when someone has mistakenly identified YOUR number being involved in a hit and run incident? Or perhaps the other way round, you mistakenly read the number of the vehicle that has just removed the offside of your car?
For some time now, it has been illegal to produce a registration plate without being licences to do so, nor to produce
plate that LOOKS LIKE, or could be mistaken for a genuine registration mark.
All this in order to make it idiot proof.
All you and I have to do is buy our plate from a registered supplier, and it WILL be legal, because it would illegal for them to do otherwise.
Did you spot the subtle difference? Buy your plates from a legitimate source, and you might have a defence in that registered supplier X produced them, so if they aren't legal it is them who broke the law, and you are an innocent victim.
Polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 14:39   #15
Coups
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Contemporary SE

Misrepresented number plates....... When I see those on a car a certain term comes to mind. Not for me I'm afraid. Makes the car look chav.

Everyone knows how a number plate is supposed to be. Changing it simply asks for attention from the authorities. I'm guessing you do know that you never own a private plate you only pay a premium for the use of it. Three reports to dvla from police stops can and do result in your permission to display said plate being rescinded. You won't get a refund.
Coups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 15:46   #16
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by T16 View Post
Cant make up my mind whats better:-

V260 MG

or V 260 MG.....

I think the former stands out less, but the latter makes it clearer!
How about V26 OMG, just like it's supposed to be ?
I'm sorry, but one of my pet hates is illegally spaced and/or illegal font number plates.
When I went to look at/purchase a 1999 2.5 Conn SE, the owner had bought a plate at a DVLA auction & had glued black caps so it read
V6 .75. ROV (no illegal spacing).
I stopped for a coffee on the way back & promptly removed the dots back & front.
With the emphasis now on ANPR cameras to check vehicle status, I'm amazed so many people are still getting away with it.

Last edited by mh007; 26th December 2015 at 15:48..
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 16:12   #17
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

My previous car reg was T711 UE* and the number plates were getting quite scruffy so I ordered some new ones, I separated the T and 7 because on the existing plates they were so close together it couldn't be read properly. There was literally only a couple of mm between the top bar of the T on the right and the left hand top end of the 7. So I ended up with T 711 UE*. Much more readable I thought.

I was disgusted when I received an official warning notice in the post saying it was illegal due to the spacing and needed to be changed or I'd get fined. I couldn't believe it - told off for making a plate more legible! I had no idea that what I'd done was illegal and thought it totally ridiculous. Needless to say I'm still angry about it, especially when I see people driving around with obvious black screw covers in places which change the whole plate into reading something else. How come they can get away with obvious fraud when I got slapped wrists for making mine more legible?????

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.

Last edited by Alikris; 26th December 2015 at 16:19..
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 16:52   #18
Jay
This is my second home

Small....Far away

Thanked 2,060 Times in 1,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polly View Post
[QUOTE

If you do get pulled with V260 MG then it would have to be some 'jobs worth'

Since when did a policeman doing his job properly become a "jobs worth"?

The design of registration plates has been carefully thought out to make it easy to read them accurately.
Would you still say it was a jobs worth, when you have the policeman calling at your door when someone has mistakenly identified YOUR number being involved in a hit and run incident? Or perhaps the other way round, you mistakenly read the number of the vehicle that has just removed the offside of your car?
For some time now, it has been illegal to produce a registration plate without being licences to do so, nor to produce
plate that LOOKS LIKE, or could be mistaken for a genuine registration mark.
All this in order to make it idiot proof.
All you and I have to do is buy our plate from a registered supplier, and it WILL be legal, because it would illegal for them to do otherwise.
Did you spot the subtle difference? Buy your plates from a legitimate source, and you might have a defence in that registered supplier X produced them, so if they aren't legal it is them who broke the law, and you are an innocent victim.
When they are busy playing car snooker usually

I will however agree that miss representation of the spaces on a number plate is illegal, as has been said. You pay your money and you take your chances if that is what you want.
I agree that they can look 'chav' as mentioned.
My numberplate has the right spacing, but the amount of cars I have seen with wrong spacing now days, is bound to be a 'puller' plus the points and a fine
On reflection to the replies, its not the best idea in the world :xmas-smiley-005:
Old 26th December 2015, 17:19   #19
Monty Hotspur
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

It's also worth bearing in mind that you don't actually own the registration - you have paid for exclusive use which is very different. So, someone not displaying a personalised registration correctly does run the risk of it being taken away by the DVLA if they keep flouting the law.
Monty Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2015, 18:06   #20
T16
I really should get out more.......

ZT CDTi 135, ZT260SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh007 View Post
How about V26 OMG, just like it's supposed to be ?
I'm sorry, but one of my pet hates is illegally spaced and/or illegal font number plates.
When I went to look at/purchase a 1999 2.5 Conn SE, the owner had bought a plate at a DVLA auction & had glued black caps so it read
V6 .75. ROV (no illegal spacing).
I stopped for a coffee on the way back & promptly removed the dots back & front.
With the emphasis now on ANPR cameras to check vehicle status, I'm amazed so many people are still getting away with it.
Look.... This is all nonsense.... Im not messing with fonts, styles or anything, I want legit standard UK plates with the EU flag, and all im doing is adding ONE SPACE to the reg between the O and MG..... I think I can sleep safe at night knowing Im not a serial killer. Im concerned about the retention on the old one though, I transferred the new one over with an online thing and code on the form, but now I cant do anything about the old one.. I still want it... Has it gone forever, or do you think they will let me retain it?

cheers.
T16 is offline   Reply With Quote