Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th January 2009, 00:30   #11
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

I was going to get an Xbox at some point but 2 of my Mate's boxes both failed within 2 years. Don't think I'll waste me money on one now!

BTW when owners say they've had very little use, I wonder if they are leaving them in Standby, cos that wears them out, just like it shortens the life of Satellite Receivers or anything for that matter that utilises a Switch Mode PSU.

I switch all electronic equipment off at night including my Broadband modem, SAT RX & Hard drives, because as an Ex TV repair engineer I proved this practice prolongs the life of Domestic Equipment.
So much "built in obsolescence" is designed into stuff these days but with Xbox they went a little bit too far IMO

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2009, 07:47   #12
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

In my case it is switched off, unplugged and put away Jules!!!

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 05:42   #13
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I'm resurecting an old thread here - the xbox is still working well so I have agreed to have a go with a mates to see if it works on that one. Can I be lucky twice?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 07:39   #14
Christopher
Owners Club Director

Rover 75 V6 Copperleaf Red, MG ZTT 190+ Lagoon & Early MGF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I'm resurecting an old thread here - the xbox is still working well so I have agreed to have a go with a mates to see if it works on that one. Can I be lucky twice?
Good luck Mark.

I'm afraid this trick did not work for me (the towel trick) - in fact it looks like the thing is switching itself off when it detects overheating - which beats the object of the exercise I still have a non functioning Xbox and Stuart a pile of xbox games (including some he has never played) and a very long face ...

in banana veritas
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 11:23   #15
steerzpyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Auto cdti

My sons xbox came up with the rrod 13 months after I bought it, I thought it was out of warranty so I opened it and to fix it, the repair lasted about a day and then i found out that the warranty had been extended, but since i had opened it my warranty was void, DOH!

I've fixed it - if yours is out of warranty and youve tried the towell trick you might try your luck on replacing the xclamp with bolts and washers( at your own risk of course, it could end in tears)

The xbox lay gathering dust for a month and I was about to buy a new one, when i decided to I had nothing to loose by having one more go. I tested the xbox before I started - still rrod, I got some themal cpu paste from my local pc shop and found four 5mm bolts and rubber tap washers at home (i wanted nylon washers but couldnt find any).

I removed the x clamp that holds the gpu heatsink and unscrewed the four metal posts that are attached to the heatsink, cleaned off the old thermal paste, applied new paste and screwed the heatsink back in place with the new 5mm bolts and washers.

I didnt try overheating this time as i didnt really expect it to work, but it did! only to fail a day later after pretty much continuous use. So I tightend the bolts slightly, being careful that all four bolts were adjusted equally. Again I didn't bother to overheat the xbox and it has been working all through the school holidays without a glitch (touch wood). So thats three weeks play out of a 'dead' xbox, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed and carry on playing World at War

Sean
Old 17th April 2009, 18:03   #16
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Just sent mine off for repair. Second Xbox. Both lasted 10 months.
Old 17th April 2009, 18:48   #17
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Wow !
Think Ill start repairing these instead of cars

Money for old rope me thinks.
I haven't played a Video game since the Arcade Space Invaders.
My eyes just glaze over within 2 mins when friends show me these modern Xbox games

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 18:59   #18
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

The theory behind the info I used to repair my own is that the coins hold pressure on the processors so that as the unit heats up they don't move.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 19:33   #19
deano78
Loves to post

Audi A4 (formerly 75 cdt saloon)

i've fallen out big time with microsoft. my xbox got 1 red light on 2nd april. my 12 month warranty ran out on the 31st march. i begged an pleaded with them but they said no. they wanted 90quid to fix it! nearly the price of a new one. so i fixed it myself using the xclamp mod and it does work but only with the case off for some reason. On the 14th april they announced that they are extending the warranty to cover one red light to three years!! but they now wont fix mine as i've taken it to bits!! so i just sent it in to them anyway under warranty. fingers crossed.
deano78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2009, 19:42   #20
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Oddly, my XBOX is on its way to Bosch in Germany. I wonder if they will carry out a permanant fix?

I wonder how long it takes for it to return?