Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2012, 08:13   #11
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by crofts View Post
You may be lucky & be offered a 'Safety Awareness Course.' Still £60 or so fee but no points so don't have to advise insurance Co.
Don't know how far you can be over the limit to 'qualify' for the course though.
If you are offered it book quickly to get your preferred day/time to avoid time off work if this applies to you.
Don't know if it would help if you wrote quickly saying you were aware of the camera but genuinely thought it was a 40mph zone. It's no defence, of course, but could help with your driving record and future insurance premiums, thouh they do say no increase with only one speeding offence (but you will have to declare it each year when renewing insurance)
When I got caught in Suffork a couple of years ago, then the cut off point for the Speed Awareness Course was 39 in a 30 limit, so 42 might be over the limit. I was doing 34 so 3 hours in the classroom.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:24   #12
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Black Rover 75 Connie CDT and Twilight Chromactive ZT Turbo

Been on the course twice already so no chance of being offered that.

I never had any points or speeding tickets for 35yrs, despite having Porsches, Aston Martin, V12 Jag, 7series BMW, 500SL Merc etc.

Since coming to Newcastle I've been on the course twice and this will be my second 3points. Time to move back to Scotland me thinks.

The daft thing is, I normally just potter about, I'm not a fast driver. Nothing ever seems to happen to the chavs that burn rubber up and down the street every night though.
blacknwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:40   #13
2Diesels
Trader

ZT 260SE, Connoisseur CDT

I should probably keep my trap shut but last time I was nabbed was before the courses existed. I was invited into the brand new unmarked V70 to watch a short video clip a green 850 (looked the spit of mine) shoots past & the pursuit begins.....................takes him a while to catch up the other 2 times were 38 in a 30 in my old Bedford CF & exceeding the goods vehicle limit in a sherpa van got a proper wrist slap for that one, 4 points & £250 fine
2Diesels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:49   #14
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknwhite View Post
Been on the course twice already so no chance of being offered that.

I never had any points or speeding tickets for 35yrs, despite having Porsches, Aston Martin, V12 Jag, 7series BMW, 500SL Merc etc.

Since coming to Newcastle I've been on the course twice and this will be my second 3points. Time to move back to Scotland me thinks.

The daft thing is, I normally just potter about, I'm not a fast driver. Nothing ever seems to happen to the chavs that burn rubber up and down the street every night though.
So the speed awareness course has sharpened your awareness of the requirement to constantly monitor your speedometer Bob?
I had a discussion with a former traffic officer from Etal Lane about the effectiveness of the safety camera partnership, his reply to my questions may surprise you.

"The camera vans have nothing whatsoever to do with safety, they are there mainly as a revenue generation device, having these things in place merely serve to alienate the general public, as for many the only time a law abiding member of the public has and contact with the constabulary is when a S172 notice drops on the door mat".
He went on to explain in great depth the reasoning why it was better for motorists to be policed by more traditional methods, and indeed the lowering of trigger limits in fixed camera locations, to enable more motorists to be prosecuted.

He outlined that a uninsured/ unlicensed driver could happily drive past a camera van at 29MPH, and be allowed to continue on their merry way, and who would present the greatest danger, the experienced driver perhaps travelling at 35MPH, or the unlicensed one travelling at 29MPH ?.

The S172 notice as far is the only prosecution attempt, whereupon you are required to incriminate yourself.
Food for thought
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:34   #15
Kiltman
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT CDTi 135 / Rover 75 Club SE 160

I have been on 3 speed awareness courses over the years so think you can go multiple times although I'm not sure what the gaps between courses is. I also think the maximum you can be doing to be offered the course is 39 in a 30.
Kiltman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:48   #16
windrush
This is my second home

December 2004 Rover 75 2ltr CDTi Connoisseur SE HL Tourer

Thanked 3,015 Times in 2,347 Posts
Thumbs up

I was done for doing 70 in a 60 mile limit £60. And 3 points no offer of a course
Club Member No. 96 / Forum User No. 111
REGISTRATION to the club as a member FREE, FULL MEMBERSHIP is £10

WE WILL REMEMBER THEM
windrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:14   #17
DerekS
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Went on a course .. decided it was best to keep my trap shut ... even when the instructor said 'stay in 3rd gear in a 30 zone ... its just as economical '.
However I was surprised to see the wide age range of the attendees, not only boy racers, but pipe and slippers too.
DerekS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:22   #18
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
Went on a course .. decided it was best to keep my trap shut ... even when the instructor said 'stay in 3rd gear in a 30 zone ... its just as economical '.
However I was surprised to see the wide age range of the attendees, not only boy racers, but pipe and slippers too.
The courses I've been on were predominantly older people. Someone commented on it and the tutor said it was because the boy racers tend to be well over the cut off point for the course. Funnily enough, most on the course were middle aged women.
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:27   #19
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

For today only I'm offering for "boy racers", the UnX-power downgrade, this will allow unfortunate recipients of speeding tickets to sharpen up their hazard awareness skills, whilst not having to worry about going too fast
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2012, 10:31   #20
blacknwhite
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
For today only I'm offering for "boy racers", the UnX-power downgrade, this will allow unfortunate recipients of speeding tickets to sharpen up their hazard awareness skills, whilst not having to worry about going too fast
Brian
75 diesel's not exactly a rubber burner.