Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th April 2012, 21:36   #11
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Glad your sorted so far, now you just have to fit it

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2012, 21:42   #12
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricaneplanes View Post
Well I bought a second hand fan from a breakers yard, 2lt diesel engine of course, fitted it and it works perfectly. Got someone to hold the fan for testing otherwise it could have taken off. Many thanks for the help and advice.
Did you buy the two speed with the two wires and resistor or did you buy the three speed with the four wires if the later one it may go again sometime down the road but hope it holds out for you. Arctic

To fit it you could always bring it to the nano at the Four Ashes and i am sure someone will show you how to fit it as i was shown and taught by a fellow member (stocktake) i see you are not to far from the venue

two wire 2 speed with resistor

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 19th April 2012 at 22:36..
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 07:08   #13
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

James,

Nano meet, May 12th /13th I'm free to help you fit it on the day just let me know which day you are coming allow 3hours.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
Old 20th April 2012, 08:58   #14
Hurricaneplanes
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2Lt CDTI

Default Testing a Radiator Cooling Fan.

I bought the identical replacement fan from a 2lt diesel tourer and had it fitted under a 30 day warranty from the seller. So far it all looks good, however do you suggest that the wiring should be altered? If so then for sure I would like to take you up on your very king offer of help. Please let me know, and thanks again for your interest.
Hurricaneplanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 09:13   #15
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
I bought the identical replacement fan from a 2lt diesel tourer and had it fitted under a 30 day warranty from the seller. So far it all looks good, however do you suggest that the wiring should be altered? If so then for sure I would like to take you up on your very king offer of help. Please let me know, and thanks again for your interest.
I James
No suggestion of changing the wires what we needed to know or was asking was if it was a 2 speed fan with silver resistor as apposed to the 3 speed original fan with four wires.

You can tell if you have a 2speed fan with resistor by looking through the front grill at 2 oclock as in photo below. if so the resistor would need to be upgraded to a gold one either once it as broken or before the choice would be yours.

If you have no resistor it is most certainly a 3 speed four wire fan and may well last the 30 days or 3 years depending how many miles it as done already you can test the fan by pressing the demist on the car the fan should run right away if not low speed is not working. Arctic

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 18:01   #16
Hurricaneplanes
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2Lt CDTI

Hello there,
I have chec ked the fan as bought and fitted and it is the three speed four wired version. While working OK at present from what you say there is no way of knowing its expected working life. Would you then recommend the conversion and fitting of the silver resistor? If so what would the cost be for this resistor and where would I get one from ? IF the answers to these questions is yes then I will get this part but only if I can take advantage of your very kind offer of help. Please let me know.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:12   #17
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Hello there,
I have chec ked the fan as bought and fitted and it is the three speed four wired version. While working OK at present from what you say there is no way of knowing its expected working life. Would you then recommend the conversion and fitting of the silver resistor? If so what would the cost be for this resistor and where would I get one from ? IF the answers to these questions is yes then I will get this part but only if I can take advantage of your very kind offer of help. Please let me know.
Hi,

Have a look here before choosing:

Open the motor to see how many hours it can works.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=110619

Mike

Last edited by FrenchMike; 20th April 2012 at 18:14..
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 19:54   #18
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

When you say you have bought and "fitted" the replacement fan do you mean you have actually installed it on your car, or just tested it?

If you have not yet fitted it then it would make sense to inspect the motor before fitting it to ensure long life. You have an advantage in that your motor is known to be working and would overhaul well - mine was completely dead and damaged, but has responded to a repair.

There are 4 brushes in the motor and because the motor runs at low speed much of the time (due to use of the aircon) it is the wearing out of the low-speed brushes that causes the motor to fail. So as your motor still runs it would make sense to fit fresh brushes before installing it to ensure maximum life - 2 brushes only costs £10.

This is what the motor looks like inside...

...and this is the plate that the brushes are mounted on...

...mine was in quite a state! Unfortunately the low speed brush had worn away and allowed the steel pin holding the wire to badly score the commutator ring.

With the 4 wires on the left as in the picture, the 2 brushes on the left are for high speed and will likely be almost unworn - mine were still 2/3 their size so I left them alone.

The 2 brushes on the right are for speeds 1 and 2 and these will probably be well worn. You can buy a set of 2 from a seller on Ebay - just type in "Rover 75 fan brushes".

When you have fitted the brushes use a WD40 top to hold them in their housings, or as I did, the crevice tool from my Dyson. Well it was the right size...this will hold the brushes fully retracted while you fit the plate over the commutator ring.

Then your motor will probably last as long as you have the car!

Just one thing to note - Frenchmike has included a link to my thread charting the progress I made, however do not use the wiring diagrams shown for testing purposes as my car is petrol and therefore is wired differently.

Last edited by lovema75; 20th April 2012 at 19:59..
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2012, 20:07   #19
Hurricaneplanes
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2Lt CDTI

Hi there, perhaps I did not make it clear----old age and that. I bought the car 3 weeks ago today from a dealer, but as the radiator fan was not working, I got a second hand replacement, dealer paid for it, for his mechanic to fit. Collected the car late on wednesday and the fitte fan is working well. I have the old fan which I intend to refurbish and keep as a spare. But obviously if there is "upgrade" which is recommended then I would like to know and implement it. Hope that I have explained things are a little clearer this time.
Old 20th April 2012, 20:17   #20
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Hi James, old age tell me about it

Right.

There are two types of fan for your car, two speed and three speed, they are different wiring but both will fit and work on your car.

The older type is the three speed, known to last around 60k, the motor brushes can be replaced but if the fan has failed on all three speeds it is usually a lost cause.

The newer two speed fan uses an external resistor, the fan motor is very reliable and once the external resistor is replaced with an upgraded one it is pretty bulletproof.

I am afraid you cannot fit a resistor to your three speed fan, it is not compatible.