Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th February 2017, 21:56   #11
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

I hadn't noticed the bit about the clutch being quite new. Assuming it hasn't been driven like a dragster, or had the clutch being rode constantly I'd suspect contamination of the friction plate. First suspect for that would be a leak from the slave cylinder. If the bite point on the clutch is low especially on first use on a day/journey then that is one indicator. Second possible cause is oil leakage from the crank seal, but that must be rareish occurrence on these engines (unless it's been overfilled with oil at some point?). Only other option is something entering from external. I know that my clutch slipped a fair bit when I had HP fuel pump leak that coated the bottom of the engine in diesel fuel, I suspect is was being blown up through the drain on the bell housing: it wouldn't take much getting in to cause the clutch to slip under enthusiastic acceleration. In fact it's slipping again if I punch the throttle above about 2,400 rpm (so I try not to).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2017, 00:03   #12
veasmkii
Regular poster

MG ZT MK1 135 CDTi +

I'm siding with you guys on this one. Probably is the clutch in all fairness.

A few reasons really -- mostly my driving I imagine. I give the car a really hard time I just enjoy driving it.

But a while back (a few weeks after the clutch was installed, coincidence :P?) the gear linkage became disconnected and I had to drive about 10 miles with only 3/4th to get it repaired. Should have towed it, but definitely burnt up the clutch a little bit.

I guess that's enough of a reason right there to be fair. Just didn't expect it to die so soon.

I just find it odd that i'm not smelling any burning clutch at all. Maybe it is contaminated as others have suggested. Either way -- looks like i'll be opening her up at some point to find out and at that point, may as well throw a new plate in and whatever else could do with replacing.

Last edited by veasmkii; 10th February 2017 at 00:05..
veasmkii is offline   Reply With Quote