Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th May 2014, 18:16   #11
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
So how exactly will UKIP's policy of abolishing the minimum wage help the situation?
It won't.
I think people really need to read up on UKIP, instead of voting for them on a whim.
They're actually libertarians and I hope people who vote for them realise what they would be getting if the party was to actually get into power

Villa, Stella, Balti.
It's Brummie latin that means, er......

Vis tester available to local V6 owners
Anon3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 19:48   #12
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Thanked 1,196 Times in 818 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiltman View Post
So how exactly will UKIP's policy of abolishing the minimum wage help the situation?
Can you provide a link for that please, as I've just been on their site and the only thing I can find that refers to the minimum wage, is the fact that they will stop anyone on minimum wage paying income tax!
MrDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 20:12   #13
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoodles View Post
Can you provide a link for that please, as I've just been on their site and the only thing I can find that refers to the minimum wage, is the fact that they will stop anyone on minimum wage paying income tax!
You're correct, it seems they've dropped it or at least left it out.
The manifesto is totally different from last year's or the year before when I last read it.

This sums them up for me though. From Wiki;

Taxation and economy

UKIP proposes cuts in corporation taxes and the abolition of inheritance taxes.[94] The abolition of inheritance tax would cost about £3bn a year.[95] A flat rate of tax and the abolition of national insurance are advocated, which UKIP says will simplify the tax system, although it is currently unclear what this flat tax rate would be set at.[96] UKIP proposes "tens of billions" of cuts to taxation, along with a further £77bn of cuts to the public sector in order to reduce the deficit.[96] The economic plans outlined by UKIP have been called into question by The Times, who have highlighted a “£120 billion black hole” in their spending plans.[97]

No taxes = no services or support if you're in trouble.
And some think the tories are bad?

Don't get me wrong, I'm craving for change, but voting UKIP isn't the answer, imo.

I really shouldn't get involved in political discussions, as they're bad news and lead to people falling out, but oh well

Villa, Stella, Balti.

Old 5th May 2014, 20:17   #14
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon3 View Post
You're correct, it seems they've dropped it or at least left it out.
So basically, they have no such Policy and the OP was scaremongering then!

Ignoring the rest of your post, with the state that the Country's in, do you SERIOUSLY think they could make things any worse than the LibLabCon have done since 1948?
Old 5th May 2014, 20:42   #15
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
So basically, they have no such Policy and the OP was scaremongering then!

Ignoring the rest of your post, with the state that the Country's in, do you SERIOUSLY think they could make things any worse than the LibLabCon have done since 1948?
Er, no.
I believe it was there quite recently, iirc.
Probably been conveniently dropped or more likely just omitted, as all parties are prone to do when things don't suit at any particular time.

Could they make things worse?
I seriously doubt it, but that's not saying much.

I'll hold my hands up here and admit to being far more left wing than any of the parties we're talking about.

To put it quite simply, I believe we need a MASSIVE change in the distribution of wealth.
If we had that, your everyday Joe would spend money on things they need.
As opposed to the wealthy just accumulating more money which they don't need to spend because they already have everything they want.

That's the way to really get the economy moving, imo.
This would also involve higher direct taxes, but of course, that's downright unpopular these days, even though "you get what you pay for" is oft quoted.

I just knew I shouldn't have got involved here

Villa, Stella, Balti.

Old 5th May 2014, 20:47   #16
MrDoodles
Banned

MG ZT+ V6 190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon3 View Post
To put it quite simply, I believe we need a MASSIVE change in the distribution of wealth.
If we had that, your everyday Joe would spend money on things they need.
As opposed to the wealthy just accumulating more money which they don't need to spend because they already have everything they want.
So as Labour was in power for 13 years, why didn't they do that?

Instead, they signed us up to the Lisbon Treaty and Freedom of Movement Act, that allowed the largest influx of people into the Country in history, giving the indigenous of this Country, the double whammy of doubling house prices beyond the means of the average paid worker and suppressing wage levels, so that the minimum wage is now the maximum wage in many areas!
Old 5th May 2014, 21:05   #17
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
So as Labour was in power for 13 years, why didn't they do that?

Instead, they signed us up to the Lisbon Treaty and Freedom of Movement Act, that allowed the largest influx of people into the Country in history, giving the indigenous of this Country, the double whammy of doubling house prices beyond the means of the average paid worker and suppressing wage levels, so that the minimum wage is now the maximum wage in many areas!
Easy, that one.
Labour under Blair or Milliband wasn't/isn't the Labour I know of old.
It would never have allowed this out-torying the tories, which imo is what's happened.
New Labour had to be seen to be doing what was popular at the time, in improving the economy.
The trouble is, what's good for the economy is not neccessarily good for the people at the bottom.

That's why I'm now reluctant to vote for Labour, even though they're the best of a bad bunch.

Villa, Stella, Balti.

Old 5th May 2014, 21:18   #18
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

With so many MP's now being landlords, (25% was quoted on "Question time" a while back) there's no way they will want new cheaper housing built. So where are our children going to live???

I personally have five grand children and they all live with their parents, they have no chance whatsoever of buying a home for themselves... Unless - -
They leave their parents, friends, and jobs, and move 200 miles North, and hope they can find work....
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2014, 21:33   #19
Anon3
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
With so many MP's now being landlords, (25% was quoted on "Question time" a while back) there's no way they will want new cheaper housing built. So where are our children going to live???

I personally have five grand children and they all live with their parents, they have no chance whatsoever of buying a home for themselves... Unless - -
They leave their parents, friends, and jobs, and move 200 miles North, and hope they can find work....
An excellent point and one of my major moans about what's going on in the real world!

This is just criminal and Labour under Blair continued the policy of not building new housing, which is just another reason I detested him so much.

The fact that Labour supported a situation where people claiming dole were contributing to second mortgages/ buy to lets, disgusts me.
And they all still refuse to release money for new housing, that has been saved by councils being forced to sell their stock.

And I'm talking about Birmingham prices here, which are stupidly high for what you get.
London is just absurd and 10% pa increases can't possibly be sustained.

It's the economics of the madhouse, as the right wing media are so fond of saying

Villa, Stella, Balti.

Last edited by Anon3; 5th May 2014 at 21:42..
Old 5th May 2014, 21:38   #20
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post

Indeed, there are far too many rich people in charge of large plots of land, housing, planning and development in this country. Or are using the housing situation as part of their investment portfolio at the expense of ordinary folk.

I'm 28, live in Oxford which is now the worst place outside of London to buy a home in terms of average wage to average house price, the house next door to where I'm current living is a modest 1950s 3-bed semi-detached house, it's currently on the market with an asking price of ...wait for it... £420,000.

Would very much like someone in power to tell me how I'm ever going to buy a house of my own without winning the Lottery?

Don't get me started on the 'Help to Buy Scheme', which should be renamed the 'Help to push up house prices scheme' by lending people more money than they can already afford and thus have the confidence to offer even more for a house they already can't afford.

It's interesting that virtually no party talks about the basics, which is supply and demand. The ONLY way to lower house prices is to INCREASE supply (build more houses) AND/OR CUT demand, there are still hundreds of thousands more people coming to live in the UK than leave each year, these all need somewhere to live. This has been going on for years, and no one does anything about it. Despite Mr. Camerons promises to bring it in to the 'tens of thousands'.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote