Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Items Wanted
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th July 2014, 11:31   #11
andre372
Gets stuck in

2001 Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 CDT manual Royal Blue (JFM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
Get a PDF reader from Adobe.com, open the Widows_xp_installation_ma File and follow the instructions...
Well yes, as I don't have acrobat installed on this particular partition you might think I haven't read the instructions. I have, actually. The instructions say nothing about chipset drivers and the need to plug into the car. I have tried it both ways, however.

In the instructions you plug the device in, Windows prompts to install software for the newly found hardware, the device is identified as "BMW Scanner V14x", you show the location of the drivers, the drivers are installed and everything done, finito.

When I plug the scanner in, Windows acknowledges something really is plugged in, but it ends in malfunction, and unidentified device in device manager and the inability to install the drivers.

MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors
andre372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 11:34   #12
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

ok if that is no good then do as stated above and download the new chipset driver from the internet... jus do a search under BMW scanner (version number)
Old 19th July 2014, 12:04   #13
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
ok if that is no good then do as stated above and download the new chipset driver from the internet... jus do a search under BMW scanner (version number)
I have different versions of P.A. Soft's BMW Scanner software. The drivers packed with 1.4.0.7 and 1.4.0.9 seem to be the same.

I have also tried with the newest drivers from FTDI's webpage (tried in both XP and 7). Only once did I get Windows 7 to recognize the device as "BMW Scanner V14x" after using an old printer cable instead of the one that came with the scanner, that was with the drivers from FTDI already installed. No manual driver installation was possible and it isn't listed in device manager.

I just want to have a play with the new IPK already...
MODS: Front fog lamps, FBH timer switch, FBH OBD, boot and arm rest power sockets, cruise control, Powerflex lower arm bushes, illuminated vanity mirrors, high-line IPK, Symphony stereo + SLE, 160 remap, Revotec fan, 12N+12S, auto-dimming rear view mirror, rain sensor, volumetric alarm sensor, PDC, powerfolds, sports leather memory seats, passenger anti-trap sensor
TO DO: Tilt sensor, low coolant sensor, FBH GSM remote control, heated washer jets, front parking sensors

Last edited by andre372; 19th July 2014 at 12:09..
Old 19th July 2014, 12:10   #14
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

but your looks ready to use if you plug into the car...
Old 19th July 2014, 12:36   #15
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
but your looks ready to use if you plug into the car...
Yes it does look so but... I just double checked: plugged into the car, switched ignition, plugged into the computer. Result - USB device not recognised, malfunction etc. And the software still shows the adapter is not plugged in.
Old 19th July 2014, 12:42   #16
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
Yes it does look so but... I just double checked: plugged into the car, switched ignition, plugged into the computer. Result - USB device not recognised, malfunction etc. And the software still shows the adapter is not plugged in.
Mike refused to work so I uninstalled drivers and went into device manager and installed the USB chipset driver and did this one before plugging the dongle into the PC... once in then plug in the dongle to car and PC and see what it detects...
Old 19th July 2014, 13:10   #17
andre372
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Mike refused to work so I uninstalled drivers and went into device manager and installed the USB chipset driver and did this one before plugging the dongle into the PC... once in then plug in the dongle to car and PC and see what it detects...
Which drivers did you uninstall and which chipset drivers did you install?

I have no FTDI drivers installed and the system drivers are all the latest from Dell.
Old 19th July 2014, 13:22   #18
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre372 View Post
Which drivers did you uninstall and which chipset drivers did you install?

I have no FTDI drivers installed and the system drivers are all the latest from Dell.
the scanner is on a standalone in my garage... I will fire it up later and take a look..
Old 19th July 2014, 14:40   #19
andre372
Gets stuck in

I gave it another shot on the standalone XP laptop.
As usual, when plugging the scanner in it gives an error and doesn't let drivers to be installed. So I had no drivers installed for the device.
I then installed the drivers directly from FTDI. And plugged the scanner in. Surprisingly, there was no error nor a new hardware prompt. In the device manager, there was still an "Unknown device". I tried installing the drivers from the scanner folder. The device was recognised as "BMW Scanner" and the drivers installed. Upon finishing, the device failed to start. "BMW Scanner" appeared in device manager but with an error mark.
I closed the lid and ran to the car. Plugged everything in again and... unidentified device blah-blah... And an unknown device in device manager.

If this isn't a faulty scanner I don't know what it is.

Does anyone have a spare scanner or at least know a trustworthy UK/European supplier who doesn't ask a fortune?

Last edited by andre372; 19th July 2014 at 14:49..
Old 26th July 2014, 09:40   #20
andre372
Gets stuck in

Acquired!
Against all odds, stumbled on a bloke in Estonia who sells them.
Plugged it in, windows prompts for driver install. Everything working as it should!