Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 30th December 2015, 16:18   #11
Bobble

MG ZT CDTi

After some investigating today it seems there is a blue/white amp remote wire redundent on the headunit. I think this needs to be connected to something to power the amp so would explain no sub. Any ideas on where to connect it ? If it's to complecated thinking maybe put the old H/U back
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 16:39   #12
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
After some investigating today it seems there is a blue/white amp remote wire redundent on the headunit. I think this needs to be connected to something to power the amp so would explain no sub. Any ideas on where to connect it ? If it's to complecated thinking maybe put the old H/U back
Explained here - http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=64566

But I doubt the rest of the speakers would work if the amp wasn't on.
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 19:20   #13
Bobble

MG ZT CDTi

Yes this is where i go to confused.com Jack. Unless the remote wire is connected the amp wont work. There doesn't appear to be anything from the rear tweeters either. Guess if i pull the connectors off the amp and I still have sound the H/U can't be on the H/K loom. Due to the standard of DIY i've come across it doesn't inspire confidence that something isn't how it's supposed to be.

Just pulled both plugs from amp and still got sound. Some tracing of looms next.

Last edited by Bobble; 30th December 2015 at 19:56..
Old 30th December 2015, 23:35   #14
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

It seems I'm the only person replying here, but I'm struggling to properly understand the problem your having, probably because your drip feeding questions without giving us the full backstory.

If you do need any further help, and you'd like a reply, are you able to provide a little more backstory as to the problem your experiencing?

Hope you understand what I mean - it's just my lack of comprehension!
Old 31st December 2015, 10:28   #15
Bobble

MG ZT CDTi

Appriciate your interest Jack and yes it's bit of a strange one. Bought the car a few months ago and was told it had the H/K set up installed. The bass quality was pretty poor so was looking to improve this. In place I had a VDO H/U, boot CD changer and the XQK 100190 amp mounted underneath. This is when I found out there was no sub fitted. I put a Sony Xplode H/U in and although the quality was better it still isn't what I am after. I bought the sub thinking it it would simply plug into the 4 pin molex connector (situated near the rear parcel shelf) from the amp loom and boom away. Checked molex plug for power and it came up dead. Back to Sony H/U where I found the AMP REM lead not connected to anything. Looked into this and found it should be connected to something to switch the amp on. So now I'm assuming the Amp is powerless. I've disconnected and removed the Amp altogether now but still have the stereo working as before. This is where I'm getting a tad stumped. If the loom from the H/U goes to the Amp then to the speakers would the stereo still be working with the Amp is removed . I'm thinking not. So maybe the loom attached to the Amp is not the one I have attached to the H/U. I could go down the line of tracing it back but think, first off, I will connect the original VDO H/U to see if that fires the Amp up. Any replies are much appriciated and, as you have been the only one to reply, I realize this is not a straight forward issue to reslove. Thanks for reading and trying to make sense of it anyway JacK.
Old 31st December 2015, 10:43   #16
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobble View Post
Appriciate your interest Jack and yes it's bit of a strange one. Bought the car a few months ago and was told it had the H/K set up installed. The bass quality was pretty poor so was looking to improve this. In place I had a VDO H/U, boot CD changer and the XQK 100190 amp mounted underneath. This is when I found out there was no sub fitted. I put a Sony Xplode H/U in and although the quality was better it still isn't what I am after. I bought the sub thinking it it would simply plug into the 4 pin molex connector (situated near the rear parcel shelf) from the amp loom and boom away. Checked molex plug for power and it came up dead. Back to Sony H/U where I found the AMP REM lead not connected to anything. Looked into this and found it should be connected to something to switch the amp on. So now I'm assuming the Amp is powerless. I've disconnected and removed the Amp altogether now but still have the stereo working as before. This is where I'm getting a tad stumped. If the loom from the H/U goes to the Amp then to the speakers would the stereo still be working with the Amp is removed . I'm thinking not. So maybe the loom attached to the Amp is not the one I have attached to the H/U. I could go down the line of tracing it back but think, first off, I will connect the original VDO H/U to see if that fires the Amp up. Any replies are much appriciated and, as you have been the only one to reply, I realize this is not a straight forward issue to reslove. Thanks for reading and trying to make sense of it anyway JacK.
Ok I think I understand now.

It certainly does sound odd - with the loom installed properly, and the amp not connected, there is simply no connection between the speaker ISO pins at the stereo end, and the speakers themselves. They get as far as the amplifier, which is where they get joined together.

As you've worked out, this must mean something isn't connected.

Does your parcel shelf have the grille in it for the sub? If not, and from the fact it didn't come with the sub (or the fixings scrivet plastic things in the boot?), it's likely it didn't come with it from the factory.

I would wager perhaps someone attempted the retrofit, got as far as partially installing the wiring and just never bothered finishing it?
Old 31st December 2015, 11:28   #17
Bobble

MG ZT CDTi

Yes it has the grille and i'm with you that this was another project that got a bit complicated for a buget DIYer who didn't have the know how to do it or the cash to get someone else to do it. Hacked off a bit that he used the H/K set up as a selling point though. Probably leave it until I have some spare time in the new year now to start from scratch. The Sony H/U isn't to bad for now lol.

Many Thanks Jack,
Old 1st January 2016, 22:26   #18
awvc1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If your head unit has pre outs, i'd really recommend forgetting the hk amp, and picking up a cheap 2 channel amp and wiring that in its place. you will get much better quality bass out of it. I have an hk amp upstairs i never used for this reason.

Mods:

FBH
Revotec Fan
Inline 'stat
Xenon lights + washers
BMW MK4 satnav, clock mod, BT ulf, 16:9 screen & TV
upgraded BM54 + BT Aux-in
Miracast box
Glasses holder
Flip Key
Spyhole +Jules plenum shield
PPD - badges,rear plinth, carpeted heater panels, anchor bolts, reflectors
Walnut Dash, handbrake+gearshift
Twin Horns
Drivers cupholder
HK Speakers
Chrome bullet mirrors
Digital speedo
LED interior bulbs
Resler interface
USB charging sockets x2
awvc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2016, 12:01   #19
Bobble

MG ZT CDTi

I do have RCA Audio out rear/sub on the H/U. If this is what's needed to plug and play a different amp it may well save me a lot of time and effort chasing back the other wiring loom. Thanks for the recomendation Tony.