Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th November 2023, 11:42   #11
biffa75
Gets stuck in

Mk1 2004 tourer cdti + MK1 2003 Saloon CDT

Just had a look at the car this morning for anyone else who maybe interested.

The car is NOT driveable!
One tyre is completely bald and cracked badly, two other tyres are also badly cracked,
Lower engine mount rubber also none existent engine was moving around the engine bay
Ball joint gaiter on one lower arm virtually none existent (ball and socket visible clearly) drop link rubbers also none existent again and ball and socket visible.
Rear sills have seen some work, possibly filler on the back side of the drivers inner sill
Also fresh coolant was around the expansion bottle on first opening the bonnet. Then once the engine was run, coolant did not come from around the cap suggesting the cap was fine. No coolant in the V, no obvious coolant leaks from anywhere else so if the coolant may have been topped up (looked fresh and bright pink).

Exhaust was also blowing badly from the back box, rear upper arms are heavily corroded
Some nice bits on it however but as I say, it is not driveable and should not have an MOT.

I made the seller aware that I wouldn't be able to take the car due to its condition and the response I got was that webuyanycar offered him 500 pound yesterday and that it has 6 months MOT to which I made it quite clear it shouldn't have an MOT

If you want this car, I would advise collection with a trailer.

This isn't a post bashing the car, but so people are aware should they be travelling any distance as we have. We was told the car was driveable but sadly this isn't the case.

Last edited by biffa75; 9th November 2023 at 15:08..
biffa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 14:14   #12
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Thank you for the heads up on this car.
Old 9th November 2023, 15:28   #13
The Rovering Member
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 saloon

WBAC wouldn't give him £500 if they saw it. Nowhere near it.

The Rovering Member is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 15:46   #14
biffa75
Gets stuck in

Not a problem briodyJ

I suspect WBAC won't give him anything for it. A few useful parts on it as I say but unfortunately it's really only scrap

Last edited by biffa75; 9th November 2023 at 15:53..
Old 9th November 2023, 16:36   #15
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Thanks for taking a look at it!

To me it doesn't sound like it's a scrapper, but definitely a bit worse than originally thought.

What's the issue with the coolant? - is the implication that it's been topped up because of an issue such as an undiagnosed leak or HGF?

The other mechanicals don't seem all that serious and tyres are a consumable item.

It does sound like the MoT might be a bit questionable though, given the faults listed.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2023, 16:49   #16
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist View Post
Thanks for taking a look at it!

To me it doesn't sound like it's a scrapper, but definitely a bit worse than originally thought.

What's the issue with the coolant? - is the implication that it's been topped up because of an issue such as an undiagnosed leak or HGF?

The other mechanicals don't seem all that serious and tyres are a consumable item.

It does sound like the MoT might be a bit questionable though, given the faults listed.

Biffa 75 is very experienced in what he’s looking at. I’ve also been on the phone with with and explained what’s wrong with the car. Yes it’s not a lost cause but and it’s a big BUT, sadly that car is not the best and would ideally be a parts donor. With the high potential for engine issues and big ones, sills that are full of filler. Also there’s tail tail signs of very bad internal rust.

Sadly the days are numbered for this old lady. If someone was to buy it. They would need to trailer it away it’s not safe to be on the road.

The MOT is not abit questionable. It’s a hooky MOT.
Old 9th November 2023, 16:57   #17
biffa75
Gets stuck in

Not a problem,

I was prepared to drive it away wish cash in my pocket ready to go.
The coolant being present, I have no idea. As I said no obvious leaks from the radiator or around the cam cover or in the V. I suspect possible head gasket issue due to mayo being present after running the car. (Cap was clean prior to running it). And with no other obvious leaks... It's certainly suspect.

While tyres and other items are consumables, these are also mot failure points and with 7 months mot still left on it, rubber gators on ball joints etc don't just fail overnight to the extent the ball and sockets are clearly visible.

The car has covered around 100 miles since it's last MOT and the tyres weren't picked up on the MOT. It's certainly had a questionable mot.
With the lower engine mount being so badly worn, the engine could be moved by one hand, with the upper inlet hitting the bulkhead and the engine cover virtually hitting the radiator. The upper engine mount was also splitting badly (lower engine mount had clearly been in a bad way for a long time).

While the problems don't sound bad.. and all sortable issues, it's certainly not safe to be driven and now knowing the car has been listed on Facebook for £995 it's no wonder it's now available for £300. I highly suspect others have shown interest in the car and found the same as myself as the seller did state he'd been offered £300 scrap for it but didn't want it scrapped. When I handed the key back to the seller, there was a shift in mood and the mention wbac offering him 500 pound yesterday and that he hadn't lost anything.. at which point I chose to leave.

Ppd dash
Sandstone seats good (plastic on passenger seat busted off)
Carpet cut down the side of the drivers seat (most likely to get to the impact sensor for the airbag).
Driver's door lock issue
Powerfolds worked
Blind worked
The engine ran but didn't sound too healthy and after running it there was a oil clot lump on the bottom of the dipstick (similar to an engine that's not had a service for a very long time and mayo on the oil cap)
Window mechs worked but drivers window made a horrible grinding noise
And sills that had seen some effort and the back side of the drivers inner sill straight away the wrong shape and possibly full of filler..

I was stood there contemplating getting part worn tyres fitted just to nurse it back home (100 miles) but even then it wouldn't have been safe to drive.

Some savable.parts just go with a trailer or low loader.
Old 9th November 2023, 17:46   #18
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

Robert spoke to me on the phone today and I must admit that I was very surprised at what he told me after the information I had been given by the old man who I assume is the father of the man who listed the car on face book which Robert subsequently found and I have since looked at the listing. I did check the car out on the MOT history website before I put it on the forum, and the few advisories it had didn't appear to be that serious, but from what Robert has since told me about the condition, it seems the MOT is very questionable and it shouldn't have passed. It seems that both father and son were trying it on and were being economical with the truth. In fact downright lying.
The father actually told me that he didn't have anybody who could help him list the car on the internet to sell it which was a blatant lie as he son had already done so. As for them being offered £500 by Webuyanycar, they are living in cloud cuckoo land!! They would probably have to pay them for wasting their time.
I am sorry to have sent Robert on a wild goose chase, but I took what the old man told me in good faith.
PS The original reg no I gave was a typo error. Sorry.
Old 9th November 2023, 19:04   #19
Tourist
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Tourer CDTi

Sounds like we're on the same page then - thanks again for doing the legwork @Biffa75.

Shame it didn't work out - better luck all round next time I guess.

Cheers all.
Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote