Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 1st August 2013, 14:05   #11
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James.uk View Post
I fawt coasting in idle (feewheeling) was illegal in the UK????? innit??
No, not even running off without paying for a key transponder is, apparently
You old scallywag
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 14:07   #12
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
Mine does exactly the same - but not every time. There is no pattern at all as to when it does and when it doesn't - hot or cold makes no difference. I don't believe it's MAF related, as it was there both before and after the fitting of brand new Bosch one. Tickover INSTANTLY goes back to normal when I release the brake pedal - if I keep my foot on the brake, it take a few seconds longer.
Many years ago, it was not unusual for engine revs to drop when braking - the older type vacuum servos seemed to place a load on the engine as they operated - or is that my memory fading since the sixties ?
It has been suggested that it is vacuum related, but on the diesels there is no vacuum to be had at the manifold so a separate vacuum pump is fitted.

Can't see that having any effect on the engine load, and the revs return to normal once the car is stopped even if you leave your foot on the pedal.

I wonder if it is more tied into the brake pedal switch signal itself causing the ECM to drop the revs? But there must be another factor involved or all the diesels would do the same.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 14:08   #13
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
No, not even running off without paying for a key transponder is, apparently
You old scallywag
Brian
Brian do you get this on your diesel and if so does the magic wand shine any light on the cause?
Old 1st August 2013, 16:28   #14
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Ooeerr Sorry Brian, I didn't realise you fitted anything, just thought you told it to behave itself.

Not to worry, I will sort you out either by paypal or when we meet again, if you PM me your choice and the amount I absconded with..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 17:49   #15
peter lee
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Default Solution?

Hello,
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but my car has been suffering the same problems. Anyway, over the last 12 days my car has been to 3 different garages, and been put through a T4 diagnostic without any insight into the problem.
I have been trawling through this and the mg/rover forum looking for a solution, and saw that sometimes the problem can be cruise control related.
Anyway, finally I found what was wrong with it, the switch on the clutch pedal was damaged, both the black clip and the actual white switch inside were faulty.
10 minutes to change both and the car is as sweet as a nut again. It may not be the answer to everyone's problem, but it was 100% the cause of mine. Just to prove it, I put the old switch back in and the judder was back.

I have now done about 150 fault free miles, and my smile is firmly back.
peter lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2013, 22:01   #16
Mike Noc
This is my second home

That's interesting Pete. Did the cruise control work OK before you changed the switches?
Old 25th October 2013, 22:41   #17
peter lee
Regular poster

Rover 75 saloon

Tbh, thats what led me to the problem. I rarely use the cruise comtrol. But on the rare occasion I did it was a bit hit and miss. All three garages didn't think it was related. When I started wiggling the switch, either the CC would work, OR the judder stopped.
peter lee is offline   Reply With Quote