Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th November 2015, 08:13   #11
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

After I wrote my post a couple of hours ago I went back into Security & Upates and tried the retry button on the failed update.
It took two hours give and take a couple of minutes.
If you are going to do this dont`t think your comp has froze, mine seemed to hang at a couple of point`s but I just left it alone.
Thanks for the original post, if I had not read that I would not have known about any update, all previous updates, the smaller ones were installed automatic.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 08:25   #12
humphshumphs
I really should get out more.......

No longer a Rover Owner

Location: As far east as you can go in the UK and not get wet feet.

Just found a bit more about the 1511 update.

Full details here

But basically, 1511 is a cumulative update which means if you haven't updated, it downloads everything in one lump and updates, but if you are good and update regularly, then it's not too big/long.

It does also say that if after installing 1511, you add a language pack, you will need to re-install 1511 .... so if you want a different language on your computer, do it before installing this update

No longer a 75 owner as my tourer made it to the moon, and died on it's way back. But 1/4 million miles ain't bad.
humphshumphs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 08:25   #13
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

I thought the same thing too when it was going through the update, That other reply that didn't make sense previous to last reply was because I spilled my fruit & fibre cereal on the keyboard

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 08:27   #14
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by humphshumphs View Post
Just found a bit more about the 1511 update.

Full details here

But basically, 1511 is a cumulative update which means if you haven't updated, it downloads everything in one lump and updates, but if you are good and update regularly, then it's not too big/long.

It does also say that if after installing 1511, you add a language pack, you will need to re-install 1511 .... so if you want a different language on your computer, do it before installing this update

I was surprised to see failed updates in there too as I have automatic updates switched on.

Old 26th November 2015, 09:58   #15
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
I've had an Asus X553M laptop for three weeks with Windows 10.
I'm not impressed TBH, I decided to try Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit, what a palava to get the machine to boot from CD, eventually I found that you cannot install another operating system due to the bios being pre installed with a Windows 10 header, this wont allow the installation of Mint.
So I am rather annoyed as I wanted to run them alongside each other, typical Microsoft!
Old 26th November 2015, 10:15   #16
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
I've had an Asus X553M laptop for three weeks with Windows 10.
I'm not impressed TBH, I decided to try Linux Mint 17.2 64 bit, what a palava to get the machine to boot from CD, eventually I found that you cannot install another operating system due to the bios being pre installed with a Windows 10 header, this wont allow the installation of Mint.
So I am rather annoyed as I wanted to run them alongside each other, typical Microsoft!
You may well still be in a position to return to your previous version of Windows if only 3 weeks since the update, that may then allow install of Linux Mint.

If you don't like all the tiles in W10 have you tried left clicking the Start Button? - It shows a drop down menu with more options than you can imagine, and on my laptop, W10 loads from cold start in 31 seconds !

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 10:57   #17
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

After reading this thread I looked at my pc and laptop today and both had update 1511 listed as tried and failed. This was done as an auto upgrade.

I tried to install the upgrade again on both machines. They downloaded and restarted over a period about an hour or so. Both failed.

I tried to install the upgrade again on both machines. Both succeeded. Both took over an hour.

For me windows 10 is the best OS I have had. I liked XP, vista (yes I know) and windows 7. I hated 8 so muck I uninstalled it and put 7 on. I also have a laptop running Mint. I really like 10.

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 26th November 2015 at 11:02..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2015, 11:37   #18
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
After reading this thread I looked at my pc and laptop today and both had update 1511 listed as tried and failed. This was done as an auto upgrade.

I tried to install the upgrade again on both machines. They downloaded and restarted over a period about an hour or so. Both failed.

I tried to install the upgrade again on both machines. Both succeeded. Both took over an hour.

For me windows 10 is the best OS I have had. I liked XP, vista (yes I know) and windows 7. I hated 8 so muck I uninstalled it and put 7 on. I also have a laptop running Mint. I really like 10.

I'm glad they updated OK, From what I'm seeing a lot of people are finding this 1511 update hasn't updated itself automatically & they're having to install it manually too.
I've just realised! my Ubuntu media PC bit the dust the other week that I have hooked up to the TV, I have another Win 10 PC hooked up to it at the moment & have just set that to install the 1511 update, An hour into the update & it's still not finished.
I'll get another cheap PC off ebay to install Ubuntu on, For the cost of another hard drive & another memory stick I can get another PC. I've been using Ubuntu for so long I prefer it to Win 10

Old 26th November 2015, 16:37   #19
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsceola View Post
You may well still be in a position to return to your previous version of Windows if only 3 weeks since the update, that may then allow install of Linux Mint.

If you don't like all the tiles in W10 have you tried left clicking the Start Button? - It shows a drop down menu with more options than you can imagine, and on my laptop, W10 loads from cold start in 31 seconds !
Hi.
Unfortunately the laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
It has done the update today and the laptop was out of commission for over 4 hours.
At least I still run Mint 17.2 on my main PC in the shed, OK its slower to load but all this palava on Windoze and seeming to have landed with a virus yesterday is very annoying.
I'd boot out Win 10 in a jiffy if I could
Old 26th November 2015, 17:27   #20
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi.
Unfortunately the laptop came with Windows 10 pre-installed.
It has done the update today and the laptop was out of commission for over 4 hours.
At least I still run Mint 17.2 on my main PC in the shed, OK its slower to load but all this palava on Windoze and seeming to have landed with a virus yesterday is very annoying.
I'd boot out Win 10 in a jiffy if I could

I don't mind this Win 10 & yes I'd have left Win 7 on the PC if I hadn't have believed all the hype.

I will get another cheap desktop off ebay, loads of quite decent spec desktops for cheap money & install ubuntu on it to use as the media PC for the TV.
I might leave it til after Christmas when a lot of people will be getting new PC's & putting the old ones on ebay
In all the years I used Ubuntu/Linux I never had a minutes trouble or virus or crash, Nowt.