Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2010, 11:23   #11
picky747
Gets stuck in

ROVER

I got my bottom hose (No 10 on the Rimmers link) from SMC on Ebay for £26.It was a brand new original MG/Rover part as well
picky747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 11:35   #12
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Anyone got a link for large Silicone hoses in Black as I don't like the Blue type and always like to keep engine bays having the "untampered look"?

Non OEM stuff always looks a bit bodged and a bit "Barry'd" IMO

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 17:54   #13
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

have you tried Demon-Tweekes? They,re in Wrexham i believe
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 18:23   #14
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Just for once, just once, I would like to post something positive on this site totally unrelated to the tech stuff. It seems that most of us are just posting up problems and trying to help each other out. It should not be this way; it is nonsense. I have never in 25 years driving had so much bad luck with a car. Is it just me being unlucky? I had never even heard of Rover 75's before I bought it, I just saw it on autotrader and liked the look even though just grey haired men seemed to drive them. It seems 'the look' is all my car has ever had going for it - and even that has been spoilt by some maniac with a nail and 2 idiots who can't drive. Head gasket, split hoses, oil leaks, heater blocked, brake pipes corroding, bulbs constantly blowing, airbag warning light, you name it, just waiting for the clutch to go now. It is a money-pit, it has ruined me financially - spent around £1600 on it in 2 years and it's not even worth that to sell anymore. I wish I had never laid eyes on it. You should not in these modern times have to lift your bonnet every morning to check water etc, it is ridiculous. Even the bonnet cables fail from over-use! I had 2 mondeo's previous to this and the only time I checked oil and water was before a monstrously long holiday drive. It is like going back 30 years and looking after an old banger!
And to charge £100 for a piece of hose is absolutely sickening, it really is disgusting!
Great cars to look at and drive (sometimes on a good day). That's it.

Last edited by brownie21; 8th March 2010 at 19:27..
brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 19:09   #15
alan deacon
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Rover P5 Rover P6

Default don't forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
Just for once, just once, I would like to post something positive on this site totally unrelated to the tech stuff. It seems that most of us are just posting up problems and trying to help each other out. It should not be this way; it is nonsense. I have never in 25 years driving had so much bad luck with a car. Is it just me being unlucky? I had never even heard of Rover 75's before I bought it, I just saw it on autotrader and liked the look even though just grey haired men seemed to drive them. It seems 'the look' is all my car has ever had going for it - and even that has been spoilt by some maniac with a nail and 2 idiots who can't drive. Head gasket, split hoses, oil leaks, heater blocked, brake pipes corroding, bulbs constantly blowing, airbag warning light, you name it, just waiting for the clutch to go now. It is a money-pit, it has ruined me financially - spent around £1600 on it in 2 years and it's not even worth that to sell anymore. I wish I had never laid eyes on it. You should not in these modern times have to lift your bonnet every morning to check water etc, it is ridiculous. I had 2 mondeo's previous to this and the only time I checked oil and water was before a monstrously long holiday drive. It is like going back 30 years and looking after an old banger!
And to charge £100 for a piece of hose is absolutely sickening, it really is disgusting!
Don't forget cooling fan motor both vis motors and auto box piston problems problems
Old 8th March 2010, 19:23   #16
brownie21
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8T Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan deacon View Post
Don't forget cooling fan motor both vis motors and auto box piston problems problems
Ha ha, cooling fan probably next, luckily it isn't an auto and what are vis motors? No doubt I'll find out when mine fail.
Oh and forgot to mention the coil packs, brake pads, 4 new tyres and a battery.
I have bought my car twice now I think.

brownie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 07:49   #17
jcwatrichmond
Loves to post

Rover 75 1.8T 2003 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie21 View Post
Just for once, just once, I would like to post something positive on this site totally unrelated to the tech stuff. It seems that most of us are just posting up problems and trying to help each other out. It should not be this way; it is nonsense. I have never in 25 years driving had so much bad luck with a car. Is it just me being unlucky? I had never even heard of Rover 75's before I bought it, I just saw it on autotrader and liked the look even though just grey haired men seemed to drive them. It seems 'the look' is all my car has ever had going for it - and even that has been spoilt by some maniac with a nail and 2 idiots who can't drive. Head gasket, split hoses, oil leaks, heater blocked, brake pipes corroding, bulbs constantly blowing, airbag warning light, you name it, just waiting for the clutch to go now. It is a money-pit, it has ruined me financially - spent around £1600 on it in 2 years and it's not even worth that to sell anymore. I wish I had never laid eyes on it. You should not in these modern times have to lift your bonnet every morning to check water etc, it is ridiculous. Even the bonnet cables fail from over-use! I had 2 mondeo's previous to this and the only time I checked oil and water was before a monstrously long holiday drive. It is like going back 30 years and looking after an old banger!
Cheer up, your glass is really half full not half empty. You've been reading all the technical disasters and becoming neurotic. It's not just the Rover 75, you can look at any forum for any make of car on the internet and you see the same sort of requests for help. If there are tens or hundreds of thousands of cars of the same model, there will always be some breaking down with some problem or another.
As modern cars have become more reliable in some respects they have become more complex with more things to go wrong. Also, all the Rover 75s are now getting a little old in the tooth. Just think, if you had a five year old Range Rover, or a big BMW or Mercedes, it could be costing you a small fortune if they went wrong, and they do.

JCW
jcwatrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:01   #18
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Agree with JCW

75 ZT's are relatively cheap to keep on the Road.

Just you settle your mind a bit, a Friend of mine's 4 year old Saab 900 broke down in.
His bill was £3500 just to replace a High pressure fuel pump & ECU !!

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:34   #19
stonesfan
Loves to post

Lexus GS

Sounds like you've had some bad luck really. Agree you shouldnt have to keep checking under the bonnet for leaks etc. If you want relatively hassle free motoring then get the diesel version.
stonesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 08:41   #20
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Owning a Rover is not for the unthinking! Not that I say you are not, but, yes, you should not have to check water every day. Unfortunately, with these cars, you DO have to.
It is a sign of the times I think. Build it and throw it away. And it is such a shame, and one of the reasons British industry is what it is (or rather isn't) today.
When you look at what you pay for a Rover today, it is a crying shame, and an insult to everything decent, that you should throw away a car which is 95% good. For all the earth warming concerned, here is something to really get concerned about. Building these uncanny numbers of new cars, only to cast them away 5 to 10 years later.
What does it help that the cars uses a bit less petrol and pollute a bit less for every km driven, when they have to be re-cycled every decade.
I would be surprised if the most earth friendly car (if such a thing exists) is not my old Rover P4 and P5.
As a species, we have a lot to atone for, incredible arrogance and stupidity not being excluded.
Well, enough ranting.
Stick with it, you might well be better of with the devil you know!!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote