Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th June 2011, 18:48   #11
Samuelle
Regular poster

MG ZT CDTI 135+

Turns out both discs are faulty, which is a right pitfa (return postage will be about the same as the initial cost). One looks, on closer inspection, like it is half finished. About a third of the disc still just has the courser cut pattern, so it looks like it never even got touched with the finishing bit? tool? (whatever it is) on the lathe. The second one is also out, but not as badly. One could just be an accident - they happen, but both makes you think Mintex must have at least one right muppet turning out these things.
Samuelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 22:04   #12
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuelle View Post
Turns out both discs are faulty, which is a right pitfa (return postage will be about the same as the initial cost). One looks, on closer inspection, like it is half finished. About a third of the disc still just has the courser cut pattern, so it looks like it never even got touched with the finishing bit? tool? (whatever it is) on the lathe. The second one is also out, but not as badly. One could just be an accident - they happen, but both makes you think Mintex must have at least one right muppet turning out these things.
Have fitted Mintex to mine for as long as I can remember and never had a faulty product. I would be questioning the supplier rather than the manufacturer. Is no way if they are as you describe that they passed Quality Assurance.

I believe if the items are faulty that you should be able to claim back your postage from the seller?? I would at least be asking them for it.

I got mine from a different supplier to you and mine were perfect and properly packaged in a Mintex Brake Box containing the discs and pads in a separate box within that one.

How were yours packaged?

Here is the link to the ones I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/190540918431 these are the ones for every 75 except the 2.5 or V8

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 22:12   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissifer1972 View Post
Have fitted Mintex to mine for as long as I can remember and never had a faulty product. I would be questioning the supplier rather than the manufacturer. Is no way if they are as you describe that they passed Quality Assurance.

I believe if the items are faulty that you should be able to claim back your postage from the seller?? I would at least be asking them for it.

I got mine from a different supplier to you and mine were perfect and properly packaged in a Mintex Brake Box containing the discs and pads in a separate box within that one.

How were yours packaged?

Here is the link to the ones I bought http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/190540918431 these are the ones for every 75 except the 2.5 or V8

Chris
You thinking what I'm thinking, mintex pads, & wing fung hong discs, with a title that includes the words mintex in the fleabay description for a bit of classic misdirection?.
Enjoying your new found get up & go then ?
Brian.
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 23:21   #14
kissifer1972
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Conn Tourer & Rover 75 CDT Conn SE Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
You thinking what I'm thinking, mintex pads, & wing fung hong discs, with a title that includes the words mintex in the fleabay description for a bit of classic misdirection?.
Enjoying your new found get up & go then ?
Brian.
That's exactly what I'm thinking.

And yes the new get and go is lovelly..

Chris
Genuine Rover Xenons - now removed and sold
Kenlowe fan
Synergy 2
EGR Bypass
kissifer1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 00:42   #15
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Hello Again Forum

I fitted new front discs/pads last night, and everything seemed to go smoothly for a change - no seized threads, missing tools etc. This all felt too good to be true. I gave it a drive this morning, and there is bad pulsing through the brake pedal. You can feel the peddle going up and down with each rotation of the wheel. It's bucketing it down with rain here atm, so I haven't looked for any obvious warping, but I just wanted to check in here first that there isn't some nube mistake I could have made.

I didn't go the (what looked like) overcomplicated Haynes manual route of fully dismantling the calliper to fit the pads, I just put the new pads in the still assembled calliper while it was off the disc, and pushed the excess fluid back up through the system rather than out the calliper bleed nipple. I cleaned up the surface of the stub axle where the disc is mounted. The parts are a cheap mintex set from Pro-Parts Peterborough on Ebay. So.. duff disc? or

((( could I have done something stupid here?))))

yes you have not tightened the bolts tight enough ,re check the bolts mke sure they are not loose ... you did it right ,thats the way to to fit the pads,i put a few rags around the fluid pot to soak up the fluid that is pushed out of the pot when you push back the piston.. doing it this way ensures no air enters the system... also make sure you have fitted the wheels correctly .press the wheel again the hub and tighten whie pressing wheel back this will make ure the wheel is flush . then fully tighten when car is back on the road ..
Old 26th June 2011, 08:22   #16
ZedTeeTee
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
((( could I have done something stupid here?))))

yes you have not tightened the bolts tight enough ,re check the bolts mke sure they are not loose ... you did it right ,thats the way to to fit the pads,i put a few rags around the fluid pot to soak up the fluid that is pushed out of the pot when you push back the piston.. doing it this way ensures no air enters the system... also make sure you have fitted the wheels correctly .press the wheel again the hub and tighten whie pressing wheel back this will make ure the wheel is flush . then fully tighten when car is back on the road ..
No Chrissyboy - you missed this:

Quote:

Looks to be shoddy discs........as confirmed by the OP.
ZedTeeTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 08:33   #17
chrissyboy
This is my second home

lovely little ford focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mofo View Post
No Chrissyboy - you missed this:

Looks to be shoddy discs........as confirmed by the OP.
my bad .got in late last night ,i must read all the thread first in future.. didnt the op check the parts before stripping the car down for the work .proberly a batch of no good ones meant for the scrappy the seller has got hold of .

Last edited by chrissyboy; 26th June 2011 at 08:36..
chrissyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 09:02   #18
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissyboy View Post
my bad .got in late last night ,i must read all the thread first in future.. didnt the op check the parts before stripping the car down for the work .proberly a batch of no good ones meant for the scrappy the seller has got hold of .
Chris to be fair to the OP even if the discs did look OK it's not easy to spot if they are slightly warped until you have fitted them.

Haven't seen any mention of a clock gauge or DTI so far. It's good practise to check for runout when changing discs.

Which reminds me I'm doing my front discs next week.

Mike
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 09:19   #19
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I also bought some Mintex a while ago, but have yet to fit. I was wary about the wording and did go for "Mintex discs & pads" in the wording. Opened the brown packaging to Mintex boxes and paper work.

Did your boxes say mintex ? Just that we allknow for the future.

thanks.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 21:23   #20
keithybhoy
Banned

MG ZT-T190

is the mintex stuff good then as i always fit ebc greenstuff pads and ebc turbogrove vented discs to my cars which are pricey but really,really good.
I need to replace the front and rears on the ZT and the mintex gear is a lot cheaper
keithybhoy is offline   Reply With Quote