Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd June 2014, 22:26   #191
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Okay Guys, fair enough.
I was rather pleased to enable the digital speed readout in my car.
As, I then had three different instruments giving three different readings , I was just intrigued about which one was closest to the truth.

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2014, 08:09   #192
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Update

I have now had the message centre digital speed display activated in my car and had an opportunity yesterday to compare readings over a 300 mile trip.

Up until now I had believed that my analogue speedometer over-read by 10% based on a comparison with a 'Road Angel' device. I now find that, at 70 mph, my speedometer's error is more like 5% when compared with the car's digital display. But more surprising was that, at slow speeds such as 15 and 20 mph, it appeared to agree with the message centre figures exactly.

These are initial impressions so I will continue to monitor it as carefully as I can, but it seems that the error on my speedometer dial is not linear as I first thought.

Simon
Old 19th June 2014, 08:55   #193
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I have now had the message centre digital speed display activated in my car and had an opportunity yesterday to compare readings over a 300 mile trip.

Up until now I had believed that my analogue speedometer over-read by 10% based on a comparison with a 'Road Angel' device. I now find that, at 70 mph, my speedometer's error is more like 5% when compared with the car's digital display. But more surprising was that, at slow speeds such as 15 and 20 mph, it appeared to agree with the message centre figures exactly.

These are initial impressions so I will continue to monitor it as carefully as I can, but it seems that the error on my speedometer dial is not linear as I first thought.

Simon
As 5% of 15-20 MPH is 0.75 - 1 MPH and taking the parallax phenomonon into account as well you would be doing pretty good to spot the offset accurately.

if 70 or above is 5% (i.e. 70 = 73.5 80=84) then i would accept this as ok.
Don't forget as the speed gets lower the offset gets smaller when dealing with percentages.
Old 30th June 2014, 11:15   #194
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post

Simon
With the help of a photographic assistant, these are the speeds recorded, on my car, at 20,30,40,50,60 and 70mph on the digital readout:

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 11:22   #195
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Well, that looks close to 10% over read on the analogue speedo.

It would be nice to know what the actual speed would be at the same time.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 19:39   #196
Union Wheels
Loves to post

Honda Accord Tourer i dtec

Hi All,
I have just had the digital MPH enabled on my retro-fitted message centre curtsey of Big Russ, and the speed, compared with the speedo, is about the same as Dorset Bobs.

I was just wondering if anybody had investigated the possibility of have the engine temperature showing in the message centre like the digital MPH does.

I realize that it may require changes to a string of data with the BMW interface as the digital MPH did, and may be a lot of trial and error to get there, but it would save having to go through 1 to 19 and then to 7 with the trip button if it could be done.

Cheers, Pete.

How to Retrofit Diesel Cruise Control + Loom
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...87&postcount=1

How to Modify a 3 Speed Fan for CDT & V6 into a 2 Speed with a Resistor.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=209920

CDT now gone to new owner, but still on forum
Union Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2014, 20:13   #197
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorset Bob View Post
With the help of a photographic assistant, these are the speeds recorded, on my car, at 20,30,40,50,60 and 70mph on the digital readout:

It's interesting when you look closely that the reading appears very close to 10% over on the needle from 20 mph to 50 mph. But look closely at 60 and its definitely not as much as 10% and it's even less when you look at 70 it only appears to read around 74mph on the needle not 77 as you might expect. So obviously the overread % isn't constant.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2014, 06:35   #198
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

As I said originally it is normally about 5 to 7 % over read at normal road speeds. compared to true measured speed.

I know that because I use it to set my cruise control to the fastest safe speed in order not to get tickets, so I can do an indicated 138 km/h and just be on the safe side in a 120 zone.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote