Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th April 2013, 13:49   #21
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

Thanks for the diagram. Gear change is fine when the engine is off, goes in straight with no "notchyness" for want of an actual word I have now topped up the gearbox fluid incase we didn't put enough back in when doing the clutch change and bled the system again. The gears are now going in, which it did when we changed the clutch and slave but now the pedal is heavy again and the biting point is still again about 20mm max off the floor meaning the slightess movement engages the clutch. I would assume there is still air in the system but surely the pedal would be lighter not heavier or am I missing something?
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 13:57   #22
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
HELP PLEASE! The new master is in and it's still not going in gear properly. The pedal is now very stiff again and it seems like the clutch isn't disengaging properly (ie bite point too low for pedal). Any ideas please as I can't keep throwing money at this car, it's already cost me over £450 I really don't have and the problem is worse as i now can't even drive it. I've got a feeling i'm gonna end up trying to take the box out again Should I try bleeding it again? (i was under the impression the new master came pre-filled)
Yes, you should try and bleed it.
You should first try and pump the pedal slowly, say 5 to 10 times. Slow methodical full pedal depressions. That should result in a higher biting point, if there is air in the system. If the point moves up (that you can actually de-clutch properly) then you know you have air in the system.

If so, bleed. I don't know if you know to do that properly. So a method that works fine would be:
1. Depress/release the pedal slowly and evenly 5 times
2. Depress and hold
3. release bleed nipple,
4 observe what comes out
a. if pssst and bubbles, still air, close bleed nipple, release pedal, repeat all from 1 above.
b. if solid stream and no air, close, replenish reservoir and clean with water any paintwork driveway etc.

That should sort your system out, best to have a helper.
If the reservoir does not suck fluid in, the supply to the master might be blocked, or the piston does not retract enough to allow fresh fluid into the cylinder.

Last edited by kaiser; 7th April 2013 at 14:01..
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 14:56   #23
Anthony & Maricel
This is my second home

Rover 75 Connoisseur 1.8L pre production S573 AOX Vin 001493 Feb 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasa View Post
i thought dot 4 was the required lube
No it is DOT 3, it will say use DOT 3 on the cap of the master.
Anthony & Maricel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 16:11   #24
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

you may have an air lock you would be better pressure bleeding it go and buy a gunstons easy bleed i use it all the time works well p/s did you fit the correct clutch i have come across some boxed wrong and when fitted get a very low biting point where did you get the clutch and what make were they also what make of slave is it

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2013, 16:22   #25
andy willi
I really should get out more.......

PRE LAUNCH 75/ZT 190/XJ 550

you may have an air lock you would be better pressure bleeding it go and buy a gunstons easy bleed i use it all the time works well p/s did you fit the correct clutch i have come across some boxed wrong and when fitted get a very low biting point where did you get the clutch and what make were they also what make of slave is it

andy
andy willi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 08:54   #26
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

thanks for the input andy. I thought an air lock would cause the pedal to be softer not harder?
The clutch looked different to the old one in that the centre plate was thicker because it had springs in rather than the flat plate without on the old one. The main friction plate was in the same position relative to the centre sprocket so we thought it was correct. I got the 2 piece LUK kit from buypartsby (saf) as they didn't have the 3 piece with slave.
The slave unit was the freelander td4 one with metal pipes recommended on the forum from island4x4, i believe this was an LUK one but was in a bag not a box so I can't remember if it was stickered as such.
The new master was also LUK from carparts4less
When bleeding should I be pushing the pedal down and holding then doing the nipple up then pulling the pedal back manually?
Is this the system you would recommend?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4062...nson+eezibleed

Last edited by bubs; 8th April 2013 at 09:04..
Old 8th April 2013, 09:11   #27
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

The way I have always bled brakes and clutches is by getting a willing volunteer to push the clutch pedal up & down not fast but smoothly, until the pedal gets hard, then slacken the bleed nipple (with a one way bleed tube into a jar) as the nipple is slackened the pedal moves towards the floor hopefully expelling air laden fluid from the pipework. As the pedal reaches the floor tighten the nipple.
Repeat the process until clean air free fluid flows into the jar.
Obviously the master cylinder needs to be kept topped up or you'll be wasting your time.
I have this to do on mine soon as gear selection especially stationary into 1st won't happen unless I pump the pedal or switch ignition off then select it.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 09:39   #28
bubs
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75

that's how i have done it, but i assume the waiting to top up the master allows air to travel back into the system?
Old 8th April 2013, 10:06   #29
Billy1mate
Posted a thing or two

120d M Sport

Probably, the master cylinder doesn't hold much fluid. Some members have fashioned fitted a reservoir under the bonnet that feeds the clutch master making it easier to top up & keep an eye on.
Billy1mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2013, 10:09   #30
DMGRS
Discount MG Rover Spares

Rover 75 CDTi, 2x MG ZS180

Thanked 3,377 Times in 2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
The slave unit was the freelander td4 one with metal pipes recommended on the forum from island4x4, i believe this was an LUK one but was in a bag not a box so I can't remember if it was stickered as such.
The new master was also LUK from carparts4less
When bleeding should I be pushing the pedal down and holding then doing the nipple up then pulling the pedal back manually?
Is this the system you would recommend?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gunson-G4062...nson+eezibleed
Important - how much was the slave you fitted? There's a cheap Britpart one, and a genuine AP. The Britpart item failed after 25 miles when a friend fitted one.

The good AP unit is about £54 inc VAT. If you paid less, you have the cheap one and it's probably failed.
DMGRS is offline   Reply With Quote