Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st August 2018, 18:20   #21
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
But mine is an auto also. As I was told prior to doing it 'trust me, it's there' Lol

Try using your socket instead of fingers. That may be easier, as when I found it and slipped the socket below the pipework, I believe it located straight away. Totally blind.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

What size socket and deep or normal thanks Clf

Last edited by crazy frog; 21st August 2018 at 18:22..
crazy frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2018, 22:58   #22
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

HI Paul.
I received your photo early today, I have now processed them, sorry for being so late but I have not long got back from Wales after visiting my daughter and grandchildren.

photo 1 of your starter in same position as a manual car

Photo 2 note the rubber conduit which carries some of the engines loom wiring, passing under the metal coolant pipe.

Photo 3 take good notice of the EGR solenoid and its hoses I have marked the hose which comes from it to your vacuum one way valve with 4 RED dots I did this as that hose looks suspect so when you have removed the EGR and the first part of the intercooler hose this need to be tracked back and replaced in my opinion.

Photo 4 is of the EGR

Photo 5 of the EGR retaining bolts 6mm Allen key x 4 if I remember right.

Photo 6 close up of the special clamp which connects EGR to cooling pipe and exhaust pipe.

photo 7 is a much clear shot you took of the rubber conduit that needs to be pulled to one side to expose the 13mm bolts that is eluding you I have marked it with 2 yellow dots

photo 8 is of the EGR and the intercooler hose clips you need to remove so you and more access to reveal that 13mm elusive bolt remove the small section of intercooler hose along with the turbo boost sensor, after uncoupling the boost sensor plug, therefore everything with a green dot undo and or remove.

photo 9 once again close up of the conduit that can be pulled to the left or lifted so you can gain access to the top starter motor bolt, hope these help cheers Arctic.

PS I took the liberty of adding your Crfrog signature to your photo

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2018, 06:08   #23
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

The last starter motor change on an automatic diesel I did I couldn't see the bolt at all, so slid a 3/8 drive socket with a short extension ratchet onto it by feel.

Undid it leaving everything in place and then aligned it to the new starter motor and tightened the bolt again.

Definitely an easier job on a manual car than an auto
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:54   #24
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
But mine is an auto also. As I was told prior to doing it 'trust me, it's there' Lol

Try using your socket instead of fingers. That may be easier, as when I found it and slipped the socket below the pipework, I believe it located straight away. Totally blind.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk
Hi clf,
are you kidding me she would kick me out of bed and black bin bag me.
Old 23rd August 2018, 20:01   #25
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

At last,
thankyou everyone I have finally found the little G I T. hiding behind itself. I will give more info and photos later. And get around to the Job on sunday.
Thanks Paul (crazy frog)
Old 23rd August 2018, 21:55   #26
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Hi Doctors, Ive found the bolt.
Today I had an unscheduled hour to kill whilst waiting in a retail park, so I decided to have another look for the elusive top bolt.
Anyway having got oil on my jacket and shirt cuff. I was ready to kick the nearest idiot , which was myself ,Fuming and now ready to rip the B loody engine out I rolled up my sleeves and got a couple of long screwdrivers + a 1/2 inch foot long Socket extension bar and a telescopic bendy torch.
After a while I found the hidden disguised bolt . I could see the similarities with the manual gearbox top bolt earth strap, in Arctics great guide. Except my Auto strap is much cleaner/and neater almost looking like a high pressure hydraulic pipe especially as the L shaped cable connector is turned through 90 degrees. Therefore completely hiding the bolt behind it from view.
So I'm going to get my Box Brownie out this weekend and take some photos, leaving my telegraph machine in my top pocket.
Thanks again. Paul (crazy frog)
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:17   #27
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Hi Paul.
Everything come to those that wait, but in your case it would have been better maybe not to wait at least you now have the bolt in sight so to speak I/we will look forward to your photo's I ma sure they will help other members with an Auto good luck.

ad altiora tendo.

Old 26th August 2018, 01:05   #28
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

Hi Doctors,
well the prescription worked.
She's firing up multiple times on the trot. I'm now walking with a swagger. If this keeps up I`ll have to dig out my cowboy boots, because I am already walking like one.
5 times last night.
I have some photos and tips, trying to arrange getting them posted.
Paul
Old 26th August 2018, 01:39   #29
crazy frog
Avid contributor

MG ZTT Cdti 135 + Auto

HI Doctors,
I tried again to upload just one image. I have got 20.

The response I got was "Uploaded file is not an image" I am disappointed with this, in fact I started another thread about this issue and other responses, however lets not discuss it in this thread.
I just wanted to let you know I've tried yet again.

Paul
Old 26th August 2018, 09:34   #30
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy frog View Post
HI Doctors,
I tried again to upload just one image. I have got 20.

The response I got was "Uploaded file is not an image" I am disappointed with this, in fact I started another thread about this issue and other responses, however lets not discuss it in this thread.
I just wanted to let you know I've tried yet again.

Paul
Hi Paul.
I think the best way for you to try and post your photo's will be using https://imgur.com/ upload them to it and make your self an Album for each section of photo's you take, once you have up loaded them it is very easy to add them to here.

Below is image 10 I received from you, I note you did note remove the EGR to give you that little extra room.

Image 11 shows just how tight it seems to be on an Auto to get to the 13mm bolt holding the earth strap

Image 12 showing how the socket as to pass through the jungle of pipes and wiring

Image 13/14 again showing the socket passing through

Imgaes 15/16/17 showing how you have manage with a struggle I should imagine to undo the elusive 13mm bolt.

Image 18 showing the tools you used for the job

Image 19 showing the earth strap with the bolt attached

Image 20 area where the starter motor as been removed from, with the top left hole where the bolt would pass through to attach to the starter.

Image 21 showing your starter off the car

Image 22 showing the contacts and how it as worn down compared to the new one next to it.

All our cars will need to have this done sooner or later, personally I would do it before it gets to the point that the car will not start, winter is heading towards us and any cars out there with weak contacts will have this trouble.

Paul join https://imgur.com/ and we will talk you through how it works once you know it will be easy for you cheers Arctic

ad altiora tendo.