Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2011, 21:13   #21
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
What they should have done was to immediately face out all the old models, ie 25s,45s etc, keep only the 75 and MG version, developed and modernised both models further, offered a wider range of spec colours, trim,reduced the prices of each unit to sell more, get rid of half of all their dealers, and advertise, advertise, advertise they then should have negotiated with the unions for redundancies, and ask the government for financial aid, then tried to negotiate more from a position of strength so that any potential partner will show some interest.
In answer to Mario's comment. There was a 45 replacement ready and the 25 replacement was on the way.There was a coupe version of the MGF as well with bigger engine options. As far as colours, customers could have any colour they wanted they just had to have a sample and we'd copy it for them. Unions had already sorted out redundancies in a fashion. Anyone 55 or over could apply and also get retirement from 50. The so called management did ask for aid from the government but cocked it up by sh----- on Honda. Honda went on to get one instead and look where they are now.
Old 8th May 2011, 21:21   #22
bl52krz
This is my second home

Rover 75 cdt club + Rover 2.5 KV6 Conni SE

Thanked 2,262 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Typical British Industry mentality I'm afraid, lets blame the management, I mean no-one else was involved in engineering the cars were they?

Ive seen it so many times in the past, and coming from a now almost defunct heavy industry where we all blamed the management again. The various unions present in the shipyard were so inflexible in work practices it was cringeworthy to me as a mere apprentice at the time.

I'm afraid to say our American, Continental and Oriental cousins can show us how to run a business with all levels of employee involved in the decision making process. While we in Britain went all our own separate ways with different agendas.
Sorry, but it was management that ran up the massive debts that put the nail in the coffin. The question that should be asked is, "why were they still trading with that amout of debt, and if they knew about it". If they did know about it, then they have broken various laws that a company have to adhere to.
I know someone, (i use that description for a reason), that when Towers and the rest took over from B**, when i said that it was a good day for Rover, i was told that Rover would be gone in five years. True or what? How did this person know?
Old 8th May 2011, 21:26   #23
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by e668ecp View Post
Actually the £42m pension fund was shared out between the top levels of management not just the P4. The Unions/workers in the 1970's and early 1980's ruined the company and it was a downward spiral not helped by the companies owners (BAe and BMW). By the time PVH "saved" the company it was too little too late.

BAe and BMW killed the successful relationship with Honda.

Gordon Brown and one of his advisors sealed the coffin of MG Rover and I blame him for their ultimate demise. The amount wasted by the Labour government on pinning blame could have helped secure a deal with SAIC
All down to management, sorry but true.Read the facts, dont use assumptions.
Old 8th May 2011, 21:39   #24
bl52krz
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivas View Post
I am afraid all four got it wrong, 6000 peaple lost their jobs, we now have no British car industry, all the associated small business have gone to the wall.
It is typical of many businesses, the management have no idea about the people who work for them, treat them like dogs, don,t listen, pay badly, live in ivory towers, all this alienates the work force and you have a business which eventually dies, British industry is littered with examples, that's why we have practically no manufacturing industry, I think it is 10-12% of GDP, in Germany it is 65%, so how can you compete, just a minute, just a minute I know lets all become bankers, and lets base the country,s wealth on financial services, so when thigs go wrong, which of course they will, the country has to impose such severe financial constraints that we all have to leave like paupers for the nest 10 years.

What they should have done was to immediately face out all the old models, ie 25s,45s etc, keep only the 75 and MG version, developed and modernised both models further, offered a wider range of spec colours, trim,reduced the prices of each unit to sell more, get rid of half of all their dealers, and advertise, advertise, advertise they then should have negotiated with the unions for redundancies, and ask the government for financial aid, then tried to negotiate more from a position of strength so that any potential partner will show some interest.
Thank "milk snatcher thatcher" for getting rid of the mines, (we have to buy 95% of our coal from abroad) thank her for the high water bills you have to pay (most of the water companies are owned by "foreigners) thank her for high gas bills (foreign owned) electric , the same. The banks were her favorite to save us all from devastation, what a blinking laugh.
These are the same people that are running big business. You are having a laugh, are you not?
Old 8th May 2011, 21:48   #25
Godders 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 diesel auto Tourer odessey blue

Even when some of our mines were profitable they still closed them, and remember when Arthur Scargill said he had a list of pit closures Thatcher denied it and 18 months later they were nearly all gone, and lets not forget that nationalisation saved the banking system and us with it.
Old 8th May 2011, 22:01   #26
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Bunch of b******s,typical of "fat cats",line their own pockets ,and screw the workforce that keep the wheels turning!
Old 9th May 2011, 10:58   #27
Rev Jules
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer+

Thanked 3,929 Times in 2,051 Posts
Angry thieves

They should have been stripped of everything they own, they are a bunch off thieving scum this ruling has not punished them one bit, the likes of you and I were to try this scam our feet would not touch the ground.

One angry person!!!!
Rev Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:04   #28
e668ecp
I really should get out more.......

Range Rover Evoque and ZT V8 SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Thank "milk snatcher thatcher" for getting rid of the mines, (we have to buy 95% of our coal from abroad) thank her for the high water bills you have to pay (most of the water companies are owned by "foreigners) thank her for high gas bills (foreign owned) electric , the same. The banks were her favorite to save us all from devastation, what a blinking laugh.
These are the same people that are running big business. You are having a laugh, are you not?
What the hell has this to do with Thatcher?

Brown and his cronies ruined MG Rover. They even stopped MG Rover's cars from being on Government purchase lists up until around 2004.

Actually the biggest of our Utility companies are UK owned. SSE, Centrica, Scottish Power etc. Labour ruined the banks.. hence why we are in the mess that the Tory-led government are having to sort out
e668ecp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2011, 11:05   #29
e668ecp

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Bunch of b******s,typical of "fat cats",line their own pockets ,and screw the workforce that keep the wheels turning!
At least they keep the wheels turning for 5.5years... without them the company would have closed and we wouldn't have SAIC-MG now!
Old 9th May 2011, 11:06   #30
e668ecp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godders 75 View Post
Even when some of our mines were profitable they still closed them, and remember when Arthur Scargill said he had a list of pit closures Thatcher denied it and 18 months later they were nearly all gone, and lets not forget that nationalisation saved the banking system and us with it.
Actually the unprofitable deep mines closed after Thatcher had left office