Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2014, 18:24   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pletevl View Post
What worries me is that there is no flow of coolant near this thermostat, the only way the thermostat is going to open is when the water near it reaches 88 degrees by heat dissipation, for that water to reach 88 degrees surely the engine must get really hot ?
Mine works. And those top hose attaches to the engine. The thermostat once installed is about 6inches from engine block.

The water comes from engine block through top hose, when stat is open, ie temp has been reached, it flows to the stat which will now open, then to top of the radiator, to flow to the bottom to be cooled, as normal.

Mine before It was fitted, reached72 degrees at best, now will reach 86 :-)

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:29   #22
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

Didn't know it was that close to the engine
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:12   #23
Mr (Z) T
Avid contributor

MG ZT 1.8T & CDTI 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelad View Post
No need to grind anything off; that's why you need silicon grease and a short length of household waste pipe - so you can tap it home without hitting the bulb.

The hose reduces in diameter further down, so you don't really need the second clip
+1 this is exactly what I did

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Mine works. And those top hose attaches to the engine. The thermostat once installed is about 6inches from engine block.

Mine before It was fitted, reached72 degrees at best, now will reach 86 :-)
Mine is about 3-4 inches from the block and runs at 88c consistently via OBD, before it wasn't even reaching 60c!
Mr (Z) T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 22:25   #24
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr (Z) T View Post
+1 this is exactly what I did

Mine is about 3-4 inches from the block and runs at 88c consistently via OBD, before it wasn't even reaching 60c!
Well when I say six inches, it is more likely half that, mine stopped moving when the bulb went just beyond the end of the hose. I do wonder, if I was able to move it slightly closer to the radiator, would the temp rise to the magic 88?

I do have a question or two about this, has anyone had one fail after a period of service? How difficult was it to remove? (Although I would imagine by that stage, the hose should be replaced anyway). Also would i be correct in thinking, if it were to fail closed, the car would overheat, and therefore be easy to spot? (well the diesels, rarely overheat, if ever!)

Last edited by clf; 23rd May 2014 at 01:44..
Old 23rd May 2014, 06:32   #25
pletevl
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 cdti(rhd), MG ZR(lhd), MG TF(lhd), MG TF(rhd), mini mpi (lhd), Renault megane III (awful)

OK, so I will be doing this, what difference will I notice after ?
my car sits around 76 degrees at the moment
pletevl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 08:56   #26
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Temperatures

Quote:
You should see temperatures between 83C and 88C depending entirely on how hard the engine is working i.e. you will never see 88C unless slogging hard up a hill etc. When you drive off load down the other side of the hill it could drop to 82-83C. You could fit a higher rated thermostat than 88C but the diesel engine will rarely get hot enough to open it for a very short while.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:03   #27
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Quote:
Well when I say six inches, it is more likely half that, mine stopped moving when the bulb went just beyond the end of the hose. I do wonder, if I was able to move it slightly closer to the radiator, would the temp rise to the magic 88?

I do have a question or two about this, has anyone had one fail after a period of service? How difficult was it to remove? (Although I would imagine by that stage, the hose should be replaced anyway). Also would i be correct in thinking, if it were to fail closed, the car would overheat, and therefore be easy to spot? (well the diesels, rarely overheat, if ever!)
First question: NO the new stat is immersed in water at all times.
Second question: If the additional thermostat failed in the closed position (never seen a report of this so far, the modern wax type do not fail shut as a rule) the engine would eventually boil. The stat would be easy to extract from the pipe and there should be no problem with fitting a new one. A new hose comes with the plastic fittings complete so you would have to cut the clamp off again.
It is worth noting that our diesels, with 50/50 anti freeze mix and under 15lbs pressure will not boil until 135.6C.

Last edited by wuzerk; 23rd May 2014 at 09:06..
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014, 09:14   #28
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
First question: NO the new stat is immersed in water at all times.
Second question: If the additional thermostat failed in the closed position (never seen a report of this so far, the modern wax type do not fail shut as a rule) the engine would eventually boil. The stat would be easy to extract from the pipe and there should be no problem with fitting a new one. A new hose comes with the plastic fittings complete so you would have to cut the clamp off again.
It is worth noting that our diesels, with 50/50 anti freeze mix and under 15lbs pressure will not boil until 135.6C.
Thanks for that. I knew it was a relatively recent mod, and had never heard of failures except from new. It was more of curiosity. Mine seems to sit around 86, which I am delighted with, but the magic number seemed to be 88. Figured that the extra water a few inches away would have allowed it to warm more before opening, since there is a small additional amount of coolant to heat. Therefore the coolant near the temp sensor would have slightly more time of heating up before the stat opened.

Old 23rd May 2014, 09:16   #29
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Quote:
Are well as seeing the temp rise as said, you should see an improvement in mpg. In my case 10mpg improvement over my normal daily commute.

Old 23rd May 2014, 09:34   #30
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Are well as seeing the temp rise as said, you should see an improvement in mpg. In my case 10mpg improvement over my normal daily commute.
The inside of the car will be a lot warmer, at lot quicker as well. Toasty even!
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote