Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th December 2010, 22:01   #21
Newport75
Regular poster

2002 Rover 75 1.8T Club SE

Not meaning to sound lazy but any chance you could point me in the right direction please? . I'm not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest. Sorry to be a pain but I'm new to all this.
Newport75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 00:40   #22
Garaidh
Regular poster

'99 Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE HL auto

Hi there

Sorry to hear of your troubles... but at least you'll get the worst over with in one go! I had a 1.8 in a 45 for years and it went but when properly fixed was no problem afterwards.

It did affect the heating, though, it wouldn't work at all probably due to the lack of water in the system.

I've a 2.5 V6 now and they aren't affected so much so maybe if you get the 75 bug you might change up in the future... yes a bit thirstier but think if the amount of car and quality and value for money

Good luck!

:xmas-smiley-021:
Old 26th December 2010, 01:56   #23
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

MLS gasket is only required if the head needs skimming plus a shim to lower the comp.
If the head is fine then the standard one from MGR is suficient, even the existing bolts are reusable. Its all down to cleanliness and acurate, methodical assembly.
Isnt that right Lates??:weihnacht2:

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 06:49   #24
Robson Rover Repair
NI/ROI RS

ZT-T 190 / 75 Diesel x3 / 6 door limo / 216 Cabby / Rover 25 van

Thanked 1,046 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport75 View Post
Not meaning to sound lazy but any chance you could point me in the right direction please? . I'm not really sure what I'm looking for to be honest. Sorry to be a pain but I'm new to all this.
This is the version you want my friend.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROVER-K-SERIES...item2ea958da69

You will see the same kit cheaper, BUT it will be a cheap chinese copy and I bet my back teeth it doesnt come with all the parts above!

BUT dont just refit the engine cover, have a test done to check that its not warped from the first time, that might be why its gone again.

Personally the car sounded like a great bargain, so even with this sorted, you will still end up with a good price well below market price.

maybe a member in your area could recemmend a trustworthy expert to help sort you out.
Robson Rover Repair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 09:27   #25
Newport75
Regular poster

Excellent, thanks for your help and support guys. I spoke to my uncle who said that he doesn't want to do the work as if it goes am onth or so later I'll be back to him saying he hasn't done it correct etc. I think I'll just order the part above and get him to fit it regardless.

RE: getting the engine skimmed etc. This was all done on the last invoice. In fact, I'll get list of everything that was done previously, which is why I'm very shocked it has gone again.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:30   #26
baughurst
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T, MGB, OH's MG ZT-T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
MLS gasket is only required if the head needs skimming plus a shim to lower the comp.
If the head is fine then the standard one from MGR is suficient, even the existing bolts are reusable. Its all down to cleanliness and acurate, methodical assembly.
Isnt that right Lates??:weihnacht2:

The genuine xpart gasket is an MLS gasket. Not renewing the bolts is false economy. All IMO, of course.
Old 26th December 2010, 09:50   #27
Newport75
Regular poster

Work carried out as of 11th November 2010:

As you can see quite a bit was done so its surprising (and irritating) that its gone again!

Last edited by Newport75; 26th December 2010 at 09:57..
Old 26th December 2010, 10:05   #28
rossocorsa
Posted a thing or two

None

my concern would be that if the head has already been skimmed it may well be scrap as the hardened surface is quite thin and if it is no longer true it may not skim again.If it has been skimmed by some one with limited knowledge of K series heads and the hardened mating surface has been breached it could even be the cause of the second failure.
rossocorsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2010, 10:12   #29
Newport75
Regular poster

Yeah I was concerned when I saw it had been skimmed after reading various posts emphasising for it not to be.
Old 26th December 2010, 10:53   #30
baconbuttyman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport75 View Post
Thanks for the advice all. Decided against driving it. My uncle's a mechanic so if I get no luck with the garage I'll get it sorted relatively cheap anyway.

I paid £850 all in at auction. 63k miles and FSH so think I would still be quite a bit up on the forecourt price. So fear not, this will not make me loose my Rover 75 bug.
iyou could take an AA breakdown repair cover out, see if they will sort it, blag them that this trouble happend after you took it out
baconbuttyman is offline   Reply With Quote