Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Social Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 23rd June 2015, 18:38   #21
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

incidentally, all drivers are idiots, like smokers, we literally set fire to our money :| ....... well almost literally

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 18:53   #22
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Perhaps someone can provide stats on age groups in 5 year jumps, accidents. damage/los of life and type of accident.

I wonder where the 60-65, 65-70, 70-75, etc will come.

Whilst I can fully understand the OP lets also consider
this article http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/uk-mother-four-children-critical-after-being-mowed-down-by-car-doing-100mph-1507263

Half the age and more damage

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:39   #23
TR75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE Auto

Idiot drivers come in all different sizes and ages....

Only on the way home tonight, my partner and I came to a sudden stop in the middle of a busy dual carriageway, because an elderly person was undecided as to whether they wanted to leave on the sliproad or not. We then drove down the sliproad at 20mph before he failed to stop at a mini roundabout at the end and was about 30cm from knocking a cyclist off.

Yet on the other hand, we have a young neighbour who thinks it's perfectly acceptable to travel 60mph down residential streets or come to a skidding stop whenever he comes to a junction, complimented by a wheelspin for good measure.

Both are a menace to society and therefore there should be 5 yearly retests for all drivers. Would certainly clear our roads of the 'idiots'.
Old 23rd June 2015, 19:47   #24
vincentfishing
Loves to post

rover 75cdt diesel saloon

Decided to be 'devils advocate' here, The pedestrian controlled zone(zig zag area) controls right of way on zebra crossing,forget your driving instructor,forget your highway code guidance, the roads and highways act is used to enforce regs ,it basically gives the right of way to the car if he enters this zone before anybody steps onto crossing and visa versa, anybody on the crossing before car enters controlled zone has right of way, so if this old man was going so slowly to not injure the child theres a good chance he was in the controlled zone first, no one has the right to step onto the crossing while cars are moving within this zone , even if one car has stopped in opposite direction.
Further to this ,having witnessed a young child being run over and thrown about 10 foot in the air, (i was approaching from other way and saw everything) two things amazed me, (a crowd of people were instantly on scene) the first that some people were abusing the driver for speeding and causing the accident,and others were openly discussing the childs injuries including how bad it was that blood was coming from her ears in full hearing off this distraught child, i was forced to tell them to shut up , and , i also had to tell them i saw the child run out from between 2 cars and the other driver was not speeding and totally faultless, the public have a habit of not seeing whats in front of their noses ,which is why police /courts decide on guilt and innocence,not excited bystanders.
vincentfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:05   #25
thundercat
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Organiser View Post
Richard,

I quite understand the rant about dangerous drivers and what happened to the school girl, but there are a good few more young idiot drivers around as well.

I would be happy to give you a few driving lessons around any racetrack a p****d off 62 year old......................

Tom.
Agreed, I was national Super Vee single seater champion, when I go carting with my sons they struggle to keep up, oh, I am 72 by the way. But I do take the point about some old and not so old drivers, like all other things in life you are eithere good, middle of the road or darn right useless. Driving seems to attract more of the above, after 65 eye test must be compulsory every year, and a driving assessment also, think what a nice little money earner that would be for any government.
thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:18   #26
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

I find most older drivers are just very very slow at driving. Normally always tiny granny cars like a Yaris or some other ugly thing. They usually are not the cause of my frustrations. That honour is down to young female drivers. Had 4 of them yesterday just pull out into a 60mph road causing me to nearly emergency brake and she just waved at me.

At University you pull out of the car park at your own risk, stupid young girls normally drive out at 30mph +. Near had my ZR wiped out by one fixing her make up.

Oh and near every idiot that sits up my butt on the motorway is mostly driving an Audi.

But let me add that not all "old" people are bad drivers. My great Uncle who fought in the war who is now 96 years old was still driving an oil truck for a living in his 80's.
itchyfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:31   #27
Captain Crappycrimp
Gets stuck in

Devil car is dead!

I did not mean to offend the older drivers here, I am 46 myself not so young.

I agree young drivers are reckless and sometimes stupid.

I do not think I am a driving god far from it.

I did not wish to stir up trouble I was upset and angry with this man BTW the crossing was full off children he was simply unaware of his surroundings and didn't stop.

I am sorry if some people took offence that was not my intent.

HOWEVER Mr Windrush I take offence at your comment about ex servicemen who fought in a war. This is a comment often brought up by a certain type of person when they feel they have lost the argument. I am an ex serviceman, I served twice in Northern Ireland the second tour I was blown up and my best friend killed. I also served in the first gulf war. I have plastic kneecaps and 17 pins in my back and ankles So don't you dare lecture me or try and get me to shut up by talking about sacrifice for ones country and respecting ones elders as your post IMO was trying to do. I have always respected my elders and I the sacrifice of those that served their country. I certainly have no respect for you after that cheap comment.

2003 Le mans Green MG ZTT 1.8T, 2003 MG ZT CDTI BRG, ZT 190 Typhoon, 2001 Rover 75 1.8 Tourer , 2002 solar red MG ZTT 177, 2005 Silver MG ZTT CDTI, 2001 Trophy Blue MG ZT (Early No 131) 160, 2004 XPG MG ZT CDTI.
2004 MG ZT Ignition Blue MG Press car/Pheonix 4 personal car. Rover 75 CDT top spec Cowley car. 2003 MG ZT 190+ white Gold.

Couldn't save

MG ZT 1.8T XPG 2005 MG ZTT Goodwood Green(Devil car)

MY PROJECT

2004 MG ZTT Diesel auto in disappointing grey.
Captain Crappycrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:39   #28
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

As an aside here, my 90 year old mum is currently caring for her 60 year old neighbour who has just come out of hospital following knee surgery! She WON'T drive any more because of all the idiots, young and old!
Mike
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:42   #29
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

What a sad thread. The driver of the car in post 1 was in no doubt at fault but his reaction along with the passenger could well be caused by many things, shock, illness, and bad temper. What annoys me most is the fact that the driver wasn't even treated with an ounce of kindness, I understand the girl was hurt and I know the driver was in the wrong but we cannot be judge and jury.

May I remind people that we all grow old and may become an embarrassment to our family.
I'm actually shocked at some of the ageist comments here.
I'd like to see how some would react in some of the situations I've been in on the road!
murphyv310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 20:43   #30
Seafrost
Posted a thing or two

75 Connie SE 1.8 Manual Tourer

To be honest OP, I do not know how you could have described it any different, he was after all , an OLDER driver.. Its not like you said ALL old drivers are bad, but that is what you get on here sometimes, they assume you are talking about them, rather than look at it from the perspective it was written.

Some appear to dislike "old men considered bad drivers", and anyone saying such is shouted down.. but the same people then go on to say Young Drivers are worse... go figure.. its okay for them to be ageist when it suits them, but not for the "outer" circle....when talking about the older generation.

There are bad drivers both young and old, but when you see an old guy/lady run down a child... because of their "lack of ability" then clearly that OLD person needs to taken to task..... nothing ageist in that... as if it was a young driver the same we would hope he /she would also get taken to task....

Some sensible human beings know when it is time to hang up the keys and rely on relatives to run them around, others see it that you are denying them something, and not that they are dangerous.... many would never pass a modern driving test, and this is what many motorists of ALL ages fear......

Me I will do what my late father did, and hang my keys up, if I feel my driving is bad, or if one of my relatives tell me so. I have a wife and daughter both younger who drive, so its not like I cannot get out and about.

Just thankful the little girl was okay......our roads are becoming so dangerous these days....
Seafrost is offline   Reply With Quote