Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Overseas Club Members Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 3rd January 2015, 17:21   #21
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

I downloaded the book to my device Bruce and will pm you when I have finished reading it cheers Phil
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 09:49   #22
egremont
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE. Auto. Saloon. SE

Default As you have asked about our meets, Gate Keeper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Good day Bruce

Since your reminder about the book, I have discovered it is available as a download from Amazon and if I am able to I will certainly read it up. Most kind. I was given a book to read over Christmas called The Boat by Walter Gibson, a true war story of courage, cannabilism and endurance.

January and Febuary are the hottest months of the year in Kenya. Not too bad for us here, as we are not far from the equator, although bush can get as hot as 40 plus and the coast averages 28-33C throughout the year. An 8-12 hour drive from Nairobi.

It is fascinating to read about the MGR meets which are set up around the world, the Rover Club in Queensland, Kaiser goes to one in ZA Do keep us posted Bruce about the meets you go to with photos please?

What a treat you had on Christmas Day and extra special it was too
In response to your request about our Aussie meets, I may as well start with our recent 50th. Birthday Party for our local Melbourne club.
Members of other interstate clubs may like to have the opportunity of lodging a report on their hosted National Rove - it is a Biennial function and each club hosts in turn.

Meanwhile, here is the report I penned for our magazine - apologies for the length.

RCCA celebrates its Golden Jubilee.

Sunday, 19th. October, 2014 dawned with every promise of a glorious day.
This year 2014; marks the club’s half century - since it was foundered by George Gosbell and the late Ron Creber - proprietors of Crebel Motors.

The Birthday Committee put in many long hours of planning to ensure that this especial event was conducted to the club’s usual standard and most essentially, enjoyed by all in attendance.

Stephen Young was the chairman of the Jubilee Committee, and was ably supported by Peter Cass, Peter Duffell, George Gosbell, Greg Howard, Jane Petryszyn, David and Glenys Williamson, and Lucas Young. Whilst not a committee member, Elizabeth Nash spent tireless hours delving back through the clubs history to scan all the Rover photos onto a CD – the resultant CD formed part of the hand-outs to members.

The gates opened at 10.00 am. Upon arriving, the Rover vehicles were photographed as they motored down a sealed track to the grassed circular display arena beside the lake. Marshalls directed the vehicles into model groups with all cars focused towards the centre of the arena. Non- Rover cars were directed to another area beside the centre.

The sun shone and a gentle breeze across the lake kept the temperature pleasant.

The Rovers models (and their numbers) on display were:
Rover P3: 5 Rover P4: 7 Rover P5: 7 Rover P6: 12
Rover Cabrio: 1 Rover SD1: 5 Range Rover: 1 Land Rover: 1
Rover 75: 5

Steve Easdale’s 1964 Rover P5 was placed as a centrepiece on the arena - to reflect our 50 years of existence.

Perched like sentinels atop of a mound; proudly looking down on their pride of “One of Britain’s Fine Cars” were David Williamson’s 1925 Rover 9 and Greg Howard’s Rover 75 Tourer.

Never in the history of this club has the committee been so lavish in its contribution towards the cost of this event – much appreciated by all participating members. Hand-outs included a complimentary ticket for a drink (from the bar), a stylish lead free crystalline glass from Stozle Lausitz (with our 50th.insignia etched on it), place mats etc. Amongst the commercial goodies was the clubs “First 50years of the RCCA” booklet. It looked as though nothing had been overlooked by this committee.

Peter Duffell was the Master of Ceremonies. He kept the proceedings flowing without any dull moments. An excellent job, thanks Peter.

The catering was part of the Cardinia Cultural Centre’s package that also included the sole use of their dining room and display grounds. As if to reinforce this auspicious occasion, the circular tables were clothed in fine white linen and quality cutlery.

The buffet menu included roast beef, roast, lamb, roast pork with plenty of crackle and an excellent selection of roast vegetables, tossed salads, and sauces. Our M.C., Peter organised an orderly table by table procession to the buffet tables.

Sweets were just as enticing – the Cardinia staff serving alternate dishes of chocolate mousse and lemon meringue to patrons at the tables.

Steve Easdale baked the fruit cake and Chris Kershaw decorated it. After our meal, George Gosbell, Bruce Nicholson and Joan Creber cut the anniversary cake.

During the course of the luncheon, the following awards were announced.

Best presented Rovers:
Pre. P3: David Williamson P3: Don Thornhill.
P4: Grattan Fitzgerald. P5: David McArthur.
P6: George Gosbell. SD1/SE: Steve Young.
1996-1998: Glenys Williamson. 75: Pat Arlette.
Land /
Range Rover: Neil Mathieson

Other Awards:
RACV Presidents Award: Bruce Sanderson.
Founders Awards: Peter Duffel and Steve Young – P3s

On occasions, George Gosbell has said that he considers members to be an extension of his family. Not many can claim to have formed a club and witnessed its growth over 50 years – so it was pleasing to see our “proud old man” and Lorna sharing this occasion with all of his far spread family. Many of the Gosbell clan had travelled from South Australia, New South Wales, Country Victoria as well as metropolitan Melbourne to share this gathering with their proud parents.

It was nice to renew friendships with Life Member, Bruce Nicholson and some former members and friends. Neil Matherson (an early committee member), Les McKeon, Mike Vaughan (these two were an integral part of the Crebell team), John Cook, Neil Williams, Joan Creber, past president David Gedge and his wife, Sandra and others whose names I can’t recall. An apology was received from our Life Member, Dr. Harold Heatherington.

Members started to drift homewards at 4.00 pm. One was heard to ask another “Can it get any better than this”.
Now for the next fifty years!

Bruce Sanderson.

p.S. Local member, Mike Allfrey has forwarded some photos to me and I will try and send some later tonight.
Apologies for the length, but you asked for a report.

Kind regards to all
Bruce

Last edited by egremont; 5th January 2015 at 08:27.. Reason: Including Photo
egremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015, 10:00   #23
Last14
Loves to post

ZT 190 / 75 Club SE 2.5 x2 / 75 Connie 2.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by egremont View Post
Hi Juha
Welcome to the land down under. Have you caught up with the Rover Car Club of Queensland Inc? Their contact number is 0412 290 259. I am sure you will be most welcome!
Brisbane is some 1,400 kms north of Melbourne – has a humid subtropical climate. Ideal for the banana plantations that stretch from northern N.S.W. (say Coffs Harbour) to well into the Queensland coastal regions.
If the humidity gets too much for you, think about visiting the cooler region of Stanthorpe – in the granite country inland on the N.S.W. border. The RCCQ hosted the 2012 National Rove at Stanthorpe – centre of the Queensland grape and stone fruits industry. The temperature is cooler than Brisbane and not as humid. The boys in the local club will fill you in on this district. And do sample the local apple pies and cream.
Melbourne is said to have a moderate climate – due to its location (mentioned earlier) it does experience changeable weather conditions and can experience more than one season in a day.
Of course Queenslanders will remind you that it’s “ beautiful one day and perfect the next” up their way.

Trust you are enjoying your time here.
Bruce.
Hi Bruce, i have been over here a couple of years now, so have seen a few places, such as chilly Stanthorpe! I have been to a couple of meets, but until this xmas i have been working in remote parts of the country and the meets always seem to be on when i'm away! I did see the local Rover club couple years ago, as they meet up once a year just up the road at Ormiston House. Now i'm based in Brisbane CBD, i should hopefully be getting to as many as i can this year though. Thats the intention!!! And even a trip to Melbourne via Stanthorpe would be good, so any events that come up, post them on here and i'll try to time it if possible.

Cheers, Juha.
Old 5th January 2015, 04:51   #24
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
In response to your request about our Aussie meets, I may as well start with our recent 50th. Birthday Party for our local Melbourne club.
Members of other interstate clubs may like to have the opportunity of lodging a report on their hosted National Rove - it is a Biennial function and each club hosts in turn.

Meanwhile, here is the report I penned for our magazine - apologies for the length.

RCCA celebrates its Golden Jubilee.

Sunday, 19th. October, 2014 dawned with every promise of a glorious day.
This year 2014; marks the club’s half century - since it was foundered by George Gosbell and the late Ron Creber - proprietors of Crebel Motors.

The Birthday Committee put in many long hours of planning to ensure that this especial event was conducted to the club’s usual standard and most essentially, enjoyed by all in attendance.

Stephen Young was the chairman of the Jubilee Committee, and was ably supported by Peter Cass, Peter Duffell, George Gosbell, Greg Howard, Jane Petryszyn, David and Glenys Williamson, and Lucas Young. Whilst not a committee member, Elizabeth Nash spent tireless hours delving back through the clubs history to scan all the Rover photos onto a CD – the resultant CD formed part of the hand-outs to members.

The gates opened at 10.00 am. Upon arriving, the Rover vehicles were photographed as they motored down a sealed track to the grassed circular display arena beside the lake. Marshalls directed the vehicles into model groups with all cars focused towards the centre of the arena. Non- Rover cars were directed to another area beside the centre.

The sun shone and a gentle breeze across the lake kept the temperature pleasant.

The Rovers models (and their numbers) on display were:
Rover P3: 5 Rover P4: 7 Rover P5: 7 Rover P6: 12
Rover Cabrio: 1 Rover SD1: 5 Range Rover: 1 Land Rover: 1
Rover 75: 5

Steve Easdale’s 1964 Rover P5 was placed as a centrepiece on the arena - to reflect our 50 years of existence.

Perched like sentinels atop of a mound; proudly looking down on their pride of “One of Britain’s Fine Cars” were David Williamson’s 1925 Rover 9 and Greg Howard’s Rover 75 Tourer.

Never in the history of this club has the committee been so lavish in its contribution towards the cost of this event – much appreciated by all participating members. Hand-outs included a complimentary ticket for a drink (from the bar), a stylish lead free crystalline glass from Stozle Lausitz (with our 50th.insignia etched on it), place mats etc. Amongst the commercial goodies was the clubs “First 50years of the RCCA” booklet. It looked as though nothing had been overlooked by this committee.

Peter Duffell was the Master of Ceremonies. He kept the proceedings flowing without any dull moments. An excellent job, thanks Peter.

The catering was part of the Cardinia Cultural Centre’s package that also included the sole use of their dining room and display grounds. As if to reinforce this auspicious occasion, the circular tables were clothed in fine white linen and quality cutlery.

The buffet menu included roast beef, roast, lamb, roast pork with plenty of crackle and an excellent selection of roast vegetables, tossed salads, and sauces. Our M.C., Peter organised an orderly table by table procession to the buffet tables.

Sweets were just as enticing – the Cardinia staff serving alternate dishes of chocolate mousse and lemon meringue to patrons at the tables.

Steve Easdale baked the fruit cake and Chris Kershaw decorated it. After our meal, George Gosbell, Bruce Nicholson and Joan Creber cut the anniversary cake.

During the course of the luncheon, the following awards were announced.

Best presented Rovers:
Pre. P3: David Williamson P3: Don Thornhill.
P4: Grattan Fitzgerald. P5: David McArthur.
P6: George Gosbell. SD1/SE: Steve Young.
1996-1998: Glenys Williamson. 75: Pat Arlette.
Land /
Range Rover: Neil Mathieson

Other Awards:
RACV Presidents Award: Bruce Sanderson.
Founders Awards: Peter Duffel and Steve Young – P3s

On occasions, George Gosbell has said that he considers members to be an extension of his family. Not many can claim to have formed a club and witnessed its growth over 50 years – so it was pleasing to see our “proud old man” and Lorna sharing this occasion with all of his far spread family. Many of the Gosbell clan had travelled from South Australia, New South Wales, Country Victoria as well as metropolitan Melbourne to share this gathering with their proud parents.

It was nice to renew friendships with Life Member, Bruce Nicholson and some former members and friends. Neil Matherson (an early committee member), Les McKeon, Mike Vaughan (these two were an integral part of the Crebell team), John Cook, Neil Williams, Joan Creber, past president David Gedge and his wife, Sandra and others whose names I can’t recall. An apology was received from our Life Member, Dr. Harold Heatherington.

Members started to drift homewards at 4.00 pm. One was heard to ask another “Can it get any better than this”.
Now for the next fifty years!

Bruce Sanderson.

p.S. Local member, Mike Allfrey has forwarded some photos to me and I will try and send some later tonight.
Apologies for the length, but you asked for a report.

Kind regards to all
Bruce
Thanks for writing this up Bruce. I did not find it long at all. In fact I read it several times and compared the 50th to this clubs annual meets. I was impressed to read about the complimentary gifts being handed out to the members, inc the first free drink and crystal glass - most generous. I look forward to seeing the photos when you have the time

I was able to download the book from Kindle Bruce, many thanks
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 07:31   #25
planenut
Regional Secretary

Rover 1.8T Tourer

Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,264 Posts

Great report, thanks.
planenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2015, 11:51   #26
egremont
Loves to post

Default Here are a couple of photos.

A quick note to inform you that I have now included two photos at the bottom of my above report - post #22. Mike Allfrey has sent some more photos to me - but I am not an expert when it comes to attaching photos.

Juha - If and when you come to Melbourne, you will be most welcome - send me a PM before you arrive. You are able to Google details of our Victorian club, the Rover Car Club of Australia Inc. We meet on the second Friday of the month - January excepted; and our December Christmas Dinner / Awards evening is held at a local golf club. We are fortunate in having a vibrant Events Co-Ordinator - she often has four to six or more clip boards circulating at our meetings - for members to register their interest in forthcoming events.

Gate Keeper, Phil - I must admit that I have not finished reading the book - the authors dad was a prisoner on the Burma Railway. Do you remember the David Lean film, The Bridge over the River Kwai? Guess that I have been trying to do too many things at the same time. Time on the Traction Control Actuator (drawing, measurements, angles etc.) in the hope that 3D Printers may be able to make replacement gears in titanium. 3D printing has so much potential. Then the weeks rolled by as I tried to decipher our Fob keys - a real teaser as the 0-9 A-F really fooled me in looking at a hexidecimal system.
Thanks to all for their feedback.
Bruce.
Old 6th January 2015, 22:06   #27
Roger1
Loves to post

2004 Rover 75 Conn SE 2.5 Tourer; 2022 MG HS; 2021 MG ZST

Happy New Year to you all, from the deep south! It's been a great summer here so far, with temperatures hitting 30 degrees C from time to time. Pretty hot for NZ. Both the cars have been out for a few decent runs, although the V8 is spending more time under cover than it used to - just to keep the mileage down and maintain the shine!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Roger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2015, 05:01   #28
egremont
Loves to post

Default Thanks for your wishes, Roger I

Thank you for your New Year's wishes, Roger.

Please take it as being reciprocated to you and all your fellow club members "across the ditch".
I seem to recall that your business visits to OZ centre around Sydney, but if you do happen to come to Melbourne, we would love to meet you.

It is 4.50pm and my computer tells me that our current temperature is - still - 38 deg. C.

Thought you may have been enjoying your 260 (a little more) during the fuel price reduction. For the first time in years, the local media have been stating that petrol has dropped below AUD $1.00 per litre in the metropolitan area. Of course that is for the lower grade RON91 - that we can't use. There is not as much competition in the country towns and they still seem to pay quite a lot more. They say that there is a world glut of fuel at the moment. Somewhat surprised as this is the European winter season when heating is at a premium.

Hope everything is settling down as much as can be expected in Christchurch.

Again my best wishes to you and your family for 2015. May peace, good health, happiness and prosperity follow you.
Bruce.
Old 16th January 2015, 11:20   #29
Last14
Loves to post

ZT 190 / 75 Club SE 2.5 x2 / 75 Connie 2.5

Quote:
A quick note to inform you that I have now included two photos at the bottom of my above report - post #22. Mike Allfrey has sent some more photos to me - but I am not an expert when it comes to attaching photos.

Juha - If and when you come to Melbourne, you will be most welcome - send me a PM before you arrive. You are able to Google details of our Victorian club, the Rover Car Club of Australia Inc. We meet on the second Friday of the month - January excepted; and our December Christmas Dinner / Awards evening is held at a local golf club. We are fortunate in having a vibrant Events Co-Ordinator - she often has four to six or more clip boards circulating at our meetings - for members to register their interest in forthcoming events.

Gate Keeper, Phil - I must admit that I have not finished reading the book - the authors dad was a prisoner on the Burma Railway. Do you remember the David Lean film, The Bridge over the River Kwai? Guess that I have been trying to do too many things at the same time. Time on the Traction Control Actuator (drawing, measurements, angles etc.) in the hope that 3D Printers may be able to make replacement gears in titanium. 3D printing has so much potential. Then the weeks rolled by as I tried to decipher our Fob keys - a real teaser as the 0-9 A-F really fooled me in looking at a hexidecimal system.
Thanks to all for their feedback.
Bruce.
Thanks for the information, i will be sure to drop you a line when i head down your way at some point....would be great to catch up.

I went for a good drive today, some great driving roads and scenery, about 5hrs round trip over the border into NSW today, to go climb Mt.Warning. Reasonably tough and hot day, but worth it. Have attached a pic of the ZT at the base of the Mt. and a view from the top. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZT.jpg (20.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6489.jpg (142.0 KB, 5 views)
Old 16th January 2015, 13:15   #30
egremont
Loves to post

Thanks for the pics. Looks to be quite rugged. If you want to see some tough terrain, check out the Western Arthurs in the south west of Tasmania.
Will be brief - past 1.00 am.
I enjoyed the National Rove in Stanthorp - yes it is cooler, but I don't mind that.
Have you visited the Glass House mountains? Never been there myself, but some of my friends spoke of them when they were Rover Scouts.
Look forward to meeting you when you venture south.
All the best and kind regards,

Bruce.