Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th July 2012, 20:02   #21
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reworht View Post
I knew I had it somewhere (it was a scanned letter, filed on a 3.5"" floppy disk ).
This was the answer from the Snakemaster manufacturers when I queried the "disconnect before reversing" warning many years ago:-
With car and van coupled, on level surface and both in straight line, there should be 100mm of the leaf spring protruding to the rear of the locating shoe.
If the stabiliser is mounted to the right of the towball, full lock to the left will pull the leaf forwards in the shoe, and full right will push it further into the shoe.
If reversing on full right lock, the retracting action of the hitch will push the spring still further into the shoe. Because of the arc in the spring, downward pressure will reduce, and it is likely that the spring will "hop" over the edge of the shoe - which could damage your A frame fairing. This is probably why disconnecting the stabiliser for reversing is recommended.
If the stabiliser is mounted to the left of the towball, the situation is the same, but the opposite steering locks apply.

I'd go out and see if the theory is right - but guess what? - its raining
Mmmmm, I've never heard that before....

I have had mine 20+ years and never taken it off ever, for reversing - but then it is not a Snakemaster. So long I have forgotten its name and the company has gone out of business anyway. Rather than a flat spring, it is made from two rods, with two coils forming the spring. The two rods are joined into one at the caravan end (a U) and that U part sits on the A frame bracket and slides back and forth on a shaped nylon block.

I have had it on several cars and caravans. I just test it on both full locks to make sure there are no potential colisions when fitted.

I must say it has worked very well indeed, I have never had it snake and heaving it onto the bracket takes much of the weight off the car's rear suspension.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 20:09   #22
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

I'm off to Derbyshire with the 'van in 3 weeks time - I'll test the theory and report back
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 18:57   #23
ssizefive
I really should get out more.......

Mg Tf160

Well, just got back from the Yorkshire spanner weekend & am pleased to say the caravan journey was a success . The weather was poor on Friday, the traffic was awful, the M62 was pretty much a carpark but the car & caravan were totally fine, the stabilizer worked a treat so thanks for all the advice from everyone, it certainly helped.

Steve
ssizefive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2012, 20:03   #24
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

I too have a snakemaster,and like Harry don't bother removing it while reversing,unless I'm turning whist reversing,in which case,I remove it