Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th February 2011, 17:12   #21
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 club se tourer CDT and a Connoisseur SE Diesel Auto Saloon

Well i've handed over my credit card to the sum of £681.19! for my parts including a dual mass flywheel and 2 litres of MTF 94 gearbox oil. If i don't use the flywheel they will accept it back for a refund and have printed the fact on the receipt. I've opened the flywheel box to check what the fuss is all about and the centre of the flywheel has quite a lot of free play as standard! So i'm keen to compare it with the old one.
patrolman pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 17:34   #22
steve 135+
Regular poster

MG ZT 135+

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
Well i've handed over my credit card to the sum of £681.19! for my parts including a dual mass flywheel and 2 litres of MTF 94 gearbox oil. If i don't use the flywheel they will accept it back for a refund and have printed the fact on the receipt. I've opened the flywheel box to check what the fuss is all about and the centre of the flywheel has quite a lot of free play as standard! So i'm keen to compare it with the old one.
Hi If you check your new DMF there will be no more movement than 25mm, checking your old one, as i said max of 30mm movement anything above, replace it, don't forget to check the face for damage, Steve
steve 135+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2011, 18:13   #23
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the advice Steve. The car is booked in for the clutch change next Wednesday in a local garage that my mate works for. He was able to get a staff discount even though it is a Ford main dealer it still is cheaper than i was quoted by the local x-part dealer for just the labour and my mate has done one of these before ( he said they are a swine to do!)
Old 24th February 2011, 16:56   #24
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

It's done! On my way to the garage i gave her a bit of throttle to see if it was any worse and there was no slipping! But they don't slip for nothing so in she went and my mate lent me his jag x-type for the day (cads car!) and i waited for the verdict. The slave cylinder fell apart when the box was removed . The clutch pressure plate had a bit of blueing but the friction plate was close but not on the rivets. So it has been assumed the the dual mass flywheel was slipping? plus it had about 25mm of play compared to 10mm on the new one so it was changed(it weighs about the same as an engine so no wonder the engines are smooth!) I thought the pedal was spot on before but what a difference it has made now! It's like the clutch on a japanese car it is so light! So yes it was expensive and it needed doing but made a great car even better to drive so i'm happy.

Andy , i didn't want to risk a drive to Doncaster but thanks for your offer.
Old 13th May 2011, 18:16   #25
ronbax
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer

Default flywheel wear

hi pete,
some info please; where did you measure the wear on the flywheel?? i.e. at the periphery??

regards
ronbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2011, 20:22   #26
patrolman pete
Posted a thing or two

My mate did the job and if i remember he rotated the centre of the flywheel side to side comparing it with the new one and decided it wasn't worth the risk not to fit it so that the gearbox did not have to come out again. In the end it did have to come out again as the gearbox input shaft seal failed so i would advise changing this as it only costs about £16 inc the 'o' ring and could save some heartache. The clutch is still light and smooth and still being paid off!
Old 13th May 2011, 20:33   #27
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrolman pete View Post
That's not a bad price,I just paid £873, to have the same job done,Master,cnc,clutch kit,dmf,and fluid,+oil