Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum > Sat Nav Hardware & Software > Double Din Navigation Systems
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st May 2010, 06:51   #361
para999
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Begiorlegi View Post
Well, Tony, my english is not very good, and maybe I am wrong.
What I want is just the same that my Symphony does. If I have 12 preset stations and I don't remember where is BBC1, I push buttons 1-2-3... until its name appears in the screen. If I can only see the frequency number I dunno what I'm tuning, and does not seem very helpful to preset anything. Of course I can memorize 4 or 5 frequencies, but.... 18?

So, the question is, if I push button number 4 (preset station) thinking it's BBC1, what I'm gonna see, only the number frequency or/and the name of the station?

Thanks for your help.
Hi

Every time you touch one of the presets and change frequency, it will show the RDS name of the station broadcasting assuming that the station transmits RDS. All of the mainstream stations do in the UK...BBC, large commercials ones, but some of the very small stations don't.

Last edited by para999; 21st May 2010 at 07:05.. Reason: spelling mistake
para999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 07:32   #362
Mannie
Avid contributor

MGZT-T 260 Supercharged

Quote:
What I want is just the same that my Symphony does. If I have 12 preset stations and I don't remember where is BBC1, I push buttons 1-2-3... until its name appears in the screen. If I can only see the frequency number I dunno what I'm tuning, and does not seem very helpful to preset anything. Of course I can memorize 4 or 5 frequencies, but.... 18?

So, the question is, if I push button number 4 (preset station) thinking it's BBC1, what I'm gonna see, only the number frequency or/and the name of the station?

Thanks for your help.
The way I do it is to put the BBc ones in order 1234 then in order my favourites eg 6= Kerrang 7=Absolute and so on I don't have 18 stations I like so I guess for me that works
Old 21st May 2010, 08:12   #363
tony_fry
I really should get out more.......

BMW I3

Quote:

Thanks for your help.
Hello Eliseo, the screen has 6 stations on each band, giving 18 FM stations, then you look at the screen is shows the only the frequency, when you touch each station, it wil then show the RDS name (if available), I have taken some of pictures to try to explain:-

Sorry about the picture quality on the one below (taken with IPHONE!!! you have to have a steady hand)

As you seen it shows the Station Name and if you look the the frequency is is highlighted in blue

One thing I do not know about is some on the stations have "EON" next to the "TP" symbol I am not sure what that is!! Perhaps another member could tell me.

Membership No 135

Last edited by tony_fry; 21st May 2010 at 08:36..
tony_fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 09:26   #364
Begiorlegi
Kingdom of Navarre

Rover 75

Thanks for your explanations. No problem in that case...

Tony, I had fitted a Kenwood unit in an old car with RDS EON, and it gives you information about traffic. It was very helpful here in Spain. Because of my english, I prefer copy and paste this:

Enhanced Other Networks (EON) Most RDS tuners are now fitted with the EON facility, which offers the ability for local stations to 'break into' a national station's broadcast for the duration of a Traffic Announcement. When listening to a BBC national station, such as BBC Radio 3, EON will tell the radio about any traffic bulletins being broadcast by BBC stations in the local area. The radio would switch to the local BBC radio station for the travel bulletin, then back to the national station when the bulletin had finished. For example, when travelling through Oxford whilst BBC Radio 2 is tuned-in, the radio will switch to BBC Radio Oxford for any travel bulletins, with the TA function switched on. This feature is not usually implemented on commercial radio stations, such as Classic FM. While a proportion of the RDS datastream is used to provide programme and contact information for Classic FM, a small amount is classed as an "Additional Services Licence". This spare capacity on the RDS is used by Itis Holdings to provide a RDS-TMC (Radio Data System-Traffic Message Channel) service, using Classic FM's RDS. Cars fitted with the necessary electronics are able to decode this information and it is used to provide navigational and traffic information.

Regards.

Last edited by Begiorlegi; 21st May 2010 at 10:25.. Reason: I can see the pic now, thanks!
Begiorlegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 09:42   #365
tony_fry

BMW I3

Quote:

This feature is not usually implemented on commercial radio stations, such as Classic FM. While a proportion of the RDS datastream is used to provide programme and contact information for Classic FM, a small amount is classed as an "Additional Services Licence". This spare capacity on the RDS is used by Itis Holdings to provide a RDS-TMC (Radio Data System-Traffic Message Channel) service, using Classic FM's RDS. Cars fitted with the necessary electronics are able to decode this information and it is used to provide navigational and traffic information.

Regards.
Hi Eliseo,

Thanks for letting me know what it relates too.

I am very interested in the TMC part of it, I really wanted this on my unit (which I paid extra for, but not received even on my replacement unit).

I know a "few" buyers of the units have TMC working, but the "factory" do not know how they have got it, and others don't.

I have been in contact with Sean about it, he has been advised that a firmware change is all that's need to get the TMC working on the RDS units, but the factory are dragging their heals, and do not seem to WANT to be very helpful with any updates to the firmware.

Now to the next question, does any of our "computer" boffin's know how to extract the firmware data from the head unit of the units with the TMC working, then we could possibly update our firmware on our units?.

Membership No 135
Old 21st May 2010, 09:57   #366
RichB
Gets stuck in

ZT260 SE, ZT-T+ CDTi

The fact that TMC is not yet guaranteed on these units is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. This is a must have for me and in fact I have a new message centre IPK and TMC module sat in my garage that I have been putting off fitting for the past few months waiting on news of these units!

Rich
53 MG ZT 260 SE Monogram Garnet Red #073
61 Seat Exeo ST TDI Daily Driver
99 Mazda MX-5 Turbo tracktoy
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 10:08   #367
tony_fry

BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
The fact that TMC is not yet guaranteed on these units is the only reason I haven't bought one yet. This is a must have for me and in fact I have a new message centre IPK and TMC module sat in my garage that I have been putting off fitting for the past few months waiting on news of these units!

Rich
The IPK traffic master (which I also have fitted, is no were as good as the TMC on the head units, as I said I have paid extra for it on my unit, but it is STILL NOT working, I know it can be done as the head unit I have just got rid off had it and it worked great.

It must be time for Sean to put more pressure on the factory to get this problem resolved.

Membership No 135
Old 21st May 2010, 11:04   #368
para999
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_fry View Post
The IPK traffic master (which I also have fitted, is no were as good as the TMC on the head units, as I said I have paid extra for it on my unit, but it is STILL NOT working, I know it can be done as the head unit I have just got rid off had it and it worked great.

It must be time for Sean to put more pressure on the factory to get this problem resolved.
Hi Tony... I know this is not for this thread really...but saw a silver 75 driving through Barnstaple several times today and thought of you.... Index number.. (*single number).. * FRY!!
para999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 11:44   #369
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

Any half decent radio unit built in last three years or so all have RDS and EON as standard,
cannot believe this unit is so out of date with what users want and should be fitted with as standard.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 15:22   #370
tony_fry

BMW I3

Quote:
Originally Posted by para999 View Post
Hi Tony... I know this is not for this thread really...but saw a silver 75 driving through Barnstaple several times today and thought of you.... Index number.. (*single number).. * FRY!!
How spoky is that mines T6 FRY

Membership No 135