Notices

Old 23rd June 2015, 20:54   #31
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
What a sad thread. The driver of the car in post 1 was in no doubt at fault but his reaction along with the passenger could well be caused by many things, shock, illness, and bad temper. What annoys me most is the fact that the driver wasn't even treated with an ounce of kindness, I understand the girl was hurt and I know the driver was in the wrong but we cannot be judge and jury.

May I remind people that we all grow old and may become an embarrassment to our family.
I'm actually shocked at some of the ageist comments here.
I'd like to see how some would react in some of the situations I've been in on the road!
how many of us shout at our own kids when they do something dangerous or hurt themselves... I have done it and not out of anger but out of fear...
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:17   #32
uk_dave&gill
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray55 View Post
Those types of roads are National Speed Limit Applies, so a HGV or PSV vehicle is by law allowed to do a maximum speed of 40 mph. Then there will be farm traffic going even slower. Fine and sunny conditions do not determine "good road conditions", Today's drivers want to reach their destination 5 mins earlier come what may. They have no patience. Age does not come into it but impatient people do. A maximum speed limit 30, 40, 50 or 60 does not mean we have to achieve that speed.

Sorry for slightly swaying away from OPs original thread.
Also slightly swaying away from thread, but regarding the BIB, as of 6th April this year, HGV limits have altered, so whereas it was single carriageway 40mph, dual carriageway 50mph and motorway 60mph, it's now gone up on the first two to 50mph and 60mph respectively, although any vehicle over 7.5 tonnes is physically speed limited to 56mph max. Not sure about PSV mind!

EDIT: Although it would appear this applies to England and Wales only, not Scotland (see here)

Last edited by uk_dave&gill; 23rd June 2015 at 21:20..
uk_dave&gill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 21:22   #33
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

One of my work colleagues ran down and killed a young girl at a crossing around 20 years ago, she appeared from nowhere and sped across the crossing, neither had a chance. John was 48 at the time and the girl was 7.
I too hit a 15 year old lad at 40 mph when he darted out behind a bus, he survived but was critically injured.
You never forget those instances, they are with you till you die.
I wasn't charged and was told by the police not to even think of giving up driving, mind you it's 37 years ago and because of it I went to IAM and also did the ROSPA driving course.
One thing I did learn was never to get rattled or angry at other drivers or their mistakes. One thing though I see every day is rubbish driving, and in the main they are younger than my 61 years!
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:20   #34
trimani
Passed Away

ROVER 75 V6 2Ltr 2001 AUTO / EMERALD MOTORBILITY SCOOTER

I hate these 'Generalisations' Needless to say, I am from the 'Older Ranks' of our club membership.

I had my licence revoked for 'Medical Reasons'.

I reapplied for my licence to be restored nearly 2 years later, and I was successful.

I would point out that I cannot walk very far, and when I do it is with a 'Zimmer Frame'. But I consider that does not effect my concentration on my driving, and neither do the DVLA, or my Consultant and my Doctor.

When I consider my capacity to drive safely has diminished, I will give up. How will I know. My wife is also a skilled driver and she would not be a passenger in my car if she was at all concerned.

Just pay attention, keep off those blasted phones, and consider all other road users, and pedestrians

Take Care Everyone.

trimani (ALF)
trimani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 22:35   #35
Simondi
Regional Secretary

MGTF, MG ZS EV Exclusive

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,857 Posts

What an awful thing to have witnessed or indeed to be involved in.

Clearly emotions are high but please can we refrain from making personal comments
Simondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 04:40   #36
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

It could be quite possible that she had not looked and just went onto the crossing.
I almost hit a young boy about 10 or 12 yrs old many years ago, he was running along the footpath on my left and I mean running very fast and without warning he took a sharp right onto the crossing. If I had been going at speed limit (30) I would have hit him as there were no warning at all, something had me slowing, maybe God was looking out for him that day.
Kids can be more stupid sometimes and do not think.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 07:20   #37
KenR
Loves to post

2.5 V6 Rover 75 saloon

This is a very emotive post because of our own personal experiences and beliefs. I totally understand how the OP could write the opening post as he was still stressed by the event and I think fair play to him for intervening. We were not there and details of the incident are what they are.

There is sometimes a tendency to generalise but that is life and lets face it, no nuns or kittens will die because of some wording in a post on a car forum

I'm in my 50's and like to think I am a reasonable driver. I have done silly things in my youth and occasionally later in my years. I am not perfect. My wife will confirm this because according to her, she actually is.

There are idiots of all ages in cars. Always have been and there always will. Fact of life.

There are sadly a number of older drivers who for various reasons are unwilling to stop driving or who are in denial about their declining ability or safety to drive. I agree that the transport facilities in this country are dire in pl;aces and for some older people this could indeed lead to a lack of social contact or reduced independance. I had to inform the DVLA about my lovely Dads reduced ability to drive safely. It was horrible. He was a former RSM by the way

My job as a mental health nurse means that I have to deal with referrals to mental health services, this entails speaking to people of all ages. We had a GP referral for an individual who was having memory problems, the GP referral was quite skimpy on the details. I tried to contact the person to explore the issues but the number was unobtainable.

I spoke to the persons daughter who confirmed that the person was driving without tax, MOT or insurance as they had forgotten to get it sorted. I mentioned to the daughter that the relative was driving illegally but she replied that they were only doing local journeys to the shops and back. Well that's ok then, not. She went on to tell me some other rather worrying details of this persons behaviour and I asked her if she could try and persuade her relative to not drive for a while until assessed further. She eventually but reluctantly agreed but she really couldn't see what the big deal was. I spoke to the GP who initially could not have been more arrogant or dismissive until I provided further information which the GP was not aware of. The GP grudgingly agreed to have a word with the patient. I almost said to the GP that I hoped not to hear in the news about this person causing an accident but I did refrain.

Getting older is a fact of life, it does not necessarily make you a bad driver. However, there are consequences to getting older that impact on ones mental health and physical health and which can impact on driving ability. We have to ask about driving and flag up any risks or potential risks identified, this is a duty of care situation. I would also do the same if a younger person gave me concern, if driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs or whilst psychotic or suicidal for instance. I have called police after people have seen me if they refuse to not drive whilst clearly under the influence and I will continue to do so.

The young girl using the crossing may or may not have done it properly, I don't know, I wasn't there. The driver may have been at fault, again we weren't there. It was obviously a really unpleasant situation all round, so lets not get too wound up by wording and lets be happy that no-one was injured, cars after all can have a panel or two bolted on if dented, not so for a young child, older person or adult of working age using a crossing.

Take care everyone, young or older
1996 Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol

Last edited by KenR; 24th June 2015 at 07:53..
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 07:28   #38
KenR
Loves to post

2.5 V6 Rover 75 saloon

I've just spotted this on the 'internet news'. Thought it might be something to share in respect to my previous posting.

Medical professionals are urging for a review of the rules concerning drivers with dementia, following concerns that the current system is allowing potentially dangerous drivers to remain behind the wheel.

GPs are to ask the British Medical Association (BMA) to review guidance given to front-line medical staff on assessing an elderly person's driving safety, to better accommodate those with an early dementia diagnosis.

Under current rules, a driver diagnosed with dementia must inform the DVLA or face a £1,000 fine. Drivers over the age of 70 must also reaffirm their ability to drive and apply for a new licence every three years

GP Dr Peter Holden, who is to raise the issue at the BMA's annual meeting in Liverpool, highlighted that it was only family doctors who were currently in the position of being able to prevent a potential tragedy by stopping sufferers who are unable to drive safely.

The Telegraph reported him as saying: "I expect that this would only affect four or five patients per practice where this is an issue, but we wouldn't accept four or five marauding gunmen."

While accident statistics did not normally record ill health as a factor, Dr Holden estimates that dementia could be a factor in several thousand accidents every year, with the situation made worse by poor public transport provision forcing elderly drivers to keep their cars.

However, mental health charities have warned against spreading alarm. George McNamara, spokesman for the Alzheimer's Society, said: "Scaremongering is not helpful in making rational decisions in this area. A dementia diagnosis is not in itself a reason to stop driving."
1996 Ford Galaxy 2.0 petrol
KenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 07:50   #39
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Good post KenR
Thanks.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2015, 09:24   #40
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMGRS View Post
Wow, that's an awful thing to happen.
I used to think 'older drivers' were bad until I moved to where I live now - and it's the exact opposite. Young people in 'souped up' Corsas all over the place, and middle-managers in Ingsignias in the wrong lanes at roundabouts, cutting people up for the sake of saving 2 seconds.

I was, funnily enough, involved in a similar incident where a taxi hit someone and the driver tried to drive off - my quick-thinking won, and I got in the back of his car while on the 'phone to the Police.
Far from restraining drivers trying to the flee the scene and putting yourself in danger far better to get the registration and vehicle description and report it to the police. Leaving the scene of an injury accident without leaving your details to anyone who requests them is a serious offence in itself. Go on, let them compound the error - when the more serious offence is committed the police guidelines mean a more thorough investigation of the accident will be carried out even if the injuries turn out to only be minor.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote